“Great location, lots of character, fabulous food!”
Review of Old Ground Hotel

Old Ground Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Our tour group ended our journey with two nights here. I was stunned with the variety and quality of the food. My room was large and comfortable. The staff from reception to porters to wait staff were all friendly and so willing to please. The hotel bar was charming and a fun place to hang out after a long day of touring. And, the hotel is less than 30 minutes from Shannon airport, so very easy to end a trip there....not that I EVER want to leave Ireland. On my next trip, I will definitely plan to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jerelyn913
Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Last Sunday evening my family and I visited the Poets Corner, with a view to having dinner there like so many times in the last thirty or so years. Upon arrival there all the tables were in use, so we waited about 25 minutes or so which is not unusual. This is the usual pattern, and when a table becomes available whoever is nearest sits and gets served, this is how it has been for as long as I am going there. However, when we sat down a young barman arrived under the guise of wiping the table and told us we would have to leave, as there were people waiting longer than us, when I asked him where they were, he pointed at two people (very much his own age) who were sitting very comfortably at the bar, where there was no reason I could see why they could not be served where they were, thus enabling the five of us plus the two of them to be facilitated, and the hotel to
benefit. This was for me a most humiliating experience in a place where I have recommended to very people for a very long time, and taken any visitors I have ever had reason to entertain in Ennis. Also this is coupled with an incident in the Town Hall restaurant for my husbands 60th birthday, when they had no record of my booking. Someone need a wake-up call!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank annkiernan
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Located in center of Ennis not far from Shannon airport. Handy to Aran islands ferry, Cliffs of Moher, with a very friendly and helpful staff. Room was spacious (for Europe) and quiet. Shops and restaurants a-plenty within walking distance, but Town hall restaurant (attached to hotel) is excellent! Plenty of parking in rear - always pulled right into a spot when arrived at hotel after touring.

1  Thank George M
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Pleasant stay, Nice rooms. Friendly staff...A one night stay but would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My daughter gave myself and my husband a weekend at The Old Ground, Ennis and we had an absolutely fantastic time there. The staff was so nice and nothing was a bother to them. The bedrooms were just perfect and the bed was so comfortable. The food was just out of this world. We had a great time and would definitely recommend this hotel to people.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and it was extremely quiet. I do not like to be near the lift. If you can g...
2  Thank RubyCa
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Having received a voucher from a sister hotel, we decided to try out this hotel which was local to us for our wedding anniversary.

On arrival we were delighted to receive an upgrade by the absolutely charming lady on reception... we found our room to be really beautifully decorated , although the views over the roof weren't great. The bathroom was nice, but suffered from some water damage on the woodwork caused by a very vigorous shower splashing out of the shower screen!

After popping out for a walk, we returned to find a lovely bowl of fruit had been dropped to our room - which was a nice touch.

Part of the Old Grounds appeal is the lovely public area, with interesting classic decor, art pieces, antiques and yummy squashy couches and chairs arranged really nicely in intimate groups.

The Old Ground hotel has 3 great places to eat (which we've tried at different times) - for more formal dining is the in house restaurant (where a lovely breakfast is also served)... for a relaxed and lively eating experience the bar - Poets Corner provides a great traditional Irish pub setting with a great bar menu - large portions and popular dishes mean the bar is almost always packed for food. If you want something a little more 'foody' the adjacent Town Hall restaurant (a repeat bridgestone winner)has a really bohemian feel with modern art and a very ecclectic menu, with gorgeous homemade dishes, including scrumptious fishcakes and homemade cakes and pastries... at night the atmosphere is very intimate and very cosy.

The Old Ground is next to the catherdral in Ennis and is pretty central so you can get everywhere on foot.

Beware though the free parking spaces are limited and getting a spot can be a little frustrating - not helped by the random methods of parking chosen by guests and patrons!

All the staff were absolutely lovely and very helpful and made our stay very enjoyable.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

We travelled around Ireland and were heading toward the Clffs of Moher, after hours of research on line I booked the OLD GROUND Hotel in Ennis. The hotel is located in the center of town, but was difficult to find. This is not a four star hotel. The rate I booked on line was not competitive, and the desk receptionist would not accomodate us since it was booked on line. We asked for a fan, which we never received. The noise from the streets made it impossible for my husband to sleep since it was toooo hot and we did not have relief and had to open the window. I recieved an email inquiring which restaurant we wanted to dine in, after responding, the restaurant I reserved was not available. We did have dinner in the TOWN HALL, and the staff was very nice and the food good. The hotel was the downside of our trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Bunratty Castle Hotel
Bunratty Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bunratty

Been to Old Ground Hotel? Share your experiences!