“If Carlsberg did Steaks ???”
Review of Champany Inn

and 1 more site!
Champany Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I have had many steaks in many restaurants , however this is THE ONE.

The Champany is it's own place. It has it's own style and ambience and has it's own style of service. (of which I love)

If you want cheap and cheerful....don't come here.

The food and service are first class, the price ? It is also , however as the say you get what you pay for. Even given the price tag The Champany Restaurant provides , in my view , value for money.

This is a trip worth making and even now I am feeling the urge to go back today !!

You may or may not make frequent visits to Champany , however you will certainly make frequent comment to family and friends about the quality of food served.

If you are used to pre-packed food and frozen produce then don't come. The price reflects the plate you get.

Thank you to The Davidson's and staff for service that is as it should be and food that others can only aspire to.

We will be back :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Came with my partner last Tuesday and was not impressed , my steak was inferior quality with a ludicrous price tag.
Have eaten at much nicer places with a lot better atmosphere .
Also there is no choice with your steak chips or nothing , I prefer a baked potatoe but that was out of the question .
Would give this place a miss if I were you
Unless you have more money than sense.
I can not understand for the life of me why chips is the only way to have your potatoes in the chop and ale house .
I have high cholesterol so would have liked the choice of a healthier option.

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Janineredford
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were greeted with some hostility , and not made to feel very welcome . We persevered and ate in there chop and Ale house , the starter was bland and quite tasteless , I had heard they done a good steak so looked forward to the main .
My husband had the chicken which he said was average albeit a little dry .
My steak arrived looking very chargrilled
I asked for medium.
Inside there was a lot of fat and very little actual meat. My complaint was not welcomed and no replacement was offered .
We checked out the next day and cut our losses .
The owners staff and food let this place down .

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Ralphandtessa
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Been to Peter Luger in Brooklin NYC, and that is good, probably the best new York has to offer, but here leaves it dead in the water ,the steak is truly perfect ,packed with flavour and cooked bang on! So if your in the area and steak is your thing you will not be disappointed ,I found the staff most helpful and professional so no complaints there

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Belladwella
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Came along for dinner with friends, as a couple in our party regularly visit and rave about the food. We were ushered into a very small, and very cold waiting room whilst they prepared a table for us. When we did eventually get a table, it was very cramped and poorly situated in my opinion. There wasn't a lot of space between seats so we were disturbing people next to us when we were moving to use the restrooms, and we all had to get up if one of us wanted to be excused from the table. The waitress, although not rude, did roll her eyes when we asked if they done 2 perfectly simple items that we couldn't see on the menu. The food itself was average at best, but the portions were very hearty. The steak which they claim to be the best ever, was mediocre and every other steak I have had in other establishments have knocked this particular one out of the water. Mine personally was overcooked, and the food wasn't warm and served on cold plates. The cheesecake for dessert was to die for and worth every penny. The house wine was acceptable, but nothing more, and I have had far better at £4 per bottle from a supermarket.
Considering we spent so much [£60 per head], I feel the staff should have looked after us a little bit more.
I probably won't visit again, however I am pleased I have experienced a place which is widely talked about.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Inbetweener33
Reviewed 15 March 2013

If you are looking for a truly different overnight away from hustle and bustle of everyday life (rat race) you should consider this hidden gem of an Inn called the Champany Inn in Linlithgow located just outside Edinburgh. My husband took me here as early Mothers Day treat. Room decorated Scottish style with curtains and bedding of tartan!! YES TARTAN!! We had our evening meal in main restaurant (there is less expensive dining option on site if preferred). Scallops were absolutely delicious to die for almost. This was only surpassed by the Chateaubriand accompanied by awesome wild mushrooms and dauphinoise potatoes yum yum yum!! Didn't manage to finish all our steak and this was offered to be packed overnight and ready when we check out in morning. Really romantic overnight stay. Definitely be back. High on my list of romantic relaxing get away!! Check it out

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 10 March 2013

My wife and I took the chop and ale house overnight accommodation deal for a special treat. We had heard wonderful comments made about the food and in particular the steaks, however our experience was not so positive. The room was OK spacious warm, the bed was two single beds bolted together and not a king size. We ate in the restaurant and from the outset felt very unwelcome. I don't know if it's me but the staff seemed overpowering, When we didn't order wine the waiter was aghast! The place is called the chop and ale (ALE!!) house, so wheres the bloody ale. when we ordered ale we thought we were going to be taken outside and shot. We should have got up and walk out at that point, but no we persevered. then came the menu mostly beef i'll grant you. But £40.00 for a steak not including any extras which were again vastly overpriced. We both ordered t-bones, both medium, you had to have medium cos the chef wouldn't cook it beyond medium. So our t-bones came then this pompous waiter then decided to explain which bit was the sirloin and which part was the fillet etc, etc. All I wanted was for him to stop patronizing us like we'd never seen a steak before. Anyway our steaks went back several times as they were blue to rare, i don't think they did anything to them except show them the pan again. We eventually got something like a medium. The steak was not the best I've eaten by a long chalk and had a strange taste and yes I've eaten plenty of hung steaks in other restaurants which were superb. At this point we'd had enough got them to put the remainder of the steaks in doggy bags for the dogs, who enjoyed them more than us.
Breakfast was OK, again the staff looked down their noses at you but everything was cooked fresh and the scrambled eggs were spot on. So that sort of redeemed it's self a little. Upon paying the grumpy old woman sat behind the desk swiped my card, scowled a presented me with the receipt. Not a "Did you enjoy your stay, or come again" Nothing. Well I will definitely not be coming again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank beefbeefbeef1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linlithgow
Westport Hotel
Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
Dakota Edinburgh
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry

Been to Champany Inn? Share your experiences!