“extremely disapponted”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
ibiza
“extremely disapponted”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Being originally from Denny, I asked a friend from Linlithgow to recommend somewhere to stay when we visited for a family wedding at The VU.
We arrived at 1am on Tuesday 8th April 2014 and were greeted by a very friendly night porter. However when we saw our room, Nº9, we were immediately disappointed. Being the hour it was we were tired after a day's travelling so said nothing. There were twin beds, not a doublé as I had requested when booking, and they were made for midgets. My husband is not tall and his feet hung over the end. I am taller so it was even worse. The shower room was also built for a very skinny person. It was almost imposible to get in the shower and if you dropped the soap there was NO WAY to pick it up without opening the shower door to do so. There was also no soap dish in shower which also complicated matters. Towel rail was also lacking for exiting shower so towel had to be draped over sink!! The room was very noisy with traffic from the main road so we didn't exactly have a restful stay. The only saving grace of the place was breakfast and the delightful waitress SIOBHAN. She is a gem and was so disapponted we did not enjoy our visit. We both work in tourism and travel all over and this is honestly the first time I have been so disappointed in a place that I felt the necessity to add this comment.

Room Tip: Nº 9 is the room from hell to be avoided at all costs.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gatoibiza
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thanks for your review.

I'm sorry you did not feel the room was big enough for your needs. This room is let out daily, usually as a twin room and this is the first time anyone has commented the beds are too small.

I'm pleased to read your comments about Siobhan, our team always do all they can to help our guests out.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Preston
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night enjoyed the meal ' at 4 o'clock in the morning the fire alarm went off which was a false alarm' next morning we spoke to a room maid who said this had been happening regularly, we never got an apology or nothing as we checked out so we won't be coming back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 195819
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Hi. thanks for your feedback following your recent visit to The West Port.

I'm sorry you were disturbed by the fire alarm but pleased to say it was a false alarm. I don't understand why someone would say this has happened regularly as we log all alarm soundings and this is certainly not a regular occurrence.

Whilst I understand this may have been an inconvenience to you I'm sure you appreciate this is essential for the safety of our guests.

As for no-one apologising at check out, I don't know how this could have happened as we make a point of discussing such occurrences with our guests to reassure them of our concerns for their safety. I speculate, but perhaps you caught one of our staff who had just started that morning and had not yet been briefed that the alarm has sounded previously.

Please accept my apologies now and again, thank you for giving your feedback.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just back from a lovely lunch at West Port. Just popped in on the off chance they would have a table (it is mothers day so could have been booked out). Greeted by very friendly and helpful staff. Food (Pulled pork rolls and soup for Adults, Fish and chips for child) excellent. Served super fast and delicious. Had to leave as small child needed nap but we will be back for one of the puddings we saw emerging from the kitchen. Staff were full of smiles and front of house is clean, fresh and inviting.

Room Tip: Didn't stay, just in for lunch...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for coming to visit us on Mother's Day and many thanks for such a lovely review.
We're glad we were able to squeeze you in even on such a busy day and that your experience was so good.
The pulled pork is a real favourite so we're not surprised to read how you enjoyed it. What is really good is to hear your comments about the team. They are a really hard-working bunch who really appreciate when people take the time to give them such positive feedback.
I'm sure we'll be able to welcome you back again real soon.
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I was in a party of 7 women dining tonight in the west port restaurant. This was a first time since the hotel has been refurbished. Three of us ordered ribeye steaks with a side of French fries. The menu was so mediocre I ordered my steak medium another ordered medium rare and one ordered well done. The only steak that was complimented on was the medium rare. I tried to eat mine but had to leave half of it. It looked and tasted as if it had been cremated. I spoke to the waitress who relayed my complaint to the manager. The reply was that. They had never had a complaint before about their steaks!! She asked if I wanted a pudding or a coffee. I opted for a coffee. The americano was served in a MUG. This was my first and last time in the Westport. We have another booking made for 6 people which will be cancelled tomorrow.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Frances B
Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent visit.

There were a number of things in your review which concerned me so I have taken the time to speak with all the team members who were on duty during your visit. Both the server who looked after you and the duty manager remember your party clearly and remember that one of the party did indeed complain about the steak at the end of the meal stating it was overcooked. Clearly this should not have happened and for that I apologise. I understand that a replacement was offered but refused so desserts and coffees were offered instead which were accepted.

I don't understand why offering our coffees in mugs should be a problem however we do have tea cups available should someone prefer.

If there are any further details regarding your visit you have not shared that make you feel so strongly then can I ask that you contact us directly at westporthotel@maclay.co.uk as I would be more than happy to discuss any aspect of your visit with you. After all it is only by listening to our guests we can continue to improve.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights whilst we attended a Wedding at the Burgh Halls. On arrival we were greeted with smiles and a friendly manner from all staff. We were shown to our a room by a lovely gentleman, who showed us where everything was, informed us of mealtimes and was keen to make our stay comfortable. Breakfast was delightful, fresh and well cooked.
The room was lovely, everything you need is there. Very clean and well maintained.
On our last day the staff were wonderfully polite and helpful.
I would definately recommend this to friends and we are looking at booking our return stay in the summer.
Thank you to all who made our stay comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank natasha r
First of all welcome to trip advisor!

We're over the moon you chose to post your very first review based on your visit to our hotel.

It's great to hear such positive feedback and to know that the team delivered for you throughout the whole weekend you stayed with us. The team work very hard trying to ensure every guest enjoys their visit be it just for a coffee or for a whole weekend so it's always great to be able to share with them great comments like yours.

Hopefully we will see you back in the Summer.
Broxburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We had our dinner here tonight.what a let down. Husband had asked for a bottle of magners when it came it was already poured out in the glass but it was flat. We got it replaced. We had the cullen skink soup which was cold and returned to the kitchen. Then we had the gourmet burger. The burger itself was fab but the chips that came with were that greasy we could not eat them. We were asked when they removed our plates had we enjoyed our meal. We told them about the chips but when the bill came we were charged the full price. On speaking to the manager they took £5 off the bill. While we enjoyed what we had( once it was hot) we will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank justmags
Many thanks for taking the time to give your comments following your visit to The West Port.

I'm sorry you had a couple of issues on this occasion. I'm sure you appreciate we do all we can to make our guests' visit a good one but sometimes we don't quite get it right. that's why we appreciate the feedback so we can aim to improve.

I really hope you rethink your decision not to return as I'm sure you'd find this is not indicative of our usual offering.
Renfrewshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Visited here for first time. On entering we were greeted by a lovely young lady who then showed us to a table. We were asked if we would like a drink whilst we browsed the menu. We both chose steak pie & all i can say is wow, it was lovely. Staff and service was great. I would reccommend visiting here.

• Stayed February 2014
Thanks for your review following your recent visit to The West Port.

We're happy to hear how you enjoyed your visit so much and your comments about our home-made steak pie. It's a real favourite!

We're sure we'll get the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linlithgow
Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to West Port Hotel? Share your experiences!