“An Old Manor House from 1800s, but updated”
Review of Old Ground Hotel

Old Ground Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Go for the cooked-to-order breakfast or an elegant dinner in the dining room. Friends had dinner in the bar/pub and said their meals were excellent, too. This is an old manor house that has been extended a few time to other buildings, so it can be tricky to find your room. The elevator is tiny and very slow so you may have to be patient.

My room was very old but clean and had everything I needed for my stay. Everyone in my group bragged about the comfortable beds, and I agree. There was free WIFI in my room and also an in-room safe. My room only had a shower and no tub, but I heard some rooms had both. If you have a preference you'll need to let them know.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ideally located right in the centre of Ennis town. It is a beautifully cosy hotel with lovely open fire in reception. Rooms are very comfy and clean . Staff are v helpful highly recommend this lovely spot

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I recently spent 2 nights and found this to be an excellent location for starting our west Ireland tour. The room was spacious and the common areas were all lovely. As we had nice weather, it was great to sit outside on their lawn/garden area in the early evening with a glass of wine. We recommend the restaurant for fine dining and breakfast was generous. The pub was a little noisy for us especially after a long day of travelling and touring.

We arrived from Shannon airport and took the city bus to Ennis (about 8 euros each). This was a very easy and inexpensive connection; the hotel is a short 5 minute walk from the bus station. The staff allowed us to check in to our room early which was a real bonus after a long flight from the US.

We enjoyed a nice city tour with Jane (?) who does a daily tour at 11 am for about 9 euros from the Temple Gate Hotel. She has a great personality for this and we thoroughly enjoyed it. For one of our days, we hired a private driver, Tony McGann (phone 353657074790) for 200 euros for a full day to drive us around the Burren and some surrounding areas. Pricey but very worthwhile as we did not want to the headache/hazards of driving ourselves. Tony was a great tour guide and we were able to sit back in his comfortable van and watch the scenery, visit some small towns, the Poulnabrone tomb, several Celtic graveyards, etc.

We also did the afternoon 3 hr hike through Burren Wild Tours. This was a highlight of our trip. The Burren is a fascinating wild area and our guide, David, a botanist, was awesome. My husband who is an avid hiker said the day was one of the "best of his life."

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights and while a tad expensive per night the hotel, staff and food proved good value. The room had a massive bed, two comfortable chairs with plenty of room for stuff. The common areas have nice furniture to sit in - the breakfasts and service was fantastic. We ate in the Town Hall restaurant one night - great selection from the menu and wine list. Parking is a bit scarce but we managed to find one not long after checkin. Overall very enjoyable and certainly worth a stay while in Ennis.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Traveling with my sister and brother-in-law, we stayed 2 nights in a triple room at the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis, County Clare. Ennis is a lovely old town and the Old Ground is perfectly situated to explore it, being only a short drive away from The Burren, Doolin, Cliffs of Moher, etc. The rooms in this hotel are very large, tastefully decorated, quiet. Parking, wifi and hair dryer provided free. Staff were efficient and friendly. Beds were large and very comfortable and bathroom was spacious and well equipped with a huge tub/shower and plenty of hot water. The hotel has a dining room, bar, and breakfast room along with several large, comfortable and elegantly furnished sitting areas off the lobby with windows looking out on the front garden. Breakfast was excellent with a selection of fruit/cereal/pastries/juice and also a menu of hot items including eggs, pancakes, full Irish, etc.; breakfast can be included in the room price or taken separately. The atmosphere and food in the bar/pub was excellent – with Trad music some nights. The menu is quite varied and dessert was amazing! Try the Banoffie pie!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My family and I stayed at the Old Ground on our first night of an Ireland adventure. We took the red eye from Chicago so landing at 5am in Dublin and driving straight to Ennis meant an extremely early check in. The staff was so accommodating and after enjoying a nice breakfast, our rooms were ready by 8:30am. After a long journey we were so appreciative! We all loved this hotel; the rooms were very large, there are plenty of common areas to hang out, the included breakfast was fantastic, parking was easy, great dinner at the hotel, and we really enjoyed the music at the pub! The staff was very helpful in planning our excursions to see the Cliffs and Bunratty. The only issue is that there aren't hair dryers in the room. We all agreed that this was our favorite hotel during our trip. If returning to Ennis, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights. The parking is conveniently located adjacent to the hotel but was difficult to find a spot come evening time. Being that it isn’t peak tourist season and the hotel was not fully booked when I was there in May, I could see that being quite an issue in the peak summer months.

Charming hotel, cozy lobby, nice staff. The Wi-Fi situation is terrible. I spoke to a woman who had been at the hotel for a week and said every day she had the same inconsistent Wi-Fi that would go out for many hours at a time. If you need to work while at this hotel or absolutely need to be connected, you probably want to book elsewhere. I needed access to email for work purposes and this was a huge drag. Every time it went out, I’d call the front desk, they’d reboot the router, and usually the internet would be restored within the hour, sometimes it would take several, making working impossible. If you are traveling on business, this is NOT the hotel for you.

I had a room on the 5th floor that claimed it was nonsmoking but it smelled like a musty former smoking room. I tried to air it out to no avail. Room was a little dated looking, with brown carpet pulling up from the floor in spots, peeling ceiling paint, etc. though the shower and bathroom were lovely.

The food at the attached Town Hall restaurant and the Old Poet pub was great. Usually I never eat at the hotel but made an exception in this case since the food was well done. Breakfast was included and also very nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MaryGleeson, General Manager at Old Ground Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest

We appreciate that you took the time to give some very constructive feedback. I assure you that we totally understand how important good wifi is for both leisure and business visitors and this matter has now been addressed. We have reviewed with our team the other issues that you had mentioned and we are committed to ensuring that we continue to provide an excellent service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Temple Gate Hotel
Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Old Ground Hotel? Share your experiences!