“Bad Experience”

Rowan Tree Hostel
Millersville, Pennsylvania
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I stayed one night on Tues, April 15th in the Rowan Tree Hostel in Ennis, Ireland. We planned on staying 3 nights but we checked out 2 days early. When we checked in on Tuesday we went to the room after paying for the 3 nights. We wanted to take a shower but there was no hot water. There was no place to hang up clothes. The bathroom basin was so small that it reminded us of that little basin at the dentist where you spit into while having your teeth cleaned. There was no shower curtain. The bathroom reminded me of something you would see in a Nazi gas chamber. Very Spartan. The bed was all right, but we got no sleep because people were slamming doors ALL NIGHT LONG. The continental breakfast was terrible consisting of bread for toast, cereal, coffee and tea.
We tried to check out the next day and asked for a refund of the 2 nights we had paid for. The desk clerk said he did not have the authority to give our money back. I told him that if he didn't we would go to the Garda (police) around the corner. He still refused. Finally the owner Brian showed up and refunded our money.
My advice is DON"T STAY at the Rowan Tree Hostel. We went directly across the street to the Queens Hotel which was wonderful for the remaining 2 days.
Greg Miller
Millersville, Pennsylvania

Room Tip: Don't choose any room at this hostel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greg M
RowanTreeEnnis, Owner at Rowan Tree Hostel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hi Greg, When you first checked in to Rowan Tree you and your wife were delighted with the room, when you notified the reception that your shower was not hot it was rectified immediately as you know as I personally came to your room 5 mins later to ensure it was working. There are hooks with hangers and shelves in the room for your clothes. The en-suite bathroom in the room you were staying in is wheelchair accessible and has been modified as such ie. wetroom shower without shower curtain and the washbasin is as specified by building regulations for accessible bathrooms. Our complimentary breakfast consists of tea,coffee,juice,brown and white bread freshly baked scones from our cafe bar, fruit, yogurt, cereal, oats ( porridge) and as much as you like. You came to the reception after midnight when returning from the pub and verbally abused the night receptionist who informed you that I would be at reception in the morning and would of course refund you for your remaining nights stay, which of course I did when I met you in the morning. I am delighted that you had a pleasant remaining stay in Ennis. Maybe hostels are just not for you, as most of our reviews are very positive and we have been awarded Best Hostel in Ireland many times and have this year been nominated for best hostel in the world. Regards from all the team @Rowan Tree Hostel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Rowan Tree Hostel is wonderful! It has a perfect location for someone who wants to get out and explore Ennis, and the rooms are so lovely. I highly recommend staying here if you get the chance - they even do upgrades if you're lucky ;)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thanks a million for your very nice review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and hope you have a chance to come back again soon. Regards from all the team @ Rowan tree Hostel
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

The hostel is in a central location, has a nice restaurant attached. Large kitchen great to use with a large communal area with wifi. The staff were friendly. The dorm rooms were of a good size with ensuite bathroom. The shower was not good poor faucet little flow and mostly cold. The faucet is to high by the time water reaches you if it does. Fan not working so lots of steam.

The shower was the only poor point of this hostel otherwise a nice place to stay.

Stayed March 2014
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I only booked here because of the price and the location, normally I use hotels. However, it was a very good experience except for the noise. I was in room 211 and the first night (Saturday) there were apparently a lot of arrivals and/or departures in the very early morning so doors were being slammed for getting on for an hour. Had the same on the Monday. There was also what sounded like a water pump that kept kicking in during the night. I guess there's just nothing the owners can do about any of this but I barely got one good night's sleep out of the four I was there. I think this is a problem specific to the rooms so probably not an issue in the dorms.

Otherwise, great location, friendly staff, the place is clean and the room had a good bathroom although we did lose hot water one night.

All the experienced back packers in the place rated it as a 5* hostel and they are the experts not me.

Some of the photos posted on the website are a little bit misleading so I've attached a couple of my own. The view out of my window reminded me of another part of Ireland I was in 30 years ago and north of the border!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Quite easily one of the best hostels I've stayed at. Friendly and helpful staff 24/7 who'd know what there is to do in town and where to find good music. I stayed in a clean room for six with sturdy bunk beds. Nice kitchen with all the stuff you'd need for cooking. Continental breakfast included. WiFi on first floor, worked fine with my computer on the second floor as well. Definitely coming back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at the Rowan Tree Hostel whilst I was on the a tour with Shamrockers. It was a great hostel. Very clean and very spacious, which was great since it was a 6 bed dorm. Good sturdy and comfortable bunk beds. The bathroom was also very clean and spacious. There were no lockers in the room which was a little downside, but as we were only there for one night it wasn't really a big issue. The staff were friendly, and there was an included continental breakfast. The wifi was also strong in the rooms. Oh, and they also offered free 10 minutes international calls to a landline!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I only stayed here one night on a stopover to another Irish city, but it was a great stay. I was upgraded from a dorm to a private room upon my arrival and there was good wifi and helpful staff. Beautiful location on the river as well. Also, the free 10 minute international calls was a definite highlight. I got to hear my Mom's voice for the first time in 6 weeks :)

Room Tip: If you can, book a room with a river view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo