“Restaurant”

and 1 more site!
The Dumbuck House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dumbarton
Reviewed 25 February 2013

It had been a long time since we dined in the Dumbuck. We were there yesterday and were delighted with the food and the ambiance of this tastefully decorated establishment. Well worth giving it a try.

3  Thank Calum M

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Our family arranged a surprise Golden Weddding party for us at the Dumbuck Hotel which was a great success thanks largely to the efforts of the hotel staff. The wecome to the hotel was warm and friendly. The three course meal was beautifully presented, hot and tasty and well served by the efficient young waiting staff. The bar staff were smart and patient when people were reluctant to leave at the end of the evening. None of the other guests had anything but praise for the efforts made by the staff.

We spent the night in the honeymood suite. This was warm and comfortable although a bit noisy when traffic started moving in the morning. Breakfast was adequate but with a few minor adjustments could have been excellent. Overall a great night and would recommend this hotel for a party or wedding reception.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I had booked the Dumbuck House to hold a surprise party for my folks Golden Wedding Party, through a groupon deal. I had been to the hotel on a couple of occassions before the actual night to try the food. It was a bit of a hit or a miss on those days.. I am happy to say, that it was excellent on the actual night. Laura the events manager, and her team, were helpful and efficient. The venue is great for a smalll initmate party. All our guests commented on the lovely decor and the facilities. They also commented on the friendliness of the staff. Nothing was too much bother. We stayed in various sized rooms. The honeymoon suite is beautiful, and the orinate carved wooden superking sized bed looked stunning. The other rooms we had were all tastefuly decorated, with new ensuite faciities.
Constructive comments for the management team:
I would have liked my guests to have had access to a cloak room to hang their coats up.
That a member of staff pour the wine that was on the table, for the guests during the meal.
The sound proofing between bedrooms, I was able to hear my brother chatting to a friend in the next room 102 and my son was chatting to his friend in 104. I was in 103.
I am not sure how that issue could be resolved? It was fine for one night, plus we knew each other so wasnt too much of a problem.. I am not sure how I would have felt if it had been other guests?
Again, I had my doubts, thought might get a poorer service as it was a groupon deal, but NO! It was a first class night, with a 1st class team of staff.

Room Tip: ask for the honeymoon suite, large spacious and a stunning bed!
1  Thank Kathryn47
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We have eaten here before and it has been inconsistent in standard. Today we thought we'd give it another go. On arrival the waitress greeted us with disdain. She handed us "lunch menu". no offer of any alternative. The ,"lunch" menu consisted of 4 basic main courses, no starter, no dessert, very odd! We sat in the bar as sun was streaming through windows, and we have to make the most of that! We had to ask for the a la carte menu for more choice. It did state on menu that they could cater for Coeliacs, but on request to waitress was told "no, " they couldn't. The table hadn't beeen cleaned, cutlery wasn't clean, outside area was dirty, tables, chairs etc. We ordered Mussels ( maincourse as starter 20 ) , sauce watery and tasteless, no fingerbowl and no bread for my partner who is not Coeliac, it wasn't even offered. Maincourse of Paella was tasteless, Spaghetti Carbonara, again watery sauce, and lacking in any real taste. It really makes me sad that such a lovely building in such a catchment area are making no effort to woo local as well as passing trade with their woeful frontage, untrained and disinterested staff, no apparent management, although that shouldn't be an issue but is if the above isn't being addressed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

Had our Christmas lunch here and safe to say it has put me off completely, we were the only people in the restaurant and service was very slow.

Starter was ok at best and the fish dish was a bit of fish with Parmesan, 2 small new potatoes and a tiny amount of veg, very dry and not pleasant at all.

Staff are friendly and place looks lovely so I would imagine the rooms are nice but not recommended for food.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Normally my family and I ate at another hotel for Christmas but they were shut due to refurbishments. Never been to the Dumbuck before. We booked a table for 10 as the menu looked exciting and tasty. Once at the table the starter came out (me) meant to be a mixed game terrine (full of raw carrot etc) with a small limp carrot and??? salad with very very crunchy thin bread Could not eat it. The main course (me) 2 slices of very very very thin roast beef with grizzle and they forgot to put the frozen yorkshire on it, really small portions of veg and pot. Dessert - Apple and cinammon crumble with caramel sauce and cream. The crumble was ok at the top when you started eating it the apple was hard with a wattery consistancy at the bottom do not know what happened to the caramel sauce??? In the MIDDLE of eating all our so called dessert's we were given tea or coffee (In other words move on) My family and I did not say anything at the time as we had our elderly realations with us and did not want to cause them any discomfort on Christmas Day. Abviously the party of 10 had different starters, mains and desserts but they all came to the same conclusion. Any other time I would have sent it back and left. The staff were rushed of there feet and trying to find one to get anything like a glass of water was a nightmare. It was a lovely looking place with lovely decor etc, but the whole experience was like a cattle market. I do not know what you think but £43 a head is a lot of money to me. Group of 10 £430 . Never again.Would not recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ellen M
Reviewed 29 December 2012

It was a last minute decision to eat out for christmas. Our daughter made a good choice, the selection on the menu was excellant. We obviously had different choices and all were very pleased with their meal ,it was cooked properly and was warm on arrival at the table.
The staff were helpfull, pleasant and very friendly without being over the top considering this had been their third sitting.
We return for another meal soon just to check if it is still as good

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumbarton
The Abbotsford Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Kilcreggan Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilcreggan

Been to The Dumbuck House Hotel? Share your experiences!