“In praise of the staff...and a suggestion”
Review of West Port Hotel

West Port Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“In praise of the staff...and a suggestion”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We had booked our table as it was a Friday, when we arrived the restaurant was not really busy. we were seated and served our drinks with a welcome and smile.Our order was taken quickly. there was a family seated over from us and the child was very 'active & vocal shall we say- running about and getting very exited as the adults did nothing to calm him down. On a health and safety issue this worried me as the staff were walking about with hot food and drinks and there was nearly an accident. I do feel that the children see the layout of the restaurant as some sort of running track but that is not their fault. Our meal was really nice and the pecan pie was to die for . By 7.45 the place was heaving but the staff just moved up a gear and carried on smiling and doing a great job looking after everyone. All I would like to suggest that for the staff's benefit there needs to be some sort of clear message to people with children that they cannot run about in the restaurant and if they do well, they run the risk of being injured and that should be the adults responsiblilty and not the staff's worry.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thanks for your review of your recent visit to The West Port.
Thank you in particular for taking the time to praise the staff for their professionalism. I say it many times, they work incredibly hard and always try to do what is best for the guest and it is great when people recognise this.
As to your comments regarding the parents at the adjacent table; I'm sure you appreciate this is a delicate area for the management to deal with but one we will not shy away from. Our protocol, if we feel a child is putting themself or someone else at risk is to have a quiet word with the parents. Ninety-nine times in a hundred this will resolve the issue. On very rare occasions people choose to ignore our advice despite the fact we have the wellbeing of their child at heart.
I do hope you would not be deterred from re-visiting based on the behaviours of other guests. We'd love to see you back again soon so we can provide some more of that great service and of course, our delicious pecan pie!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Arrived here late on Thursday night which was a shame as the newly refurbished pub looked amazing.
Checked in fast and was shown to my room (something a bit rare now a days)
The room was large enough well decorated the bathroom was slightly tight but I was too tired to care.
After a good sound quite night sleep I enjoyed a great breakfast in the restaurant, just wished I arrived earlier to sample the evening food and great beer selection

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Many thanks for your review following your recent stay at The West Port.
I'm glad to read how much you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay. It is a pity you didn't get the chance to sample the restaurant. You'll just have to pop back again soon!
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Falkirk
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I havent ever been to the West Port and ive lived in the area for 20 yrs so im glad i finally did.Called ahead to book a table for 3 people arriving in 10 mins,wasnt a problem,girl was lovely and friendly.Arrived and were seated at a table near the door.After a few mins it occured to us that every time the door opened we were getting a draught and asked to be moved.The server had no problems with this and moved us in a flash although the table was to be vacated in an hr,thats ok no problem.Slight confusion after this when the drinks came that was fine but we were left alone thinking that we'd already ordered,however i asked to be served and order was taken,not a huge problem.Food was amzing starters of bread ,oils,olives delish.Mains of gourmet burger,steak baguette and spanish chicken burger ( i think) just too many chips we couldnt finish! all good homemade cooking.Starter 3 mains 2 large wines and a pint of lager bill came to 48 quid,not bad i thought for the quality and presentation.Surroundings and decor were beautiful.Servers and im assuming management were top class and we will certainly return...SOON :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent visit.
I'm so pleased to hear how helpful you found all the team to be. It's great we could accommodate you at such short notice and that the team were so willing assist with your requests. They work really hard and it is a pleasure for me to be able to share such positive feedback with them and reassure them that their efforts are not going unnoticed.
Be sure to say 'hi' next time you pop in.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I ate here with a friend in November and was satisfied with the experience. I decided to book a night in the hotel despite seeing some very mixed reviews. The room was clean, bed was large and I quite liked the two steps going up to the bathroom. The bath was fine but the shower was just a trickle of scalding water as when I attempted to add cold it albeit just a minute amount, the temperature became cold.

Very satisfied with breakfast as it seemed you could have cereal as well as a very substantial cooked breakfast accompanied by toast.

We ate in the pub in the evening and satisfied with the quality of food and the service. All staff were very pleasant and genuinely interested in giving customers a good experience. There was a slight issue with one of the meals and as an apology, desserts were offered on the house. We were going to order desserts anyway.

Some other small nice touches added to the positive experience at West Port e.g. being taken up to our room and having the door opened.

Good selection of beers/ales. Will definitely be back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
WestPortLinlithgow, Manager at West Port Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Many thanks for your review.

I'm glad to hear your experience was generally a very positive one though I must apologise for the issue with your shower. As a busy hotel there are always little things that can fail due to constant use. We try to ensure all reported issues are dealt with on the day they are reported.

I'm very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed both breakfast and our service. The team work very hard to ensure all our guests have a pleasant stay. It would seem they have performed admirably during yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Food was lovely, got friendly welcome, would recommend and definitely go back. Big transformation from when I was last in and felt more welcome that in another pub in the town where I felt uncomfortable and out of place

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thanks you very much for your positive review.

It's always great to receive praise for all our hard work, especially to read how welcoming the team were.

I'm sure we'll see you back again soon.
Linlithgow
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great refurb. Staff very friendly and efficient. Food is a decent standard of 'pub grub'. Each time we've been in it's been busy with diners but has been very quiet later. Would recommend for a midweek meal. Best to book though!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your review following your recent visit.
I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your food and that you like our recent refurbishment.
It's true, we are a busy place so it is better to book to avoid disappointment though we always try to squeeze people in if we can.
Hope to see you again soon.
ibiza
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Being originally from Denny, I asked a friend from Linlithgow to recommend somewhere to stay when we visited for a family wedding at The VU.
We arrived at 1am on Tuesday 8th April 2014 and were greeted by a very friendly night porter. However when we saw our room, Nº9, we were immediately disappointed. Being the hour it was we were tired after a day's travelling so said nothing. There were twin beds, not a doublé as I had requested when booking, and they were made for midgets. My husband is not tall and his feet hung over the end. I am taller so it was even worse. The shower room was also built for a very skinny person. It was almost imposible to get in the shower and if you dropped the soap there was NO WAY to pick it up without opening the shower door to do so. There was also no soap dish in shower which also complicated matters. Towel rail was also lacking for exiting shower so towel had to be draped over sink!! The room was very noisy with traffic from the main road so we didn't exactly have a restful stay. The only saving grace of the place was breakfast and the delightful waitress SIOBHAN. She is a gem and was so disapponted we did not enjoy our visit. We both work in tourism and travel all over and this is honestly the first time I have been so disappointed in a place that I felt the necessity to add this comment.

Room Tip: Nº 9 is the room from hell to be avoided at all costs.