“Uncomfortable stay”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dumbarton
Stornoway, United Kingdom
“Uncomfortable stay”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We arrived and it looked dirty from the outside and didn't disappoint us when we went inside. Lived up to what we saw from outside, the paintwork,decor was what I think the designers would call distressed, Below us the music played late in to the night and kept us awake, Hotel dining room wasn't open for breakfast had to go to cafe adjoining it. For £50 it was to much. Would rate even Travelodge higher that the Hotel and that's saying something. I was going to offer them my expertise, from filling in the holes to the color scheme that might improve the look of the place. We rate the Hotel with a zero. It looked a nice secluded Hotel in the brochure, but very disappointed. " Their Loss. The whole place was very dark and gloomy and would have appealed to the Munsters or the Adams family - they would feel really at home! JI

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dorothy365

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Based on the differing reviews here I suspect that Dumbuck House has a variety of different quality rooms. Ours was quite dirty with peeling stained walls, dirty carpets and what looked like it may be some mould from water damage in the bathroom (though it could also have been something stuck to the wall).

Through the rest of the hotel, it looked like they put a lot of work into their lobby area (which may explain the really positive reviews for events). However, on the floor with the rooms, they had peeling wall paper and even exposed areas that appeared to be water damaged. They had a flood light in the parking lot pointed directly into our room towards the bed and did not have fully opaque curtains to block it out.

Ultimately not worth the price. I have stayed in double rooms in hostels that were much cleaner and more comfortable.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Dumbarton hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped here on our way to Skye and was disappointed. Bed was very uncomfortable and above the coffee bar playing 30s music until late. I know we should expect that but couldn't even drown it out with the telly. I think it is OK for the price we paid. Breakfast was great

1 Thank DerekJB
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Booked the hotel to break up the journey and wasn't disappointed. The room looked newly decorated and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had a large bath with a good over head shower. We had a dinner in the hotel and thought the food could be a little better but did enjoy the very generous portion if sticky toffee pudding. Found the staff very friendly, polite and helpful. Hotel is currently getting re decorated.

• Stayed April 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and a couple of friends stayed in The Dumbuck House Hotel on 12/04/2014 - when we arrived the outside looked tired and dull, the reception desk looked nice (pitty about the unhelpful staff sitting behind it!!!) we stayed in room 105 which was on the first floor on route we passed by dampness all the way up the corridor and they had a cheek to put a sign up apologising for the decor! It wasn't the decor that was the problem it was the DAMPNESS that was bubbling off the walls!

The room was £50.00 for a standard double room which was disgusting! I can honestly say it's the worst place I have ever stayed!! The walls were stained with blood, dirt and something that looked like bogies!, the cream carpet and stains all over it, there was gaps in the wood work, seats were soiled! Walls had holes in it! And the bed!!!! .. Was hard with springs popping out!!!

The bathroom had a slanted roof window with no curtains which never filled me with confidence as you had no privacy, and the water had hot and that was it! The window was that dirty you couldn't see through it!

When I confronted the reception staff I mentioned the dampness and the ladie had the cheek to tell me there was no dampness (please have a look at the photo of the dampness in the room) I told her the bed was unsleeping and the room was very dirty and she replied with what do you want me to do? We have no other rooms available feel free to leave! Which really annoyed me - I also told her about the curtains that didn't fit the window and had a flood light directly outside our window which was keeping us and and the woman behind the desk said they were on a timer and she couldn't switch them off, why a hotel has flood lights I will never understand.

I will attach some pictures Of proof that the place is a disgrace and is clearly falling apart, I would rather sleep rough that set eyes on that horrible place ever again!!!!

7 Thank Danielle M
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Lovely short stay here .. staff very efficient and helpful and we had lovely dinner with fab choice of wines .. in process of a decoration upgrade but clean and tidy... recommended and would visit again

• Stayed March 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My Parents booked a table in the restaurant for 9 people to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary. My Mother asked for a round table but was told this was not possible. She stated that she did not want a long table and was advised to leave it with them. When we arrived we were dismayed to see that they had provided a long table which meant that my Parents were unable to hear the rest of the party at the other end of the table unless they shouted. We were seated at least 20 minutes when my Brother decided to go and find someone to ask if we could have menus. Once the food arrived it was not as warm as we would have liked and, to be honest, it wasn't very good. They somehow managed to miss out one of our party for their main meal and so by the time it arrived the rest of us had nearly finished. We had been there the year before but it has sadly gone downhill since then. I cannot fault the Staff as they were very friendly and professional but the meal was mediocre and I certainly wouldn't recommend this restaurant for groups over 4 people.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumbarton
The Abbotsford Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf

Been to The Dumbuck House Hotel? Share your experiences!