“A two night stay”

and 1 more site!
Champany Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I recently stayed two nights at the Champany Inn. A relative had organised a family get together on one of the nights. I am so gald we booked to stay here, the room, food and service were all excellent, the staff were very friendly, I cannot fault the Champany at all and will stay there in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed overnight at the Champany Inn just outside Linlithgow and ate dinner at the Chop and Ale House onsite.
Receptionist was friendly and helpful, and booked a table for us in the Chop and Ale - very glad she did as the wait would have been 45 mins, or 2-2.5hrs for a table for four.
The food was alright, perhaps a little overhyped on the website, we felt the food was a bit overpriced but since it's so popular they can do it - there are plenty staff on hand to serve you, so not grumbling too much about the price - might eat in Linlithgow next time.
The rooms are large and a bit different from chain hotels. Breakfast is in a really cheery room, cooked on a giant Aga where you can see the cooks, and was really enjoyable. Freshly juiced orange.grapefruit /whatever you ask for, silver pots for tea and coffee, nice choice of ingredients cooked to order. Great value for money and we'll definitely be back to stay here. Breakfast staff and receptionist on check out were again really nice and friendly - so 5/5 for the rooms, 6/5 for the hotel staff, but only probably 3.5 out of 5 for the chop and ale house because it's a little cramped and a bit expensive, imho. ( £23 for steak, £15 for half roast chicken, £20 for bottle of wine, starters and dessert around £7 each)
Nice accommodation if you're having a family get together though, or just to explore the area for a few days though.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be the same, huge bathrooms with separate rainfall shower and telephone style...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Fantastic friendly welcome but one of our party was well known here and a good customer so I wonder if that perhaps had more to do with it.

Dined on a Friday lunchtime and the whole place was dead with just one other couple, this was ok because we were in a party but if you had been the only couple I doubt there would have been much atmosphere.

The decor of this place is certainly an acquired taste, even in daytime the whole place is dark and gloomy with candles set on every table, very heavy drapes / curtains / mismatching chairs of completely different heights at the same table, the place settings for me were overly fussy with napkins, cutler, glasses etc in abundance. Each table also had a large floral display or bowl of fruit - shame ours was more than a bit bit wrinkled around the edges.

Food - as a lot of other reviews say VERY expensive, LUNCH for 4 was over £600. WOW. 4 starters were on the large side and ok. 4 rib eye steaks were very large (and all unfinished, taken home in doggy bags) but were of questionable quality. Distinctly steely / metallic taste to my steak. Basic salad which at £5 was disappointing. Large generic chips, don't go expecting triple cooked Heston style delicious hand cut ones because this is not what you will get ... old fat / oil?? Wet grey veg - I didn't try it.

Very nice wine but at over £55 a bottle I would expect it to be. Served at perfect temperature.

Overall about what I expected having read firstly their website and secondly a few reviews on here.

Michelin star prices not a Michelin experience by any means.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Odebash
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I have had many steaks in many restaurants , however this is THE ONE.

The Champany is it's own place. It has it's own style and ambience and has it's own style of service. (of which I love)

If you want cheap and cheerful....don't come here.

The food and service are first class, the price ? It is also , however as the say you get what you pay for. Even given the price tag The Champany Restaurant provides , in my view , value for money.

This is a trip worth making and even now I am feeling the urge to go back today !!

You may or may not make frequent visits to Champany , however you will certainly make frequent comment to family and friends about the quality of food served.

If you are used to pre-packed food and frozen produce then don't come. The price reflects the plate you get.

Thank you to The Davidson's and staff for service that is as it should be and food that others can only aspire to.

We will be back :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Came with my partner last Tuesday and was not impressed , my steak was inferior quality with a ludicrous price tag.
Have eaten at much nicer places with a lot better atmosphere .
Also there is no choice with your steak chips or nothing , I prefer a baked potatoe but that was out of the question .
Would give this place a miss if I were you
Unless you have more money than sense.
I can not understand for the life of me why chips is the only way to have your potatoes in the chop and ale house .
I have high cholesterol so would have liked the choice of a healthier option.

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Janineredford
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were greeted with some hostility , and not made to feel very welcome . We persevered and ate in there chop and Ale house , the starter was bland and quite tasteless , I had heard they done a good steak so looked forward to the main .
My husband had the chicken which he said was average albeit a little dry .
My steak arrived looking very chargrilled
I asked for medium.
Inside there was a lot of fat and very little actual meat. My complaint was not welcomed and no replacement was offered .
We checked out the next day and cut our losses .
The owners staff and food let this place down .

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Ralphandtessa
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Been to Peter Luger in Brooklin NYC, and that is good, probably the best new York has to offer, but here leaves it dead in the water ,the steak is truly perfect ,packed with flavour and cooked bang on! So if your in the area and steak is your thing you will not be disappointed ,I found the staff most helpful and professional so no complaints there

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Belladwella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linlithgow
Westport Hotel
Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
Dakota Edinburgh
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry

Been to Champany Inn? Share your experiences!