“Disappointing birthday treat”

Star and Garter Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
Star and Garter Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 48 Restaurants in Linlithgow
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2014

On Saturday 12th April I went with my wife to this hotel for dinner on the occasion of her birthday having been to the Cafe Bistro for breakfast in the morning which was fairly good except for the croque monsieur which was cooked with cheddar cheese as opposed to gruyere as described on the menu. As the food was acceptable we decided to give the dinner a try - the worst thing we have ever done. The restaurant is just an extension of the bar area and the cutlery used in the restaurant looked as though it had been rescued from the hotel when it was burnt down. I ordered a sirloin steak and my wife ordered a chicken dish. The steak dish was the most disgusting offering that I have ever been served in over 50 odd years of dining out. The supposed sirloin steak was definitely not a sirloin as texture wise and appearance was more akin to a piece of stewing steak. The chips were unbelievable as they were more wedges than chips and they were blackish in colour meaning they must have been cooked in the dirtiest fat/oil that anyone could every use. I obviously didn't eat this offering and declined the offer of any other choice. My wife's dish was reasonable although the mashed potatoes were disgusting and she felt that a similar dish served in a nearby establishment was of far higher standard than what was served here. For fifty odd years I have eaten steaks in five star rated hotels and also standard pub grub and can tell whether steak is of a decent standard. Perhaps the owners should visit the local Lidl stores and purchase their steak there to ensure a decent standard. Would I go back here - NEVER EVER

5  Thank David D

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Service is far better now than previous!! Was in 2/3 weeks ago and ignored due to being staff at another pub. Was finally served by another member of staff!! To which I may add her service was fine! Had a few good nights in star and majority of staff are very pleasant!! Will return soon and hope that service is still as good as usual now that the staff who ignore me no longer work there!! Would recommend a Saturday night as dj is fab!! :)

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

The food was delicious and considering the restaurant was busy we were served relatively quickly. We had the high tea, delicious and great value for money.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We went here for a family get together. The food was excellent and plenty of it and of a very good quality. The drink wasn't too expensive either. The staff were very friendly the the function room where we were was very clean. Again if we were in the area we would go here again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Can't fault our lunch at all. The service was excellent, the food was good and brilliant value for money. There is only one point I would like to make - your doors! The kitchen door banged constantly, the fire exit needed to be opened and slammed shut and even the outside storage door swung open. And finally, but probably most importantly, your corridor doors were wedged open with fire extinguishers, leaving the fire point at the bottom of the stairs with no equipment. Surely you realise this is not wise, especially around the kitchen area and very possibly illegal. I was delighted this historic building was rescued after it was almost lost due to a fire! How ironic that the one point I complain about is related to fire safety.