“Good Solid Breakfast in an Elegant Setting”

Brendan O'Regan Room
Ranked #32 of 107 Restaurants in Ennis
Price range: US$0 - US$31
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This elegant restaurant has long been a favourite place for Clare people celebrating special events or just enjoying a wonderful dinner or Sunday lunch. The talented team of innovative chefs produce superb dishes from the best of local produce. Burren Rack of Lamb, Miltown Malby Crabmeat, Salmon with a Chablis Sauce and St. Tola's Goat's Cheese are just some of the delicious options to be enjoyed. Freshly cooked breakfasts are served each morning from 7.00 am to 10.00.
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stopped off here for breakfast one Sunday morning recently on my way back to Dublin. The place was positively buzzing at 9:30 am. The breakfast room offers the usual buffet style for self-service with the customary juices and fruits, “fresh” out of the tin or packet, but not from the market. When, if ever, are we going to get away from food served straight out of tins and packets in this country of ours?
The rest of the breakfast is served at table and there is a good choice on the menu including the usual Irish breakfast fry, organic porridge, pancakes and fish. The table is attractively set out with linen cloths, shining silver cutlery and attractive crockery. Although the place was extremely busy I was served quickly and efficiently. I was not asked if I wanted toast which came automatically and which was left go to waste, as I did not need any.
I opted for the porridge and the pancakes. The porridge came with crème fraîche and honey and was very tasty indeed. What arrived next were the American style pancakes and not the French style crêpes that I was expecting. However, they came without sauce of any kind and I had to request some honey to accompany them. That seemed slightly odd to me not to serve maple syrup with this dish. And they were slightly burned on the outside, which I could have done without but still they were fairly okay. If the place had not been so busy, I would have returned them to the kitchen, but I took pity on the slightly harassed staff so I simply ate them.
The coffee was very good: it was strong and hot and was indeed a welcome treat at this hour of the morning. Breakfast is nearly always a good-value meal in this country and for €12 it really set me up for the day.

There are newer reviews for Brendan O'Regan Room

Reviewed 16 February 2013

classic styling matched by top quality service and food. thoroughly enjoyed the meal and would call back again with no hesitations

Reviewed 14 February 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at the Old Ground Hotel - Our room and en-suite were spacious and well-appointed with a garden view. The real turf fires in the public areas compensated for the winter rain outside. We enjoyed our bar lunch and dinner in the O'Brien Room Restaurant very much: delicious, well-presented starters and mains, friendly, efficient and unobtrusive service and pleasant, lively ambience. Breakfast was only adequate, but everything else exceeded our expectations. Would we stay and dine at the Old Ground / O'Brien Room again? Definitely!

Reviewed 26 September 2012

I was travelling recently to Co. Clare and was looking forward to getting off the motor way to have our Sunday lunch. As we drove along the streets of Ennis I decided to ask a lady where would we get a decent lunch in the town. She advised us to go the Old Ground Hotel and gave us directions. We had a fabulous three course lunch in plush surroundings at great value. THe food was top class from a varied and exiting menu. Classy hotel, georgous well cooked and presented food and value. A special mention for the well trained staff, who were most attentive . Highly recommended !

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Loved the soup, the mains and the dessert....best dessert I have had in a long time...more vegetarian options would be good...I did ask as I did not like the pasta dish on offer and I did have lovely spring rolls for mains