“No story telling, it was super !”

Cape Clear Island Holiday Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Clear Island
Cape Clear Island Holiday Hostel
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I went to Cape Clear for the Story Telling festival, which was a great experience, thanks partly to staying with Richie and Sinead. There was a very pleasant friendly atmosphere in their hostel, who was also so well kept. It definitely added to che charm of this amazing island who is kind of an extreme : so unspoilt and steepy ! It is also very friendly both for its inhabitants and visitors.

Room Tip: Sorry none, all rooms very good !
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Martine C

Reviewed 21 August 2012

My family and I had the pleasure of spending a week at the hostel on Cape Clear this summer.
We were blown away by the hospitality and attention to detail that Richard and Sinead put into day to day running of the place. The hostel is spotless, warm and friendly. We all loved our stay here. Despite the fact that it was busy with lots of people staying it was surprisingly quiet. The kitchen and dining area was large and very adequate to accommodate large groups of people.
The sitting room was very cosy and when the open fire was lit it was very pleasent. Waking up each morning with the sound of the waves on the beach and the seagulls call is magical.
I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone planning to stay on Cape Clear. You will not be disappointed and Richard and Sinead will do everything in their power to ensure your stay will be a happy and memorable one.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank burkej_burke203
anrichie, Owner at Cape Clear Island Holiday Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dennis, Jean, Katie (birthday girl) Jack and Jennifer,
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write such lovely comments about us, it is greatly appreciated. I hope all is well back in Florida (with the sunshine and exotic animals). We enjoyed your company again this year and hope that you will return next year too.
Best wishes to a mad, mad family,
Richie & Sinead (we've been having sponge cakes regular since you left us).

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We love Cape Cleir Island and have stayed in this hostel many times in the past. An amazing job has been done improving the place. It is tasteful and spotless. We do have one big hesitation. It is not a great place to relax if you intend taking part in the many outdoor activities that the island has to offer. The owners are incredibly particular about the property and the surrounding garden to a level where it was impossible for respectful adults and well behaved respectful children to relax. You hang your damp rain coat in the porch to dry and you find it on the cloths line in the pouring rain. You hang your damp towel after showering near the window and its out on the line etc etc. Two lovely French ladies were driven mad as were we.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mybace
anrichie, Owner at Cape Clear Island Holiday Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Susan,
I thank you for the good comments within your review, the headline is lovely, but must say I am very disappointed by the negative aspect of it.
I think it fair to be able to respond and ask you to reconsider.
You gave us low marks for ‘service’ yet I brought your bags over to the hostel and then took them to the pier when you left the hostel – we don’t make a habit of collecting bags because the island provides a mini-bus for this reason (this keeps two jobs going, so we try not to undermine it), but we will never willingly see our guest struggle with heavy bags.
Your beds were made up fresh and ready (not many hostels can say this), with free tea, milk, & sugar available in the kitchen. So, I am not sure what more I could have done for you – especially as you were out most of the time – I reckon that I saw you only three, maybe for times , for fleeting moments, while you were here.

I believe that you usually stay on the campsite or perhaps with your relatives on the island, or maybe with CDM's, which is fair enough. This particular time you were actually staying on the campsite but came over and asked if you could stay in the hostel, because (you said) the campsite was too noisy and your tent was suffering some issue or other (I note that you didn't mention the noise in your review of the campsite). I also remember you saying, pointedly, that you hoped you would have a quiet night at the hostel – I guaranteed that you would (and you did, thank you for the full marks for ‘sleep quality’) and this is because we work hard to make sure our guests do get a good night’s sleep, without the madness of youths dashing up and down the corridors in the early hours - we have all experienced this in other hostels, but it never happens in my hostel!!
You also seemed to be annoyed about something the minute you arrived, and I do remember you saying you had had a bad night camping. I always try to make allowances for others because you simply never know what they have been through in their journey to the island or, indeed, in their journey through life.

Ten years we have been working on this place to get it the way it is and we (Richie and Sinead, your hosts) are both mortified by parts of your review. We have only had praise up to now –so this is a severe shock, especially as the negative aspects could impact on our livelihood.

It is very, very true that we are very particular in the way we keep the hostel and we work hard throughout the year to keep it this way - all we ask is that if guests do water-sports they dry down before entering the house, this is for obvious safety reasons - wet stairs being one!

You say that it is not a good place from which to do activities, which is strange, because I gladly and willingly arrange for my guests to go kayaking – I have already arranged for three families and two German ladies to go kayaking tomorrow (the two ladies are returning guests). Almost all the kayaking on the island is done directly outside the hostel. I have regular school and youth groups staying here throughout the year and they all do the full range of activities, year in, year out. In addition to this I am the treasurer (volunteer) of the island canoe club – so I am at a loss to understand your remarks on this subject.

We believe that it is because we keep a clean and safe house that our guests return again and again. An example of this is the fact that we are full for the Storytelling Festival every year, with many of the same guests returning year after year.

Today we had a large group of young people (previous guests yet again) who went bouldering, and kayaking, and I took them fishing, for free, too. They caught mackerel which were shared amongst the rest of the guests in the hostel. They also had a great time with a barbecue directly outside the front of the hostel.

All guests are free to wander in the gardens, in fact we encourage our guests to sit in the garden and hand feed our chickens. Hardly a family escapes without meeting the ducks and feeding the chickens

We are hosting a session for children during the Storytelling Festival - and this evening I will be back out on the pier giving the children of our guests the chance to fish for mackerel (probably the first time for many of them).

Hostels must be run with care and consideration to ensure that all of our guests have an equal chance of a great experience. So, I know that I did my best to make you feel welcome but hardly saw you during your stay - I remember seeing you and your family all snorkelling in the harbour directly outside the hostel, but very little after that - I don't think you even saw the nice, warm open fire we had in the lounge?

I do remember the towel and wetsuits (not coat). We choose not to have towels and clothes hanging from our windows because it looks horrible - we have 47 windows and I clean them in and out once a fortnight - we have three clothes lines outdoors and a tumble dryer in the kitchen to cater for guests drying needs. The registration form you filled in when you arrived explains the above and we do take every guest on a tour of the hostel to explain these things and physically show them the fire exits. It is too late to be sorry when things go wrong!

I moved your wetsuits from the lobby at 7.30am (morning) because they were dripping profusely on the lobby floor, and I placed them on the line outside - this I did tell you at the time but you seemed determined not to believe this to be the case – if they had been out all night they would have been soaking wet, because it poured with rain during the night – this I promise you, they went out at 7.30am.

Another of my habits is to pick up a guest’s wet shoes, without being asked, and to place them in our electric shoe dryer – this is simply because I don’t want my guests to be uncomfortable when walking the hills. We are probably the only hostel in Ireland to have electric shoe dryers.

Finally, the two French ladies mentioned in your review, (who did not have a full grasp of English) were called Anne & Geneveive (I am sure they wouldn't mind me mentioning their first names - I make it habit too, to learn the names of all of my guests) they were both booked in for one night, but stayed for an extra night because they liked the hostel so much. They arrived early in the day before the room was ready and would have been happy to go straight in, but we always sweep, vacuum and clean each room thoroughly before a new guest is given the key. Any decent hostel must be strict on this point – you would be amazed at what gets left in the rooms sometimes! By the way they thanked us profusely when they left, saying they would return in the future.
The above is written with sincerity and I am more than willing to discuss any aspect of my reply at any time.
Best wishes
Richie & Sinead
Cape Clear Hostel

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This really is a super hostel. Fab location, great facilites, and very very clean. The toilets and showers in particular are spotlessly clean. Richie is a great host. This place is better than a lot of hotels I've stayed in. Great value for money. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reflecto

Dear Reflecto,

Thank you so much for your kind words they are very much appreciated. I do hope that you come and stay with us in the future.
Best wishes and thanks again
Richie and Sinead

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Me and a friend visit the hostel every summer for the past 8 years and we always have a brilliant time!! The hostel is squeaky clean, with lots of facilities and you can even borrow Richards rods to go fishing. It's incredibly friendly and homely and we feel extremely welcome every time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, and the shared dorms are nice and spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Alice T
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I've just come back after a few days with my group of high-school students. Our time on Cape was wonderful and much of this was due to the fantastic hostel - and the help Richie was always ready to provide.
We'd already stayed at another hostel on the mainland and my students could scarcely believe the cleanliness, the facilities and the attention to detail. In fact, I saw one girl's jaw literally drop as Richie was showing us around.
This hostel is exceptional.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed 4 September 2011

This was our first trip to Ireland, and decided to visit Cape Clear almost on a whim. There are few options for lodging on the island, so we picked this, hoping for the best. That turned out to be exactly what we got - the best. The hostel is immaculate, but still quite comfortable, and has a stunning view of South Harbour and its cliffs. The owner, Ritchie, runs a tight ship, and while some may be daunted by the list of house rules, it actually results in a laid-back, no-hassles experience. The house is colorfully painted inside, and spotless. The kitchen is quite large, with ample space for your groceries, and the dining area is just spacious. Ritchie, the host, is a delight to talk with on a number of topics, and is very good with children as well. I'd love to come back here for a week or more and really settle into the island's rhythms.

Room Tip: It's an easy walk from the ferry to the hostel, unless you have a lot of heavy bags, in which ca...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter G

Been to Cape Clear Island Holiday Hostel? Share your experiences!