“Really Enjoyable”
Review of The Clare Museum

The Clare Museum
Ranked #4 of 39 things to do in Ennis
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was staying in the hotel across from it or wouldn't have known about it, but had a wonderful time looking at everything and reading everything. There wasn't a fee and although small, it was an informative stop for some Irish history. I love Ireland and never wanted to leave and come back here. I suggest going to this museum while you are out and about looking through the shops and going to other attractions.

1  Thank CrabbyCat

Reviewed 31 December 2013

One could pass most of the day in this museum. I could visit it many times, yet each time there seems to be something i missed last time. Very interested in the letters sent from America by 2 sisters to their family in Clare.

1  Thank sageladyOmagh
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is a sweet little museum located in the visitor centre - it's worth a visit to the visitor centre just to chat with the lovely ladies that work there. The museum is interesting but you can get through it pretty quick so don't plan on spending the day there.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Small but user-friendly local museum. It is free and great for rainy times. Some very interesting exhibits. Do not expect world-class art or high-tech exhibits and you will be well pleased

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I found the museum to be very interesting and my learned Irish friend was able to fill me in on more details on the local history described in the museum. However we were both disappointed that the upper half of the museum was closed to the public due to staff being on holiday,etc. We both thought this was a pretty poor show at the height of the tourist season in mid-August .Maybe they should take on volunteers again to keep the whole show going all year round!

ClareMuseum, Manager at The Clare Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear achmore t,

Thank you for taking the time to review Clare Museum on Tripadvisor.

I regret that you found one of the floors of the museum closed when you came to visit during the summer and I would be happy to provide an explanation. Clare Museum is a public service run facility and since the start of the recession in Ireland staffing at the museum has been impacted by the government embargo on recruitment. As one half of the staff was on holiday we had no option but to close one of our two floors for security and health and safety reasons.

The museum has experimented with volunteers and will continue to do so in the future. However, the use of volunteers will not be a panacea for floor closures, as legally they cannot replace paid staff even when they are on holiday. Happily, there has been some improvement in the situation recently and an additional staff member has been redeployed from elsewhere in the county council. While we remain below our ideal staff compliment, floor closures are likely to be a less frequent occurrence in the future.

Should you choose to visit the museum again please ask for me. I would be happy to show some of the riches of the floor you were unable to see on your recent visit and I am sure you would find it an enjoyable experience.

Regards,