“Informative, entertaining, a "must do" for Linlithgow”
Review of Mary's Meanders

Mary's Meanders
Ranked #1 of 3 Tours in Linlithgow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We provide guided walking tours of the Royal Burgh of Linlithgow and Outlander filming locations day tours. We host A Taste of Outlander dinner show which runs on Thursday evenings from May to September.
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Informative, entertaining, a "must do" for Linlithgow”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I had the pleasure of enjoying a morning walk with Ann on a recent day-trip to Linlithgow. As I am currently a student, the £7.50 cost per person was enough to make me weigh up whether it was worth visiting inside the palace (£5) or do the walk - it would have to be one or the other. I am exceptionally glad that I decided to go for the guided tour with 'Mary's Meanders' and would recommend it as the number one thing to do when visiting the town (the tour covers the grounds of the famous palace and church).

If the other tour guides employed by this company are anything like Ann then they've got a cracking set of staff. As it was a Tuesday (though I'm sure the weekends are a lot busier) it was only my girlfriend and I on a personal tour with Ann as no one else turned up. This was brilliant! The tour was at a leisurely strolling pace and covered an impressively large area of the town.

What made Ann a truly great tour guide was her obvious passion for local history. This tour is not about silly theatrical "entertainment" (as some tours often are), it is a very enjoyable, thorough and engaging guide to Linlithgow. I was visiting Linlithgow on a day-trip, so this tour in the morning only took up a quick 90 minutes and gave a solid base of knowledge that made the whole of the town much more interesting for the rest of the day.

I would very much recommend Mary's Meanders to anyone visiting Linlithgow, advising them to do a tour in the morning and then sit by the loch/palace/church in the afternoon.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Adam M
MaryM1542, Owner at Mary's Meanders, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
A big thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your tour and also,your visit to Linlithgow. Anne said she really enjoyed meeting you both too. Hope you have lots more wonderful days out! EC

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great way to spend an hour for locals or tourists”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I went on the ghost tour on Monday evening. As it takes place at 7.30 it wasn't very 'ghostly' but was a beautiful warm and sunny evening to see some parts of Linlithgow we had not seen before, despite living here for 14 years! Ross, our host, had many interesting spooky stories to impart as we toured from the cross, to the graveyard at St Michael's church, and up to the canal via some of llinlithgow's wynds. We finished by the railway station, beside what it turned out was an old stable building where the fire horses used to be kept (and it seems there were a lot of fires in linlithgow in days of olde!). As a local, it was fascinating to learn some stories of Linlithgow's history - many of which Ross had uncovered from his own research and which probably hadn't seen the light of day for a long time. With the history of the town as it is I am sure it would be of equal interest to any visitors or tourists from afar - with the benefit of getting a mini walking tour of the town.
Although we were lucky to catch this on a warm and sunny evening, I think the ghost tour might be best saved for darker months, with the regular walking tour the thing to do in this lovely summer weather (they offer a photography tour also). I would highly recommend Mary's Meanders. Ross was a delight to listen to and I know a lot of effort has gone into setting up this local company which deserves to thrive,

Visited July 2014
MaryM1542, Owner at Mary's Meanders, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
We are delighted that you enjoyed your ghost tour this week and thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of it. We are always happy when customers come on the tour and go away feeling that was money/time well spent. We look forward to seeing you on another of tours soon. EC
West Lothian, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“very enjoyable”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed the ghost walk today with our tour guide Ross. I've lived in Linlithgow for over 20 years but learned a lot about the local area and there were a lot of things pointed out that I had never noticed before. Ross kept the group entertained throughout with his vast knowledge and tales of days gone by.. Would highly recommend.

Visited July 2014
MaryM1542, Owner at Mary's Meanders, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent ghost tour. The team at Mary's Meanders is delighted that you enjoyed it. We look forward to seeing you in another of our tours soon. EC
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent way to spend your time”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our walking tour with Ross. He was knowledgable and readily answered our questions. I liked the fact that he pointed out the less obvious things that you might not notice yourself. The Commonwealth Baton had just visited Linlithgow so there was an extra buzz about, but this did not detract from the Tour. Excellent customer service from Mary's Meanders before we even went on the Tour.

Visited June 2014
MaryM1542, Owner at Mary's Meanders, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is very much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your tour and got to see some of the Baton Relay as well as hear about the history of our wonderful town. Kind regards EC
Victoria, B.C., Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great Introduction to the History of Linlithgow”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked this tour after seeing it advertised at our B & B. Our guide, Anne, showed up at the appointed meeting place right on schedule. Anne is an extremely knowledgeable person who is passionate about Linlithgow and its history. Her enthusiasm and knowledge made this 1 1/2 hour tour very special for us. In addition we were the only two who had booked this day so it was extra special having a personal guide at such a reasonable price. We learned so much more by having Anne guiding us than we ever would have on our own. Thank you Anne for making this a memorable day for us. We would recommend Mary's Meanders to anyone with an interest in the history of Linlithgow.

Visited May 2014
MaryM1542, Owner at Mary's Meanders, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you both for coming along on our tour and for posting a review. I am glad you had a good time when visiting Linlithgow and on our tour. EC