“Wish I could have stayed for a year!”
Review of Old Ground Hotel

Old Ground Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I spent three nights at the Old Ground Hotel, and it was magical. When we arrived after the 6am flight into Shannon, the bells of the cathedral next door were ringing. A delicious full Irish breakfast was waiting for us. The staff were incredibly welcoming and cheerful. The furnishings were very attractive and the sofas in the lobby so comfortable! I felt right at home the whole time. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Catherine B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My hubby and I got married in Ennis in September, and we stayed at the Old Ground on 3 different occasions in planning the wedding. All of our guests stayed at the Old Ground, and it could not have been more perfect! Everyone is so nice there and bent over backwards to make everything perfect for us. The rooms are spectacular, very comfortable and spacious. The lobby is a perfect meeting spot and place for people to gather and have a Guinness. The Poet's Corner is very fun and the food is great as well. We also had our rehearsal dinner upstairs, which couldn't have gone over better with our guests. The wedding contact, Phil, was just awesome. She even set up an excursion for our guests. By the time we left, I felt like we made 50 new friends in the staff. We are already looking forward to our next visit to the Old Ground!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This review of the hotel is based primarily on the last of two nights that I stayed in the hotel. I was really looking forward to staying at The Old Ground based on all the fantastic reviews posted here. Unfortunately my stay here did not live up to the expectations I had for this property especially in light of the expense of staying here. Maybe it was the luck of the room that was assigned to me. Maybe, if I had been staying elsewhere in the hotel my opinion would be different. But I can only rate the experience I did have in the room that I was given. I feel that one of the primary functions of a hotel is to provide for sleep. This was the problem, since on the second night of my stay the revelers from the pub continually flowed out to the front of the hotel. Combined with people coming into the hotel and the noise level was such that I was not able to fall asleep until after 3 AM. With an early flight out I got little to no sleep that night. When we spoke to the clerk at the front desk he told me that he tried to quiet the people in front as he had received other complaints. Whatever he did was not successful as the noise continued unabated. If I had to stay again at this hotel I would recommend that you do NOT get a room that overlooks the front of the hotel because, as in my case, the noise can be very loud. Secondly, parking is very limited at the hotel so be aware. On the positive side the room was clean and spacious.

Room Tip: Do not get a room that faces the front of the hotel, it can get very noisy!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
MaryGleeson, General Manager at Old Ground Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Guest from Walnut Creek,

we are alarmed to read that you were disturbed by noise during your recent visit. This matter will be the subject of a serious meeting with our management and night security team. Generally, the behaviour of our guests is very respectful and I am really sorry to hear that it was not the case during your visit. Perhaps it was the night that there was some extra exuberance when Clare won the All Ireland Hurling Title. Either way, I assure you that this matter will be taken very seriously and I am confident that this nature of disturbance will not happen in the future.
Once again, our apologies,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Really really enjoyed our stay this past weekend. Highly recommend. The hotel is located in an absolutely perfect location in the beautiful town of Ennis with plenty of complimentary car parking.

Our stay was very comfortable. The staff throughout the hotel are friendly, welcoming and very helpful - thank you to one and all. A really lovely stay.

I have eaten in this hotel previously but on this occasion did not do so with the exception of breakfast which, not surprisingly, was very good with lots of choice.

Our room was very spacious, clean and beds most comfortable.

From our very first contact with staff - at time of making initial booking - until the last person we spoke with before we left - exceptional - thank you to each and every one.

Carry on the great work - already look forward to a return visit

Room Tip: Highly recommend
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Spent the week-end at the Hotel and enjoyed the atmosphere and genuine
welcome.The situation of the Hotel is perfect for sightseeing and if you just
want to see Ennis all is within walking distance.Ennis has retained it's charm
and has some wonderful characters willing to share their knowledge of a the
area.

Room Tip: Our room was at the side overlooking the main carpark and it was all very quiet despite the Hotel b...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed one night but we wished it had been more. The room was very spacious and it had a super comfy bed! Not so great breakfast. Great location to walk around town. They also have a convenient car park.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

From booking our stay by telephone and arriving at reception the Staff were very helpful. One of the main features is the food in the pub area and Jeff is the unsung hero being able to seat people very quickly.
The hotel is in a perfect spot at the top of the main street of Ennis.
We will be back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Ask for room close to the lift; the walk with luggage can long.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Bunratty Castle Hotel
Bunratty Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bunratty

Been to Old Ground Hotel? Share your experiences!