“Lovely visit to the restaurant”
Review of West Port Hotel

West Port Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
Bathgate
“Lovely visit to the restaurant”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Popped in for coffee and made a point of going back for lunch because the west port was such a lovely cosy little place. Staff were very pleasant and happy to stop for a chat and the food was lovely and very reasonably priced! I've never written a review on trip advisor before but I felt obliged to recommend this place! well done guys :)

• Stayed January 2014
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Welcome to the Trip Advisor community and many thanks for making your first review such a positive one following your recent visit to The West Port.
We're glad you liked our restaurant so much and particularly pleased to read your comments regarding the friendliness of the team. It is always a great boost when we receive such positive feedback.
I'm sure we'll get the opportunity to welcome you back again real soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
LEEDS
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We visited the West Port for New Years Day lunch, going for the typical steak pie. West Port is a lovely building, nicely decorated, located in a super town, but our lunch was underwhelming. The steak pie was OK, but plates and beans were cold and veg was unexciting and probably frozen, not fresh. We ate from the "New Year's Day Special Menu" that was more expensive than the A la Carte (we even overheard a young trainee being instructed to hand out the special menu rather than the standard because the prices were higher!)
At the end of the meal we were UNDERCHARGED by £55. Although tempted to cut and run, I informed them of their error, but did not get a lot of gratitude. Overnight I noticed that our new bill had OVERCHARGED us, so I had to all the way back to West Port. Thankfully, the error was dealt with efficiently and with courtesy,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank stephenlebeau
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your review Stephen, I was pleased to hear that you like the new look of the West Port since our refurbishment, it has went down very well in the town and has certainly kept us busy since re-opening.

I am sorry that you felt disappointed with the quality of your meals on New Years Day, we pride ourselves on using fresh produce and only wish you had voiced your concerns on the day so that we could have rectified any problem at the time. Although I cannot comment directly about the conversation your overheard I would like to assure you that the New Years Day menu was great value in comparison to our A la Carte menu. It went down very well with other customers that day and we received lots of fantastic feedback.

I dealt with you personally on your return visit and refunded the money for the overcharged dessert, I would like to thank you again for your honesty in pointing out the missing meals on your bill and sincerely hope to see you back at the West Port in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We visited for an evening meal to be served by dis-interested staff, frozen food and overpriced wines-we did visit when it re-opened after refurbishment and could not fault-but how quickly they have reverted back to their old ways negligent staff and terrible food-which is exactly as it used to be? Bad management again!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback following your visit to The West Port.
As the manager I take all feedback to what goes on in my restaurant very seriously. I do wish however you had come to us directly with your concerns and give us the opportunity to listen to these directly and try to deal with your issues.
If you have a genuine concern then I'd invite you to contact me directly at westporthotel@maclay.co.uk giving more specific details as to the problems you had as well as when you visited so I can investigate this fully for you.
Linlithgow
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stopped by for a coffee and sandwich during a busy lunchtime. This was the first time my husband and I had visited the hotel since its recent refurbishment and we were very pleasantly surprised. The whole interior has been opened up with clean lines, attractive furnishings, excellent use of colour and a good mix of different seating. The front of house staff were excellent, providing a ready welcome even though the restaurant and bar were full. We were very, very impressed by the table staff who could not have been more helpful and seemed to have a smile for everyone despite the fact that it was such a busy environment.
Our sandwiches arrived on attactive wooden boards, with fresh granary bread (not from a packet) and salad on the side. The coffee was excellent. We could, for once, actually have a conversation in a crowded place and hear each other speak!! All of this made for a great stop-over and snack. We congratulate the hotel management and staff. We'll be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenny_orme
Thank you very much for your glowing report following your recent visit to The West Port.
Time and time again I hear reports of how helpful the team are and I never tire of hearing it. The team work incredibly hard, aiming to improve the service every day.
I'm sure we will be seeing you again soon and hope we can impress you as much on your next visit.
Wokingham, Uk
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over Christmas while visiting family in Linlithgow. I had heard that it had recently undergone refurbishment so was expecting good things. Unfortunately the refurbishment seems to have stopped at the downstairs pub as our room was pretty shabby and very tight. The bed was too big for the room, bathroom didn't leave much to the imagination and the windows were very drafty. For the price I suppose it was passable but not sure I'd stay again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review following your recent stay. It's true we have undergone a major refurbishment in the restaurant in the past few months and at the same time we redecorated the rooms as well as replacing the furniture.
I'm sorry to hear you feel the rooms were small and the windows draughty. As a listed building we were restricted as to what we could do to the bedrooms regarding layout and the sash and case windows are a listed feature too. Many people comment on what an attractive feature they are but of course, they do not have the thermal properties of modern windows, hence the reason the radiators are independently controlled in each room.
I'm sorry if this was not what you expected but hope you choose to return again in the near future.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Nicely refurbishment, tidy and clean with friendly helpful staff but meal was average at best and over priced - disappointed as had heard previous good reviews. Parking is a bit tricky as limited spaces.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thanks for your review following your recent visit. I'm concerned to hear you thought our food was over priced. Without knowing what you had it is difficult to comment but we regularly receive great feedback as to our value and with a 2 course lunch menu from only £8.95 we feel we are doing well for fresh food.
It's great you thought the service was good, we are very proud of our team and they always do all they can for our guests.
Regarding the car parking, it's true, Linlithgow can sometimes be a difficult place to get parked but with 2 public car-parks next to us you usually don't have to wait long for a space to become free.
hopefully we'll see you back again.
Banff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have stopped at this hotel before but on my last visit the hotel had a revamp and it's really well done the rooms are excellent and the bar and restaurant enjoyed my salmon and scramble eggs breakfast

Room Tip: My room was very nice it's local to the palace among other things plus some good pubs and restau...