...which had nothing to do with the church, but the noise of the folks leaving the pub at 2am. We stayed here in late Aug 2012 on the last night of our great trip to Western Ireland; flew out of Shannon the next morning.
At first we thought "what an awesome room." It was a room with a round extension and seating area with a view of the Cathedral of Stes Peter and Paul (sorry we didn't remember the room number). We didn't realize that (a) it was right over the hotel/pub entrance to the parking lot along Station Road (and is where you actually get to the place, not via O'Connell Street - don't trust your GPS) and (b) there was no air conditioning. Normally in Ireland AC isn't a problem, except at 2am when your windows are open and you are awaken by drunks yelling as the spill out of the pub.
Our friend was in another wing of the hotel with a newer room. Not as big or nice, but quiet and cool.
Good stuff: The pub did have good food, but was very, very busy.
Staff were nice and helpful.
Location is good for getting to McConnell and other shopping streets.
Overall it was our least favorite hotel and city (also the largest) on our trip, but still not too bad considering everything else the week before was great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4* Old Ground Hotel is located in the centre of Ennis town, just 20 minutes from Shannon International Airport. With 83 newly refurbished deluxe rooms, a restaurant with superb cuisine, it is within easy reach of The Wild Atlantic Way, The Cliffs of Moher and magnificent and challenging links golf courses. The Old Ground Hotel is an elegant and stylish retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your The Old Ground reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Ground Hotel Ennis
- Old Ground Ennis
- The Old Ground Ennis, Ireland - County Clare