“Fabulous!”

Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Good food, excellent cask ales, stunning ambiance and cheerful service. What more could you ask for?

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Ivan H

Vancouver, Canada
“Good beer, bad food”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent selection of local and standard beers, but the food was pretty bad: two of my friends couldn't finish what they were given. The only thing we liked was the chips.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Sparkian
“A Very Pleasant Establishment”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my family visited this pub when we were passing through on a canal boat we'd hired in Falkirk.

First impressions were very good. We were welcomed by friendly staff and there was a very good selection of ales on. The atmosphere within the venue was also very pleasant.

The menu was varied and some of us had trouble deciding as it all sounded excellent. The service was very prompt.

I wasn't blown away by the food's taste (I've had better steaks in the past), however, it was nice enough for the price. Although the haggis that came with my steak was the best haggis I've ever eaten.

I'm sure we will be going back on our return trip.

2 Thank Ryan E
Grangemouth
“Friends Re-Union Gathering”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked the Four Mary's for a meal as my friend was over from Australia and another school friend who I hadn't seen for a considerable time was also joining us. A group of us had organised a day out in Linlithgow for a catch - up/re-union. I booked the meal for 6.30 p.m. and all was fine, then on the day I got a call to say they had made a mistake and could they change it to 8.30 which I said was too late. However, we compromised to 7.30. Then later on the day I got a call to say they had had a cancellation and we were back on for 6.30. Well by the time we finally got our meals it was nearly 8.00 p.m. - shocking. The service was terrible. Very slow. They forgot a starter, then they forgot a main. The food was not good. Several of the meals were inedible. We did complain and I can't they say they were not fair because they were. They gave us 50% off the bill which was the correct thing to do.However, the day was still spoiled as it left a sour taste and I was embarrassed as I had my friends there who I obviously wanted to have a nice day. We ended up in there for so long, we lost time doing what we had planned. The part though that has really annoyed me is that the Manager was extremely good and promised a follow up call - which I did get to my answer phone. He requested a call back and an e-mail address which I returned to his answer phone on several occasions as I never got an answer. A number of weeks have passed and I haven't heard from him. To my mind this is worse than the actual day. He didn't need to do anything else but as he had, he should have followed it through. Personally I will never eat in this pub again.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Deirdre M
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“4 M's goes down fast.”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

After many, many years of eating in the 4 M's regularly, I am shocked at how it has gone down in the last few weeks. Hardly any staff, no apparent management at all and a cook who can't even fry an egg or cook a burger correctly. It is now staffed - only just - by irregular staff brought in by Belhaven from wherever they can get them on a nightly basis. If Belhaven want to close this place fast, they're going the right way about it. On Saturday night, in an almost empty restaurant, we had to ask for a menu, find a member of staff to get the desert menu and then were presented with the un-asked for bill before we had time to order coffee.

• Visited July 2014