“Simply Amazing Stay”

Ranked #6 of 33 Ennis B&B and Inns
Seguin, Texas
“Simply Amazing Stay”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

To maximize our Ireland vacation my family and I spent our nights at different hotels in the different places we visited. When we arrived in Ennis and checked in at Westbrook House, we were greeted by Domhnall Lynch, proprietor. He was very gracious and made us feel welcome in the guesthouse. During check in, we mentioned that we would be celebrating my daughter's 14th birthday during our stay and he mentioned that it was marvelous and began mentioning places we should take her to visit and such. He then showed us to our room. The room was very clean and and very well tended. The morning meals were cooked to our liking and very delicious. On the day of our daughter's birthday we went to breakfast and were very surprised when Domhall and his wife Sheelagh presented my daughter with a wonderfully delicious birthday cake and sang her happy birthday. We couldn't have been more happy and my daughter was ecstatic and exclaimed how this was her best birthday yet. Our visit was magnificent and we owe it all to Domhnall and Sheelagh. Their marvelous hospitality and friendship is unlike anything else we have ever experienced. We look forward to staying with them on our subsequent visits to Ireland and want to thank them again for a marvelous experience.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.
1 Thank ErnieC78155

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
West Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I have to be up front that my husband wanted to give three stars, and I wanted to give it two. The discrepancy in the rating is due to the noise level from the street. I did not want to stay at any B&B that was on a busy road. The noise bothered him less than I, but he could sleep on a railroad track. The owner was extremely accommodating. We were traveling during unprecedented heat/weather and the first room she showed us to was very large and roomy, but very hot as it was sun-facing for most of the day. When we noted our concern, she quickly showed us to another room that was quite a bit smaller, but also a bit cooler as it was on the other side of the building. The decor was a bit dated, the paint was peeling on the ceiling in the bathroom. The shower was small with no area to put toiletries, weak water pressure, lukewarm water, and the towels were very hard, wrinkled, and rough. Okay, that may sound nit-picky, but I like my morning shower. Looking on the bright side, it did give me a full body exfoliation that I was not expecting. The breakfast was very good and the decor in the dining room was just lovely, and sunny. Others have noted a good value for the money, but we had booked through an agent and did not have a breakout by B&B so I am unable to compare by price.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Super clean and quaint. The rooms are comfortable, there is no airconditioning but that is OK as the windows open.. The bathroom is very clean as is the entire hotel.
The hosts are very personal and friendly. Breakfast is cooked to order.
The hotel is within walking distance to town center where there are a lot of lovely pubs.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Earthbound-Traveler
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The only positive was paying 49 euro for a twin room. Now let's list the negatives:

1. Couldn't find the place. "Galway Road" did not show up on our Garmin GPS. Got some directions at a petrol station but the signage on the road did not read "Galway Road".
2. We tried calling the place multiple times. Busy signal. (According the owner the next day, they were switching phone companies so nothing was going through.) We asked a man outside a McDonalds if he knew where this place was, and he said just down the road.
3. Found it and after repeated knocking, the hostess came to the door and didn't seem to be expecting us, despite an email confirmation.
4. She showed us to our room. My wife found a spot on a sheet later and when we asked the hostess to see it, she said some kids had been using ink markers. Can't replace the sheet?
5. Found old coats in the closet.
6. Internet connection only worked sitting on the steps to the 2nd floor.
7. In the morning our hair dryer would not work. Host reset the breaker and then it did.
8. Finally, when checking out, our credit card would not work in their machine (only time in 3 weeks of holiday that happened). I made it easy by paying in cash. Hello, Inland Revenue, are you listening?

Room Tip: Away from the busy street
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luv2travel009
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was expecting something quite special based on the reviews. On the positive side, the owners were very friendly and pleasant, the location is good and there was no road noise even with the window open. However the beds were uncomfortable, I had to use all my body weight to open the room door and the bathroom was very tired. I had to stand in the corner to open the door to get out of the bathroom. I initially thought there was no hot water in the sink due to the number of turns required to get the water to run. It was ok for one night but I am glad it was not for any longer.

• Stayed July 2013
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Hospitality - Well beyond my expectations!
Breakfast - Outstanding! Loved the Savory pancakes!
Price - Hard to beat!
Location - Short distance from center of Ennis. Centrally located for a number of nearby sites. We used the Westbrook as our home base for a number of day trips. Also, the Westbrook is only a short distance from the center of Ennis, a great little town.
Facilities - Some minor issues but overall very clean and comfortable!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank swittyT14
Woodstown, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 July 2013

you go to Ireland for the people. If I wanted to stay in a big fancy hotel I would go somwhere else. Stayed 5 nights with Sheelagh and Domhnal and I felt as if I was among friends. they simply could not do enought for you. My room was clean, the shower was hot when I needed it and the breakfasts were excellant. My hosts could not have done more for me as far as providing information about their country, food, music, and driving tips!! when affter 5 nights we left for other parts of the country my daughter actually cried because we were leaving a place that felt like home. what every true wanderer looks for in a b and b

2 Thank karenandhaley