“Spoiled in Ennis”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
atlanta
“Spoiled in Ennis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Having booked this room months ago with only recommendations from Trip Advisor and travel books, I was curious as to what the facility would be like. It was AMAZING!!! Beginning from the courtesy at the front desk to the newly remodeled suite we had. We were right in the town that allowed us to walk around and enjoy the local pubs. (Brogans) as well as drive to the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin and the Burren. We spent 2 nights there. Breakfast was wonderful as well.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for the suite on the second floor.
3 Thank queenofheartsAtlanta
MaryGleeson, General Manager at The Old Ground, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Queen of Hearts from Atlanta,

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback and the lovely photos of our new suite. Can you believe that these are the first every photos of this newly decorated room?

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and hope the rest of your holiday went well.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future,

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

So we get here the place is packed our luggage gets broken and our room is FILTHY!!! We told them we wanted a king size bed we get a full size and a twin! Speak to the manager on duty and he says he will have them deep clean the room and push the beds together, meanwhile diner was on them in the fancy restaurant while this was being done. Went out after we ate came back to the room hours later to find nothing touched. We had to move the furniture ourselves and the room was still dirty! I will say to good was beautiful the hotel I wouldn't wNt my worse enemy to stay in! Not worth the money and did nothing to the luggage except break it more! I was told they wod fix it! First trip it was ever used and is now the last one thanks for the waste of our time and money!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Karen S
Dear Karen

Our team were hugely disappointed to read your review - we were absolutely not responsible for any damage to your case - handles do fall off. We were shocked at the suggestion that the room was not clean - so the manager went above and beyond the call of duty by offering you complimentary dinner worth Euro 70. Of course, we checked the room immediately but could not figure out what your issue was - the room has been used regularly before and since then by very satisfied customers.
Missouri City, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Having returned from a wonderful land tour of Ireland I still find myself remembering the wonderful 2 nights my husband and I spent at the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis, Ireland. The hotel rooms are on several levels. We were fortunate to have a room on the ground floor. Upon entering the room I noticed a simple elegance in the soft palate of colors and the large room. There was a separate "dressing table" for hair and make-up. There was enough lighting for applying makeup. Not all hotels have this feature. There were 2 guest chairs with a table between. The bed was a queen size with a separate single bed. The bed had a memory foam topper, which made for a very comfortable nights sleep. There was a large TV hung on the wall for easy viewing. And there was a safe in the closet which was very helpful.

The breakfast was outstanding. I have never had better scones. They were dense, yet would melt in your mouth, yum! We also had an evening meal which was outstanding. I had the salmon and my husband had the beef. Neither of us were dissapointed.

The bar area is very quaint with wooden carvings and a lot of historical paintings. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings there is entertainment in the bar.
The staff is very helpful and the reception is more like a living room to welcome all.

1 Thank Purplelady6
Dear Purple lady from Texas,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and choose to share your feedback. We have for many years been so popular with American guests who also enjoy our wonderful local scenery, the Cliffs of Moher and of course now the Wild Atlantic Way is easy to reach from our property.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday,

Best regards
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Ennis was a last minute decision. Having spent a little over 24 hours on the Dingle Peninsula, I decided to get a head start on my journey to the Cliffs of Moher, so I left Dingle in the late afternoon, drove up to the Shannon River ferry, and crossed into County Clare. Ennis seemed to be the place to stay, so I headed there. Tripadvisor reviews looked good, so I inquired at The Old Ground. The front desk folks were friendly and charming, and the deal reasonable (80 Euros for b&b). The room was comfortable (nothing too special) and quiet. The bed was great and the internet fast. I had dinner in The Town Hall, which was fabulous (if slightly expensive). The hotel is right in the town center, so it was nice to be able to park the car and walk around to explore (though not too much to see in Ennis). I completely enjoyed my evening at The Old Ground and the drive to the Cliffs the following morning was quick and painless. I spent a couple of hours there and another couple driving through the Burren before heading to Galway for the next couple of days.

Room Tip: The back side was quiet, but I sort of wish I had a view of the church across the street (though I s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Birmingham, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We arrived at the Old Ground after driving from Galway. We did have a bit of a challenge finding the hotel, but with GPS it was fine. Located on the narrow main street, it is very centrally located. The rooms were immaculate, and service is excellent. There is a lift, but it can be hard to negotiate the hallways if you have large bags. We had dinner 2 nights in their Poet's Corner pub, and it was very enjoyable. The 3 dining options are great, and breakfast is wonderful, served in their formal dining room. We used this Ennis location to explore the Cliffs of Moher, and found it to be useful, as we were then headed to Killarney. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Watch for their one-week sale offer (this year in January). They offer great rates at this sale.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Center Moriches, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent two nights here for the Fleadh and were very happy with the location and staff. Beautiful, old manor house with several, large sitting rooms off the lobby. Exudes welcome and comfort. A couple of traditional sessions were held right in the hotel during our stay, a lovely bonus.

Decatur, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Go for the cooked-to-order breakfast or an elegant dinner in the dining room. Friends had dinner in the bar/pub and said their meals were excellent, too. This is an old manor house that has been extended a few time to other buildings, so it can be tricky to find your room. The elevator is tiny and very slow so you may have to be patient.

My room was very old but clean and had everything I needed for my stay. Everyone in my group bragged about the comfortable beds, and I agree. There was free WIFI in my room and also an in-room safe. My room only had a shower and no tub, but I heard some rooms had both. If you have a preference you'll need to let them know.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,069 reviews

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!