“Scottish Hospitality at its best”

Belsyde Country House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 11 Linlithgow B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Scottish Hospitality at its best”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was our third annual visit to Belsyde, and Nan's hospitality continues to be most welcoming. Her full Scottish breakfast would take some beating. Our room was very comfortable with lovely views over the surrounding countryside. Nan welcomes us as friends and will always offer help and advice to improve our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed here with my mum, as we were attending a birthday party in nearby Torphichen. The guest house itself is beautiful, gorgeous spacious rooms with high ceilings, fancy furniture and an all-round old-fashioned, stately-home feel.
The view from our room was outstanding. The bathroom looked brand new and was completely spotless, and top-end toiletries were provided.
Our room had a large double bed and a single bed, which were fitted with clean, crisp, fresh white sheets and were extremely comfortable.
My only complaint is that I am not a cat lover, and I wasn't too fond of the owner's large fluffy cat constantly wandering around the building.
If you choose to stay here I would definitely recommend getting the breakfast, I've never tasted anything as good in my life! Considering it is a small guest house in a remote area, and probably not always fully booked, I was more than impressed with the selection of fresh food available for breakfast.. we had the choice of cereal, a selection of breads, fresh fruit, yoghurt, a selection of jucies or a full Scottish fry up (we had the fry-up!) with delicious bacon, eggs, lorne sausage, potato bread, soda bread, beans, tomato, mushrooms... followed by croissants with butter and jam and tea/coffee/orange juice.

Overall a really pleasant stay in a comfortable room with an outstanding breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My family and I had the great pleasure of staying at Belsyde Country House B&B. We arrived at Belsyde, driving up the lovely tree lined driveway, to the charming house, and were first greeted by a very fluffy friendly cat. Nan, our host, welcomed us into the B&B and showed us our rooms. Our rooms were absolutely lovely, my mother kept saying that the Belsyde rooms were the loveliest, the most elegant B&B rooms she had stayed in for some time. From the quilts on our beds, to the armoires, the details in the bathroom, everything was spotless and beautifully furnished. Nan also welcomed us with a lovely afternoon tea, yummy baked goods and tea. Our breakfasts were delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed everything. I would highly recommend Belsyde Country House B&B.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We (2 adults) just stayed there in June 2013 and we had a lovely time. The Country House is absolutely charming. Very clean, and bed sheets are crisp and clean. Ms. Nan was very welcoming and the breakfast was ample and delectable. The Inn is a bit hard to find, highly recommend you have a GPS and call ahead for directions, as our GPS did not find the route.
You will love to stay there!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
High River, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was our first bed and breakfast in Scotland. What a great introduction to Scotland. Our hostess, Nan made tea for us, with delicious homemade goodies. We stayed for two nights in the Hamilton Room. It was so beautiful and comfortable. Nan served us a wonderful Scottish breakfast each morning. The grounds are so beautiful. I so loved the sounds of sheep bleating. What a comforting sound. Definitely would go back the next time we are in Scotland.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I really love Scotland, its landscapes and their hospitality. I've just visited Scotland for the fourth year in a row.
During my first trip, I slept in the Hamilton room, a great room in Victorian style. During my second trip, with my brother, I booked the same room. However, after our arrival, we were told that there had been a problem with the Hamilton room, and they offered us another spacious room instead. It hadn’t any of the charm of the Hamilton room, and wasn’t comfortable at all. Considering that it was just an unfortunate accident, we accepted the change, even when the style of the new room was totally opposite to the one we were looking for (in fact, that room is not shown in their webpage).
I’ve just spent some days in Scotland with my daughter. When I booked for a night at Belsyde, and given my previous experience, I strongly stated that I was choosing Belsyde again just because I wanted to stay at the Hamilton room. The owners made it clear to me that the Hamilton room was the one booked. However, after our arrival at Belsyde, and after waiting for half an hour for the owner to arrive at the place, the proprietor told us that we couldn’t have the Hamilton room, since it was occupied. We told her that was the room we have chosen, and that she had confirmed later on. She told that the reason for giving the room to another guests was that they were going to stay longer. She offered us again the same place to sleep, which is not displayed on their webpage, and has nothing to do with the other rooms. We finally slept at the Holiday Inn next to Glasgow Airport.
If you are looking forwards to finding the charm of the rooms showed in their webpage, please be aware that you might end up sleeping at a junk room.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Emilio S
Perthshire
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Spent long weekend at Belsyde House with lovely hosts Nan &Tom their house is so nice room was an amazing size,comfortable and clean with great views over lovely garden only sound were sheep in adjacent field. Nan showed us to our room even offering to take our luggage which we declined, pointed out the workings of everything and gave us password for wifi, bed was so comfortable plenty of pillows if needed lots of hot water don't be concerned about noises from pipes( a wee bit noisy but you are in countryside) this is because water is coming from rainwater tank .
After a great sleep we faced an amazing breakfast so many choices of cereals and fresh fruit, raspberries and fruit salad were lovely,a cooked breakfast was offered with lots of choices and if you didn't choose enough Nan encouraged you to have a little more loads of coffee and when you thought you were finished Nan came back with some oatcakes and lovely fruit bread or muffins.
Unfortunately couldn't book another weekend we wanted but will return at some point in future.

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linlithgow
West Port Hotel
Premier Inn Falkirk East Hotel
Leapark Hotel
Leapark Hotel
#3 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Belsyde Country House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!