“Great as a hostel......”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rowan Tree Hostel

Rowan Tree Hostel
Ranked #1 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Ennis
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great as a hostel......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I only booked here because of the price and the location, normally I use hotels. However, it was a very good experience except for the noise. I was in room 211 and the first night (Saturday) there were apparently a lot of arrivals and/or departures in the very early morning so doors were being slammed for getting on for an hour. Had the same on the Monday. There was also what sounded like a water pump that kept kicking in during the night. I guess there's just nothing the owners can do about any of this but I barely got one good night's sleep out of the four I was there. I think this is a problem specific to the rooms so probably not an issue in the dorms.

Otherwise, great location, friendly staff, the place is clean and the room had a good bathroom although we did lose hot water one night.

All the experienced back packers in the place rated it as a 5* hostel and they are the experts not me.

Some of the photos posted on the website are a little bit misleading so I've attached a couple of my own. The view out of my window reminded me of another part of Ireland I was in 30 years ago and north of the border!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Quite easily one of the best hostels I've stayed at. Friendly and helpful staff 24/7 who'd know what there is to do in town and where to find good music. I stayed in a clean room for six with sturdy bunk beds. Nice kitchen with all the stuff you'd need for cooking. Continental breakfast included. WiFi on first floor, worked fine with my computer on the second floor as well. Definitely coming back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at the Rowan Tree Hostel whilst I was on the a tour with Shamrockers. It was a great hostel. Very clean and very spacious, which was great since it was a 6 bed dorm. Good sturdy and comfortable bunk beds. The bathroom was also very clean and spacious. There were no lockers in the room which was a little downside, but as we were only there for one night it wasn't really a big issue. The staff were friendly, and there was an included continental breakfast. The wifi was also strong in the rooms. Oh, and they also offered free 10 minutes international calls to a landline!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I only stayed here one night on a stopover to another Irish city, but it was a great stay. I was upgraded from a dorm to a private room upon my arrival and there was good wifi and helpful staff. Beautiful location on the river as well. Also, the free 10 minute international calls was a definite highlight. I got to hear my Mom's voice for the first time in 6 weeks :)

Room Tip: If you can, book a room with a river view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed here on a tour with Shamrockers and it was lovely. We had a huge room with 6 beds. From memory I don't think we had lockers in our rooms, but I saw some downstairs. Staff were really friendly too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Rowan Tree Hostel was the perfect place to stay in Ennis. Three of us stayed in an ensuite room and it was a great size. The location of the hostel is really good. Close to lots of restaurants and shops in Ennis. Ennis itself is a really great base camp for exploring the west coast, close to the Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Bunratty. The staff were all really nice and helpful. The wifi worked well, which is more than many places can say. The breakfast was good, although I didn't really love the fact that everyone washed their own dishes (not because I didn't want to, just unsure about some of the washing quality). I would definitely recommend the Rowan Tree Hostel and would surely stay there again if I was in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at the Rowan Tree for two nights during our trip to Ireland and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there overlooking the River Fergus. Of the four hostels we stayed at during our vacation, the Rowan Tree was our favorite. Lovely location, great facilities, and a wonderful and friendly staff made our visit to Ennis all the more memorable. BTW - Ennis is a delightful town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the River Fergus - wonderful!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple