“Wonderful treatment from staff!”

Rowan Tree Cafe Bar
Ranked #6 of 109 Restaurants in Ennis
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Rowan Tree Café Bar is in the most beautiful location overlooking the river Fergus in the centre of Ennis. Our building is one of the oldest in Ennis, a former Gentleman's Club built in 1740, steeped in history and character where our high ceilings, open fire and covered riverside terrace give you an experience like no other in Town. Our large seating capacity of 120 guests and our 3 different rooms including one 25 guest private dining room and lends itself perfectly to small and large group dining, we have a variety of menu options to suit all tastes and occasions. Our team are passionate about sourcing and preparing the very best of Irish, Locally sourced and ethically produced ingredients and show the best food that Ireland has to offer, all of which is served to you with a Mediterranean style by people who take pride in the fact that food is only one of the ingredients that makes for a fantastic dining experience. We encourage our staff to be show off their own personalities while ensuring our guests are given a warm and genuine "Cead Mile Failte". The restaurants approachable staff ensures smooth service in one of Ennis's busiest and yet most relaxed establishments. Our listed building brings the warmth of old Ireland where you will dine in former dance halls and billiards rooms into the our 21st Century café bar experience with big bay windows, high ceilings, original artworks by renowned Clare artists and pitched pine floors all add to the relaxed atmosphere we try to create. There is no better way to start or finish the day then with a cup of Illy coffee or a glass of wine in hand while sitting and watching the majestic river Fergus flow by. Find us on social media by using the #rowan3
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Called here last night at approx 9.15pm only to be told the kitchen was closed. We asked to use their toilet as we had long journey home (three and a half - four hours)
We explained we had travelled that morning to a funeral in Roan and were on our way back home again. When the staff heard this they insisted we sit down and they would get us something to eat. They couldn't have us travel so far on an empty stomach.We hadn't eaten since breakfast before leaving home.
My husband and I were totally amazed at this. They offered us a choice and proceeded to produce beautiful food within 10 minutes. I have never experienced such nice people or so understanding, It should be said the lady (appeared to be the Manageress) and the young waitress deserve recognition from their employers.
I hope the proprietor realises what treasures he has with these two members of staff.
We arrived home this morning approx 2am and I can honestly say on reflection that this experience really lifted our spirits after a very emotional day
Thankyou both for your kindness. We really appreciate it and hope it is recognised by your employers financially.

5  Thank BB161

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Good mixture (steak, pizza , pasta,fish) well priced menu in nice old surroundings recently renovated - good for coffee outside beside the river wrapped up in their blankets

2  Thank MTGIreland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Organised a group dinner here. There was about 40 of us all wanting to eat at once which I'm sure most restaurants hate. We did ring a day or two in advance so it wasn't like they weren't expecting us. We were in our own room separated from the rest of the restaurant which was fair enough.

Some of our group had eaten their main and dessert and paid before others had even got their main...they seemed to go table by table...thankfully I wasn't one of the people waiting for ages as I think I would have eaten one of the people on my tour instead. My friend ordered a steak which was way overdone...my pizza wasn't too bad and other people did enjoy their food, there was a bit of a mixed response. To be fair to the manager she took the steak off the bill...however someone mentioned they had noticed her smashing back a bottle of wine...not sure if this is the norm in this restaurant or if the pressure had got too much...wouldn't surprise me if they had been a bit short staffed in the kitchen because it all seemed to be a bit of a disaster.

Hope they are more prepared next time...

4  Thank Haddz
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped at this restaurant thinking it had a nice location and that we could eat Easter dinner here. The food was terrible. The lamb was sliced so thin and tasted like they bought it frozen and thawed it. No flavor at all. The mash tasted boxed. Two of us said that without knowing the other thought it. Mint sauce had to be asked for and was so much like vinegar with no mint taste so it couldn't help the lamb. Carrots were ok but small serving and didn't seem fresh at all. Find a local pub to eat in and you will be happier. With all the choices in and around Ennis, why did we choose this one for Easter dinner?

2  Thank Crt1943
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed wonderful food in a relaxed and very authentic setting-the Rowan Tree is definitely worth the trip to Ennis! Loved every bite of every meal...I'll be back!!

1  Thank Anne19731