“Charming, comfy, and well-situated”
Review of The Old Ground

The Old Ground
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
New York City, New York
“Charming, comfy, and well-situated”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Ennis was a last minute decision. Having spent a little over 24 hours on the Dingle Peninsula, I decided to get a head start on my journey to the Cliffs of Moher, so I left Dingle in the late afternoon, drove up to the Shannon River ferry, and crossed into County Clare. Ennis seemed to be the place to stay, so I headed there. Tripadvisor reviews looked good, so I inquired at The Old Ground. The front desk folks were friendly and charming, and the deal reasonable (80 Euros for b&b). The room was comfortable (nothing too special) and quiet. The bed was great and the internet fast. I had dinner in The Town Hall, which was fabulous (if slightly expensive). The hotel is right in the town center, so it was nice to be able to park the car and walk around to explore (though not too much to see in Ennis). I completely enjoyed my evening at The Old Ground and the drive to the Cliffs the following morning was quick and painless. I spent a couple of hours there and another couple driving through the Burren before heading to Galway for the next couple of days.

Room Tip: The back side was quiet, but I sort of wish I had a view of the church across the street (though I s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We arrived at the Old Ground after driving from Galway. We did have a bit of a challenge finding the hotel, but with GPS it was fine. Located on the narrow main street, it is very centrally located. The rooms were immaculate, and service is excellent. There is a lift, but it can be hard to negotiate the hallways if you have large bags. We had dinner 2 nights in their Poet's Corner pub, and it was very enjoyable. The 3 dining options are great, and breakfast is wonderful, served in their formal dining room. We used this Ennis location to explore the Cliffs of Moher, and found it to be useful, as we were then headed to Killarney. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Watch for their one-week sale offer (this year in January). They offer great rates at this sale.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Center Moriches, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent two nights here for the Fleadh and were very happy with the location and staff. Beautiful, old manor house with several, large sitting rooms off the lobby. Exudes welcome and comfort. A couple of traditional sessions were held right in the hotel during our stay, a lovely bonus.

Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Go for the cooked-to-order breakfast or an elegant dinner in the dining room. Friends had dinner in the bar/pub and said their meals were excellent, too. This is an old manor house that has been extended a few time to other buildings, so it can be tricky to find your room. The elevator is tiny and very slow so you may have to be patient.

My room was very old but clean and had everything I needed for my stay. Everyone in my group bragged about the comfortable beds, and I agree. There was free WIFI in my room and also an in-room safe. My room only had a shower and no tub, but I heard some rooms had both. If you have a preference you'll need to let them know.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Bray, Ireland
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ideally located right in the centre of Ennis town. It is a beautifully cosy hotel with lovely open fire in reception. Rooms are very comfy and clean . Staff are v helpful highly recommend this lovely spot

• Stayed March 2014
Central Coast
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I recently spent 2 nights and found this to be an excellent location for starting our west Ireland tour. The room was spacious and the common areas were all lovely. As we had nice weather, it was great to sit outside on their lawn/garden area in the early evening with a glass of wine. We recommend the restaurant for fine dining and breakfast was generous. The pub was a little noisy for us especially after a long day of travelling and touring.

We arrived from Shannon airport and took the city bus to Ennis (about 8 euros each). This was a very easy and inexpensive connection; the hotel is a short 5 minute walk from the bus station. The staff allowed us to check in to our room early which was a real bonus after a long flight from the US.

We enjoyed a nice city tour with Jane (?) who does a daily tour at 11 am for about 9 euros from the Temple Gate Hotel. She has a great personality for this and we thoroughly enjoyed it. For one of our days, we hired a private driver, Tony McGann (phone 353657074790) for 200 euros for a full day to drive us around the Burren and some surrounding areas. Pricey but very worthwhile as we did not want to the headache/hazards of driving ourselves. Tony was a great tour guide and we were able to sit back in his comfortable van and watch the scenery, visit some small towns, the Poulnabrone tomb, several Celtic graveyards, etc.

We also did the afternoon 3 hr hike through Burren Wild Tours. This was a highlight of our trip. The Burren is a fascinating wild area and our guide, David, a botanist, was awesome. My husband who is an avid hiker said the day was one of the "best of his life."

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights and while a tad expensive per night the hotel, staff and food proved good value. The room had a massive bed, two comfortable chairs with plenty of room for stuff. The common areas have nice furniture to sit in - the breakfasts and service was fantastic. We ate in the Town Hall restaurant one night - great selection from the menu and wine list. Parking is a bit scarce but we managed to find one not long after checkin. Overall very enjoyable and certainly worth a stay while in Ennis.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!