“Peaceful and Intriguing” 5 of 5 bubbles

34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Peaceful and Intriguing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stopping at Corcomroe Abbey was included in a tour we took. We didn't know anything about it prior to that day but our tour guide enthusiastically filled us in prior to arrival. I'm not sure if other tourists don't know about Corcomroe or what but we were the only visitors there, which was nice for photos. I love old architecture so this was a win-win for me. The location is a bit off the beaten path so it was quiet and serene as we strolled through. It's a quick, wonderful visit, but if you are driving and have many other stops planned I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to squeeze this one in.

Visited June 2014

158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 508 helpful votes
“Fantastic piece of history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We saw it on a tour, so perhaps some of the explanations given made it more special. Built about 800 years ago, you can see sequential building styles from gothic to Roman. There is a cemetery there with graves several hundred years old. The building itself is cool - the archways with the pointed tops are gothic and the rounded ones are roman, highlighting who was doing the building over the years.

You can even see at the windows, the inverted T openings - which were used to shoot crossbows out of, vs the vertical ones for regular bows and arrows.

On the grounds, there is a broken down building which used to be the infirmary.

Tres cool.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank pw0867
Center Moriches, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Impressive Abbey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Arrived to find the grounds almost deserted, which enhanced our experience of this very peaceful spot in a lovely valley. It is quite large with many grave sites outside the walls denoting its 900 year history. A beautiful piece of living history.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Chris B
Miami Beach, Florida
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Beautiful Abbey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I simply loved this abbey - Thoughts of living in such an isolated setting crossed my mind as we drove up towards Corcomroe Abbey. It is one of the oldest places I've ever visited, founded in 1194...

The celtic crosses and headstones were very interesting to see - the grounds well-kept. I felt a strange but positive energy as I walked around the grounds, walking through hundred-year old graves. It was so peaceful there especially that we didn't have a big crowd that day.

It's a great place to take photos as well - awesome ancient Irish architecture!

Visited November 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Serene Stop Between Galway and Moher”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

This abbey is the perfect place to stop on your way to the Cliffs of Moher. Almost no one was there with us, and we were able to explore the graves and artifacts at our leisure. It was so serene, and it was wonderful place to escape the hustle and bustle of Galway.

Here are the GPS coordinates that we used: N53.12656,W009.06434