“Not impressed!”

Ranked #13 of 50 Restaurants in Linlithgow
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Been to the chop and ale house a few times recently and was looking forward to going in a group for my friends birthday. Food was lovely as usual, service was fine. At the end of the evening our waitor invited us to have a drink in the champany bar next door while we waited on our taxi.

We walked in and our group were just stared at, not greeted
lile you would expect as a common courtesy? the bar man stormed through to the chop and ale obviously to ask why we had been let through. The female owner then approached us and said "there had been some mis communication and we shouldn't have been allowed in there". It was quite laughable because the place was absolutely nothing special. I can't believe her attitude toward paying customers. We were aged between 22-28 and I feel this is why. I said to her how I felt and mid way through speaking to her she popped her hand up and said "hold on a second" and walked away from me! Needless to say we all left
Pretty angry. Shame really because I have enjoyed every visit previous, but on principle probably will not return.

4  Thank Missqueen1

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Friendly, cosy, value, busy. I will do a fuller review in Sept when we shall be staying here. Do not wait for me, just go now

Reviewed 1 March 2014

A spur of the moment Friday night meal with my wife. Arrived at 6.45 ish, and place was packed. Decided to wait until a table was free. Had a drink in the waiting area. Busy, but great ambiance. Not too long a wait, and taken to our table. The food was really good, both had burgers - cooked how you like them. With sides of salad, chips and home made coleslaw. The neighbouring Champany prices can be steep (but great quality), but the chop and ale prices are really reasonable. Would recommend.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

A birthday treat for a pal started with a 45minute wait, jumping the queue because we needed a table for 4 and others were waiting for a table for 2. Waitress unhelpful in food choice. The starters were typical pub fayre but twice the price. Steaks start at £20odd and are ALL charred, regardless of cooking time. We had ribeye, sirloin and T-bone and all remarked lacking in flavour. Limp pale chips come in a basket to share. Salad and coleslaw pennies worth, no dressing. Some vinegar in greasy bottles on table. Waitress comes round with sauces and a communal spoon. A couple of plates were chipped, glassware scratched by dishwasher.
Then, we got the laugh of the night. The Gents toilet is appalling. The worn wooden seat was split and hanging off the hinges. Toilet paper was nearly out and tiles filthy, bogies on the walls, sneezes on the mirror. No better than a roadside bog in the highlands. Come on, how much would it cost to sort that? Argos do seats for £7.99! Started a conversation about "the worst bog in Scotland".
We won't ever be back. Go to South Queensferry for better cheaper food, cleanliness, choice and presentation. Bill for 3 courses for 3 with a couple of drinks each and coffee: £138.

2  Thank Desmonddekkers
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I live locally and have eaten here few times over the years. My choice is always a steak.
I had the T-bone (Rare) and my partner had the Sirloin (Medium) they were both cooked to perfection. I had the delicious Chorizo for a starter, we skipped the deserts as we had eaten enough after the steaks.
Staff are friendly and efficient.
This is very good restaurant my only problem is they don't take bookings and you have to wait in a small area to get a seat but worth the wait. Luckily the last two twice we have visited we had been seated straight away.