“Comfortable hotel with excellent food and service”
Review of The Old Ground

The Old Ground
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
uk
“Comfortable hotel with excellent food and service”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed one night and got a great rate: E62; we also opted to take breakfast for an additional E10 which again was excellent value.

The hotel is centrally situated in town and has country house hotel style.

Experience started very well with a warm and cheerful reception and a nice feel to the various residents' sitting areas. The room was small (only big enough for a double bed) as was the en-suite but was well furnished and OK for a one night stay. We had dinner in the restaurant which was very good and rounded off the evening in hotel's pub, listening to some traditional music.

The staff deserve a particular mention - from reception through housekeeping, bar and restaurant; they were without exception personable and professional.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We attended a wedding in The Old Ground recently, being just after Christmas we decided to stay for two nights. The delux room was booked online at a price of 109 euro room only per night. We arrived at 3 o clock and were checked in promptly. We were given room 314, on entering i detected a strange smell which seemed to disappear when the heating came on, the room was a good size as was the bathroom, however thats all the positives i can say about the room. The cover on the end of the bed was very badly stained, that was removed immediately, the bath and shower door was filthy. You could see the marks of the other occupants shampoo bottles etc on the corner of the bath and the gunge around the taps and shower door was disgusting! Tiles were broken and loose on the side of the bath and when lying in the bath(having been cleaned by myself first) you could see a build up of yet more gunge under the sink and shower head. Because we were attending friends wedding we didn't want to cause a stir so decided to shut up and put up. On the plus side the ground floor of the hotel is very nice with open fires and comfy couches, and i have to say the breakfast and food served at wedding was excellent. The very disappointing room did not stop us from enjoying our friends wedding immensely, however it would stop us from ever staying in The Old Ground again.

Room Tip: Ask to see room first.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sparrowchild
CORK
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a two night break on the 26th/27th Dec.On arrival we were greeted by the most helpful and cheery staff you could imagine,check in was a breeze taking no more than one minute.The room (201) was divine with a beautiful en-suite,excellent.As for the food it was just perfect with service to match,again the same can be said for breakfast with plenty of choice.All in all we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this Hotel to anyone young or old.

Room Tip: Ignore all other hotels just book this one...trust me.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank THOMAS C
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We had a family wedding in Ennis late November. From the efficient reservation people to the wonderful friendly and warm staff our weekend visit was superb. Great location, bar and restaurant. Highly recommended, we will be back.
quinner

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My family booked four rooms at the Old Ground in June 2011 and from start to finish our experience was terrific.

Upon arrival, the manager showed me a number of rooms and allowed me to choose the four I wanted for our party. Each room was unique both in terms of decor/design and also in amenities: one room had A/C, another had an oversized bathroom with heated towel bar, etc. The hotel occupies a HUGE footprint, and walking from one end to the other to get from place to place can take a while.

Breakfast was included in our rate, and was served in the front dining room - all was delicious and service was satisfactory. The overall ambiance of the hotel is old-world Irish charm, and the attached pub and restaurant add to this. The pub has great food and drinks, and we had an amazing dinner at the restaurant, Town Hall.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Every room has different amenities, so upon arrival be sure to ask to be shown a few rooms from whic...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I have been visiting Ennis in November and have always found the hotel and staff excellent.
However, due to a serious accident, I have unable to visit for four years as I am wheelchair bound. With the help of friends, I was determined to go this year.
We informed the hotel of my position and they catered for everything.
My room was fully adapted for disabled people and my nurse was given the room next door.
Our friend was given bedroom with a lounge where we could relax and eat whever we wanted to. When I was in the dining room the staff were always there to help transfer onto a chair and ensure I was comfortable.
I cannot thank the hotel and staff enough. Since 2007 the furthest I have travelled is 25 miles, so the whole trip was a big undertaking for me. All the help and respect I met with at
The Old Ground contributed to wonderful week end and I'll be back next year.

R Higham, 2 Belmont Place, Coppull, Lancs. E-mail "higham.robin@yahoo.co.uk.

Room Tip: Just tell the hotel what you require
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
co.mayo
Reviewed 28 November 2011

i have stayed here many times with my husband i really like this hotel but i do find it expensive nice rooms excellent location great food the last time stayed the hot water was off , i really didnt like the way they brushed it off also i found the rooms a touch cold but it still one of my favourite hotels.....enjoy

• Stayed June 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!