“Beautiful Stay”
Review of The Old Ground

The Old Ground
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stopped off in Ennis midweek to catch the start of the local winter Trad Fest. Room was warm and cozy, bathroom basic facilities. Very popular bar attached to hotel so we decided to check it out and where not disappointed. Good value food with friendly service. By 10pm it was standing room only with no less than 11 musicians playing Trad music. Great location to walk and check out Ennis and at a great price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Old Ground

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my girlfriend. As you drive in you're welcomed by the sight of a beautiful old Country house mansion residence. On entering the reception area a big open fire is there to greet you along with excellent and friendly staff. Our room was spacious and lovely. We decided to have dinner in the bar section of the hotel, as bar food goes it was of a particularly high standard, I had a lovely duck liver pâté starter accompanied by Melba toast and t bone steak for main which was medium rare as I ordered it! My girlfriend had a pasta dish which she liked and a carrot cake for dessert, I was so full I could only manage an Irish coffee! But I ended up trying the carrot cake and it was delicious. It's funny I picked up a paper the next day and happened on a glowing review from paolo tulio about the old ground but it was about the restaurant in hotel (we ate in the bar), sadly we were leaving early the next day so didn't get to try the restaurant. Just as we were finishing up a live traditional irish music session started which was a real treat for my French girlfriend. After we sat out by fire, with some drinks. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It has such a nice old style feel to it.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just back from a weekend in the Old Ground with 3 of my best friends. The hotel exceeded expectations in every way but particularly the service and attentiveness of the staff. It was the best of hospitality that this country has to offer, right from check in. Our rooms were gorgeous, considerately right beside each other and of super quality even though I think we had the most advantageous rate of any other guests staying this weekend as we had booked last July.
We were a party of 9 on the Friday night as we were attending the world premiere of Dave Flynn's Clare Memory Orchastra's "The Clare Concerto" (get to see this if you can, it is truly magnificant!) and, as the bar was thronged with people, they very kindly accommodated us in the dining room for an early dinner. Sounds like good business sense and the obvious thing to do but many another hotel would have left us to fend for ourselves.
Breakfast is a joy and as other reviewers have highlighted, cooked to order. Their smoothies are divine!
This was a very busy weekend for the hotel as the Ennis Trad Festival was on but you got the feeling that your business was uniquely valued and nothing was a problem.
I can't give enough accolades to the reception, dining and service staff. They epitomize everything that is one should expect as the norm from any hotel.... welcoming, friendly, helpful, appreciative of your business etc but which is so often sadly lacking.
Take a bow Old Ground Team!

1  Thank AdieMc
Reviewed 9 November 2013

If you happened to find yourself in Ennis, the Old Ground is probably your best bet. The inn is old fashion, and a bit quirky - e..g lobby is a 3 adjacent living rooms, elevator does not stop on 3rd floor - so you have to lug your bag from 2nd to 3rd. The room is functional, but sparse, bathroom needs spruce up. It is not a Marriott, but it makes up with plenty of charm: staff are extra helpful, I called for ice, robe, extra tower, delivered within 5 mins. the breakfast is included in my room rate, and it is cooked to order. Definitely try the Eggs Benedict. The Townhall restaurant is very good - seating by 7pm gets your early bird special - 3 course meal for 23 euro - you cannot find a better deal. The Poets Corner pub is authentic, and great food. I enjoyed the 4 nights stay

Room Tip: pick a deluxe room - it is worth the extra money. also get the bed and breakfast rate, the breakfast...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Just back from a 1 night stay in this lovely hotel. Could only stay 1 night on this occasion, however totally enjoyed the experience and hopefully next stay will be longer. Check in was friendly. Room was excellent, all you could wish for. Spotless bathroom,with plenty of towels and soaps etc, Bedroom was generous sized, and queen size bed was very comfortable with controls on central heating, slim tv and coffee and tea making facilities. There was also a single bed in the room. We had a snack in the bar before heading off to meet friends and it was good. Returned sometime before midnight and there was traditional music in the bar which was nicely packed and the atmosphere was relaxing and enjoyable.Staff catered admirably with the large number of guestS for breakfast,which was excellent. Good choice of cooked breakfasts, which were cooked to order (unlike most hotels)with a very good selection of breads etc. Overall really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and hopefully next year we will stay for longer. My only small quibble is the car park Car park is quite large and we did manage to get a spot when we noticed a car leaving but it's quite chaotic and you get the impression that not all the cars belong to hotel guests.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Had a lovely time at the Old Ground Hotel Ennis last Saturday night. I was in the hotel for a class reunion and we enjoyed the lovely foyer earlier in the day, the town hall for dinner, followed by B&B. Everything was more than expected, good food, warm hotel and the staff were really lovely. Would highly recommend. I stayed on the 2nd floor overlooking the cathedral & experienced no noise whatsoever!

Room Tip: My small pink room was gorgeous.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We arrived in Ennis on the eve of the National Hurling Championship, when all of County Clare was exhilarated at being in the finals. So everything was very festive and the hotel was packed. Despite that, the staff at the front desk were exceedingly helpful and were able to get us a reservation in the restaurant that was not as formal as the white tablecloth one nor as casual as the pub. We selected the 3 course menu. My starter was a fish pate on toast with watercress and a fish fritter on a bed of greens. My husband had the roasted brie. Delicious and beautifully presented. I had the sea bass main dish and my husband had pork with a mushroom sauce. On the side, they served a bread tray with a tasty variety of breads, creamed potatoes that were wonderful, and fresh cooked broccoli, carrots and green beans. Although we were stuffed, we couldn't resist the desserts of creme caramel and pear almond tart. One of the best meals we had in Ireland! Our room was large and had a twin bed in addition to the queen size bed. Our included breakfast in the morning was ample and the staff catered to special requests.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darlene51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!