“Upper storey closed”

Achmore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Upper storey closed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I found the museum to be very interesting and my learned Irish friend was able to fill me in on more details on the local history described in the museum. However we were both disappointed that the upper half of the museum was closed to the public due to staff being on holiday,etc. We both thought this was a pretty poor show at the height of the tourist season in mid-August .Maybe they should take on volunteers again to keep the whole show going all year round!

Visited August 2013
ClareMuseum, Manager at The Clare Museum, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear achmore t,

Thank you for taking the time to review Clare Museum on Tripadvisor.

I regret that you found one of the floors of the museum closed when you came to visit during the summer and I would be happy to provide an explanation. Clare Museum is a public service run facility and since the start of the recession in Ireland staffing at the museum has been impacted by the government embargo on recruitment. As one half of the staff was on holiday we had no option but to close one of our two floors for security and health and safety reasons.

The museum has experimented with volunteers and will continue to do so in the future. However, the use of volunteers will not be a panacea for floor closures, as legally they cannot replace paid staff even when they are on holiday. Happily, there has been some improvement in the situation recently and an additional staff member has been redeployed from elsewhere in the county council. While we remain below our ideal staff compliment, floor closures are likely to be a less frequent occurrence in the future.

Should you choose to visit the museum again please ask for me. I would be happy to show some of the riches of the floor you were unable to see on your recent visit and I am sure you would find it an enjoyable experience.

Regards,
John Rattigan,
Curator

Malta
196 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Open on Saturday afternoon??”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Tried to visit on 14th September at around 3pm. On their website they claim to be open on Saturday afternoons, on their entrance door it said Saturdays was till 1pm. Why the confusing information? Was it a bank holiday we were not aware of? We visited based on the raving reviews on tripadvisor but sadly cannot add to them.

Visited September 2013
ClareMuseum, Manager at The Clare Museum, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Tony M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about Clare Museum on Tripadvisor and I regret you did not get to visit the museum, especially as you had read so many positive reviews of our exhibitions.

Clare Museum was open to the public as per the posted hours on Saturday, 14 September. The only explanation I can provide for the problem you encountered is that perhaps you attempted to enter the museum from a secondary entrance which leads directly into the tourist office and would have been locked at 3pm. It is in effect the main entrance to the Tourist Office, though entry to the museum galleries can be gained from here also. These doors are on the opposite side of the building to the museum's primary entrance.

While the opening hours of the tourist office are displayed on their door and are clearly marked as referring to the tourist office closing at 1pm, I notice there is no information at present regarding how to enter the museum on Saturday afternoons when they are closed. I sincerely regret this oversight.

I hope that if you choose to visit Ennis again that you will contact me at the museum. I would be happy to give you a personal tour of our exhibition so as you can see why the museum has received so many positive reviews on Tripadvisor. I am confident that you would then feel in a position to add to them.

Regards,

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Small but informative”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

This museum was smaller than we expected although it is over two floors. There are good displays and informative posters and the ladies in the shop/tourist information were very friendly and helpful. We had an enjoyable morning.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank fansofclare
Ennis, Ireland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Brilliant to go & Free!..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Brilliant place to go..if you have a few hours to spare.. Free to go in and look at the history of Co. Clare

Visited January 2013
1 Thank fifi197142
Visalia, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

This is a "must see" for those who hunger for the history of Ireland and County Clare, specifically. The exhibits are well-done and give one a marvelous perspective on things Irish. A bonus is that there is NO admission charge!

Visited August 2013