“Outdated Hotel”
Review of Temple Gate Hotel

Temple Gate Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 25 July 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night before our flight back to the states. The staff was friendly and helpful but this hotel is need of major rennovation. The carpets are stained and the rooms reek the smell of a nursing home. Also there is no air conditioning.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2009

I regret to note that your stay at the hotel did not meet with expectations. The hotel underwent extensive refurbishment during 2008, results of which I hope you will have viewed on the ground floor. While many of the bedrooms also underwent refurbishment, some bedrooms are awaiting the next phase of refurbishment. I am happy however to read that you were greeted by friendly staff during your visit.
I hope you will grant us the opportunity to renew your faith in Temple Gate Hotel.

Reviewed 24 July 2009

I stayed at the Temple Gate because of the great reviews I read here, so I feel obligated to write this review.

If you scroll back through the reviews you will see one that asks "are there two Temple Gate Hotels in Ennis?", because most of the reviews are so glowing! I had such high expectations --the photo's and write ups at their website look fantastic--this was my husband's last night on what had been a magical vacation--everywhere we stayed was enchanting--Temple Gate was to be the perfect ending. But this was the absolute worst place I have ever-ever-ever stayed! When I got home I had an email from Temple Gate encouraging me to come again, and here is part of what I wrote back.

"You must be kidding. My stay there was gross. The room was absolutely disgusting, and nothing like what was advertised on the internet. The "sofa bed" was revolting, with actual holes in the mattress with stuff coming out!, and stickers on the sheets! I spoke with the desk attendant--all he could say was "I don't know" to anything I asked him. As it was too late for us to find anything else we were stuck there. I didn't even open my suitcase as the place was so gross. The carpet was stained and none of us would walk on it with bare feet. I took off my blouse and shorts and hung them on the handle of my suitcase so as not to touch anything. I layed on the bare sheet and woke up 4 hours later, put my feet from the bed to my shoes, put on my clothes and left. I wouldn't even let my kids shower or do anything but brush their teeth. I dropped my husband at the airport and drove 3 1/2 hours straight to a hotel in Dublin to take a shower."

To their credit, I did get an email response from the hotel and the manager did call me. She checked out my complaints and found them to be correct. She had the disgusting sofa sleeper removed and the carpets scheduled to be cleaned. But the room was absolutely nothing like their website portrayed and this deception really bothered me. She said that the hotel was being remodeled and I had been put in the old side, and agreed that the website should be corrected, she said she would take care of that immediately. She also refunded me, which was only right.

Here's my problem. I am back on Trip Advisor planning another trip. I just went to Temple Gate's website as it has been a full month since my stay, and here is what it now says.

"All the bedrooms have been beautifully decorated and include the full range of modern facilities for convenience and comfort.
For either business or pleasure all our rooms offer exceptional comfort and facilities including: . . ."

I was told that they would start remodeling that wing in September 2009.

So, if you are thinking of staying at the Temple Gate, be sure you verify by phone that you are in the new wing. The old wing is vile and I can not stress that enough.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Texirish
Reviewed 21 July 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Temple Gate and enjoyed the stay very much. The rooms were very clean, facilities were updated and clean and the staff were very cordial. We enjoyed Ennis greatly for shopping and a good starting point for visiting the sites surrounding the city.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2009

Thank you for your kind comments regarding both the facilities and staff at Temple Gate Hotel. I agree that the hotel is an ideal base when discovering the interesting sites surrounding Ennis and County Clare.Our proximity to Shannon Airport also makes it the perfect stopover for those of you travelling from the U.S.A.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel.

Kind regards and thanks

Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed for two nights and liked this hotel. Location is excellent right in the heart of town. Staff were very friendly. Breakfast was decent. I also ate in the bar on one evening and it was fine. Room was clean and comfortable. Rates were reasonable too so I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am happy to note that you had a pleasant stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2009

Room was very drab and overlooked an area with discarded rubbish and cigarettes. However no mention was made on check in about room location and we did not get a discount. I was told on check out that we are in the town!! Customer service needs to be installed here. Food in the bar was abysmal, omelletes advertised as fluffy were like leather and this was at a quiet period. Breakfast was ok apart from minimum buffet.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2009

I regret to note your comments and it is unfortunate that your most recent stay at the hotel did not meet your expectations. We welcome feedback, positive and negative, believing we can learn and develop from guest comments. I acknowledge that there is some work for us to do in order to restore your confidence in the hotel and I hope you will grant us an opportunity to renew your faith in Temple Gate Hotel.
Siobhán Hassett
Sales & Marketing Manager.

Reviewed 22 June 2009

This hotel is ideally located in the centre of Ennis town. We stayed one night to celebrate my Fiance's birthday. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful throughout our stay
We ate in Legends restaurant which was an outstanding meal. The starter, main course and dessert were delicious and very reasonably priced. The hotel on reservation had organised a surprise birthday plate in Legends restaurant for my Fiance which was very nice and added to the ocassion. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Temple Gate and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2009

On behalf of the Managment and staff at Temple Gate Hotel , I am delighted that you and your fiancé enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If you have not decided on a venue for your wedding,perhaps you will contact us. The Great Hall at Temple Gate is a unique wedding venue and would provide the perfect location for your special day!
Kind regards and thank you

Reviewed 11 June 2009

Just shows dosent it, cause i worked there 3 years ago they charged me more than any old joe or in this case " mstrasburger " and i spent €1400 on food and drink . and still had to pay for the room, priceless! didnt fight it though the food was good and the great hall is fab to have a wedding party in.

The hotel however is ideal in its location - the staff do try to meet your needs - the rates are steep - they have to quote rack rate first and maybe then the offers- try the internet first a good site is goireland and centralR you get the best rates on these sites, just type them into google.

as hotels in ennis go its one of the better ones and had been refurbished great hall - lobby and some rooms made in to executive suits. the executive suites are not as nice as the standard rooms in the "D" hotel up past dublin .

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Old Ground Hotel
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Temple Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!