Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsrocky pointnorth shorekalani hawaiigreat hostsplace to staysurf spotsclean housecommunal kitchensurf competitionkept spotlessly cleangreat surfingoutdoor showeracross the streetother guestslittle piece of paradiseshort driveown meals
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I literally cannot speak highly enough of this place. I dream about it every night and have recommended it to so many people.

I was travelling alone and had stayed in Waikiki for nearly 3 weeks but feel like i missed out massively and should have stayed here for my entire stay in Hawaii. I stayed in the 4 bed dorm which had 2 large bunk beds and it was some of the best nights sleep I've ever had. The house is in a massive gated compound and has such lovely gardens with a large patio/ communal area. Its right on the highway and about a 2 minute walk to the beautiful beaches of the north shore. There is a bus that runs every 30 minutes or so but i would advise people staying here would be better off either travelling light or hiring a car to get here.

I want to say a BIG thank you to Maria and Bernie who are such wonderful, accommodating people and were always happy to help out and show you places to go. What they have done to the house is incredible.

I have always wanted to visit the North Shore since i was a child due to my love of surfing and my stay at Kalani made it the best trip of my entire life.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hannah M
Reviewed 15 June 2014

i loved this place ! i never wanted to leave.. they offer so much things and i couldnt believe my eyes when i got there.. the beds are awesome, there are so many showers and toliets to use. The kitchen is massive and you can borrow any water gear FREE !!!

the best part u are living across the street from sunset, rocky point and my all time fav pipeline (10mins away)

i will always return here and the owners are the best people ive ever ever met..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Yoshi R
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I were lucky enough to book three nights at the Sunrise-Sunset Studio - it was perfect! Our studio included a very comfortable king bed, a well-stocked small kitchen, and plenty of storage space. The bathroom facilities were inside but the shower was outside (but completely fenced in and private) and wonderful! We also had the use of a large, nicely landscaped yard with lounge chairs, table and chairs. Be aware, if you are a "city person," that you are not in Honolulu - and thank heavens for that! You will hear the sounds of the North Shore: birds, roosters crowing, waves crashing, etc. If you're not used to anything but the sound of traffic or an air conditioner, it may take some time to get used to but worth it. Best of all, Bernie and Maria Inez were wonderful hosts! They were so warm, welcoming, and helpful that our time there was really enhanced. We learned lots about where to go, what to do, where to eat, and they were great suggestions! Mahalo, Bernie and Maria, y espero que nos veamos de nuevo!

Room Tip: Kalani has lots of options, from a shared house to private rooms - check their website or talk to Maria before booking.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three weeks and didn't want to leave. The location is perfect for a travelling surfer. Rockies at the front, pipe to the left and sunset to the right. The rooms are spotless and cleaned everyday. Bernie and Marie are the perfect hosts and can help with any information. Would love to come back one day.
Peace
Matt Killey

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 28 March 2014

As I sit at home now sipping my Kona coffee I feel the need to let everyone know about my time in Hawaii and specifically my 2 weeks at the Kalani Hawaii.
I have never travelled alone and I have also never stayed in a place like this (shared bathroom and kitchen). I was a little worried but that quickly faded once I met Bernie and all the other amazing people who were staying there when I was there 2-3 weeks ago. I don't know if everyone who stays here is always so friendly and amazing but every single person I met while staying here were and that made my trip. As for the place here is my pro's and con's (if you can even call them that) list (I really like lists!!!!)

Pros….
-Super super clean (and this is coming from someone who is a little OCD so….)
-Pristine landscaping, they work very hard to keep the gardens looking perfect and it really shows
-Friendly staff and friendly guests. Everyone was helpful and 100% respectful of your stuff and space
-Perfect location, walk across the street and your at the beach (Rocky Point) walk a few minutes up the beach to the right and you are at Sunset Beach… what more could you ask for really
-Safe, I felt 100% safe staying here by myself. It is a gated entrance and there are surveillance cameras in all the common areas (kitchen, backyard, entrance etc…) so I was never worried about non house guests walking around without the owners knowing about it.
-Quiet, this is not a party house. The people who were there at the same time as me were all there for the outdoor activities, surfing, snorkelling, diving etc…. so after full days out in the sun and water we all went to bed at a decent hour, and those that stayed up late were quiet and respectful of those who were sleeping.

Cons
-Roosters roam all over the North Shore and you can hear them, especially early in the morning. Nothing you can do about it, they are wild and are everywhere and honestly after a few days I got used to it. They are noisy around 5:30-6:00 a.m but that is about when I was waking up anyways to start the day (as everyone should, your in Hawaii for crying out loud get out of your room and out into the sun and sea :)
-Next door neighbours dogs… they too were loud at 6:00 a.m (almost on the dot) every morning so the first few mornings I was annoyed and then again I was up and out the door shortly after anyways so…. who cares you're in paradise…. deal with it!

It was an amazing trip and I cannot wait to go back next year, and you better believe I will be back at the Kalani for my stay while on Oahu.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Hibiscus room on the end of the house near the office. It was nice because we had our own fridge (to share) other then the one in the kitchen that everyone uses. And it is away from the common areas, if you are fearful of loud people chatting it up all night. Would stay in that room again for sure.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Cjanzy