“Great Staff & Location - Don't go on a weekend”

Queens Hotel & Night Club
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Lander, Wyoming
“Great Staff & Location - Don't go on a weekend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Friendly and helpful desk and restaurant staff really make the Queens Hotel a fantastic option, unless you're staying on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night when the nightclub rocks loudly until 2:30 a.m. or longer.

Desk staff are upfront warning about the noise, but no room seems to escape the din and street revelers. Rooms are clean and well appointed. Provided breakfast quite good.

I'd return on any day but a weekend. Kudos to all the staff for their attention, help and friendly demeanor.

Room Tip: You can try a room on the Francis Street side to get farther from the nightlife noise. Certainly the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank skeets_miller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed here two nonconsecutive nights in August.

#1: Sunday. Filthy bathroom with mysterious red/brown stains all over the counter. Disco started at 11 pm and was loud enough to hear the lyrics (not just the thumping beat) straight through til 2 am. Somehow through a combination of ambien and earplugs and jetlag I got a bit of sleep, though my roommate did not.

#2: Saturday. Dreaded returning here, especially on a Saturday night. Reservations were all screwed up (traveling in a group, some of us were couples, some not, wrong bed combos, etc); front desk didn't seem to care. This room smelled like cigarettes and our window opened to a rooftop covered in cigarette butts. Random vacuum cleaner was left in the middle of our room...which begged the question had it ever been used? Came home after dinner to discover the power was out in our room -- had a brief moment of hope that the disco would be part of this blackout as well, but a friendly (yes -- he was lovely!) fellow came up and changed a fuse. I guess the other bright spot was that the bathroom counter in this room wasn't covered in mysterious stains, but any goodwill earned was destroyed by the disco and pub which, we soon learned, go til 4 on Saturdays. I tried my ambien/earplug combo again but was blasted out of bed by Dexy's Midnight Runners at 2:45 am, leading to a pathetic episode of me walking around trying to figure out whether I could sleep in the hallway (no -- even louder) or the bathroom (no -- no bathtub).

Apparently there are nights the disco isn't open which I suspect is what accounts for this hotel's few decent reviews -- but even had we found a silent disco, the weird stains, left-behind vacuum, cigarette smells, and brief power outage don't add up to much.

Room Tip: Need a good room? Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank imisskauai

Travellers are raving about these Ennis hotels

Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I am on the road for business, stayed here a few times in the past and found it basic but liked the central location, On the most recent visit retired early rather than have a few pints out. Found it disappointing, I like to read before bed, often in the bath, but the bath was very shallow, then in bed there was no bedside lamps, the only light in the room came from two dim wall-mounts 'modern' light fittings on the far wall, impossible to read. Tried the TV but no remote. Could have stayed in a BnB for half the price and had a better experience. Said it staff next morning about the dim lighting and the response was just to ask if I had complained at the time, which I hadn't bothered with.

Room Tip: If you like to read in bed make sure you ask for a bedside lamp first.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sean D
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here on a Thursday night and had a few sleepless hours until late in the night. Despite room windows being closed we could clearly hear the lyrics of every single song the live band played in the bar below. Expected some on street noise due to central location of hotel but extreme level of noise from within the hotel was a shock.

Complained the morning after and got very little sympathy - asked if I could have been put in a room further from the noise given hotel was not full and was told noise from nightclub and bar can be heard in every room in hotel.

Price was reasonable but the basic level of service I expect in a hotel room is a good nights sleep. Didn't receive this.

Room Tip: Reception told me all are equally loud on nights nightclub opens (Thursday - Sunday)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pigeonbutler
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

After reading the previous reviews I am quite surprised with the feedback. Myself and my husband stayed in the Queens Hotel for two nights last week and had a great time. Agreed it is not the Ritz but neither are the prices. The staff were lovely, they went out of their way to accommodate us, above and beyond. The food was amazing, all freshly made to order and our rooms were fresh and clean. What more would you want!
We were warned before hand about the noise from the nightclub but that didn't bother us. Ennis is a beautiful town with lots of little interesting shops and restaurants. Sitting outside in the gorgeous weather, sipping our drinks listening to a busker playing melodic harmonies, we could have been in the South of France. We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel room was comfortable enough but that was about all the place had going for it, that and the breakfast wasn't a buffet and you could order it from a waitor. (I hate sleeping in, going downstairs and discovering stale food sitting out) The hairdryer fell apart in my hands and gave my boyfriend some kind of electric shock. The bath and shower curtain had mildew on them but what really made me angry were the staff. They were the height of rudeness. We went for dinner in the hotel restaurant on the first night and the waiter was rude and ignorant. Not to mention he spent all his time pandering to the American guests as he knew it was customary to tip in the States and was clearly sucking up for a tip, while he couldn't even be bothered to oncork my wine. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. The woman who appaered to be the manager made a point to make my boyfriend to feel like idiots! Later on in the evening when she realised I was dissatisfied with her service she tried to make awkward small talk with my boyfriend and I but when i made it clear I wasn't going to give her an inch she gave up trying to make amends. The hotel is mediocre but the staff were ROTTEN and even if the hotel offered to make it up to me by offering me another stay I'd actually throw it back in their faces and say that all I bloody want is an apology!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jeanpowell21atgmail
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Do not stay here. Spend a little more and stay elsewhere. Our carpets were filthy and stained with what looked like vomit, the room was filled with dust and cobwebs, the shower had stains all over it, and there were lots of holes in the walls and a broken picture frame hanging on the wall. Additionally, the room smelled like stale cigarette smoke. The shower was broken so you couldn't adjust the temperature and was scalding hot. To top it off, the hotel is directly above a nightclub, which has salsa dancing until 2AM. Our room was literally vibrating - and this all happened on a Sunday night. When we checked in, the hotel staff was rude. We asked about the nightclub noise and she said, "it shouldn't be a problem." When we asked for a different room, we were told that there wasn't a clean one available, as the housekeeping staff left for the day before cleaning the rooms that were vacant for the night. (We later learned that this was not true when offered another room at midnight due to the noise by a different staff member. This was also above the nightclub so it didn't make a difference). We spoke to a manager the next day and complained, but have yet to receive a refund. Lonely Planet guidebook recommended it... and we can't figure out why. This was a TERRIBLE hotel.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends