“Irish welcome is alive and well in The Temple Gate Hotel , Ennis”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Temple Gate Hotel

Temple Gate Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
dublin 12
“Irish welcome is alive and well in The Temple Gate Hotel , Ennis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

The traditional Irish welcome is alive and well in this hotel.Beautifully decorated Particular thanks to Partick, Magda and Yan who looked after us. Perfectly placed , just off the main street and the staff were very genuine.Our every need was catered for - Restaurant closes at 9.30 but no problem they served us up a magnificent dinner and no rush or complaints. Best meal i have had in a long time - duck was delicious. Suprised with me a cake for my Birthday . Perfectly located for the lovely town of Ennis which is bustling. 40 mins drive to Cliffs of Mohar and 50 minutes to Doolin - Had such a wonderful stay i cannot praise the staff highly enough.Will definately be returning and as I an Irish person very proud to recommend this hotel . Fantastic value for money. Huge Thank you to all - Joe & Eliz Dublin 12

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Temple Gate Hotel. Thank you for your comments on your dining experience.Legends Restaurant has received an AA Rosette award each year since the hotel opened in 1996. Your comments have been shared and very much appreciated by staff at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel in the near future and please avail of our "Past Guest" promotional offers.
Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Templegate hotel in Ennis for one night in June on room only basis. We had a problem with the room after arrival - the heating was on even though the main heating in hotel was off ! They immeditately moved us to another room so this was ok. We took a standard room as we were only staying for one night and it was fine. Bed was comfortable and room clean. The bar is nice - very unusual as its is in old church building. Seating though is not very comfortable.

We had a walk around Ennis and I have to say I felt very uncomfortable. I did not feel safe and went back to the hotel quickly. Streets were deserted with a few undesirables around. Being from Dublin I would be aware of areas not to venture and I am sorry to say Ennis is one place I would not rush back to .

The hotel is fine, good location and helpful staff but the town does not appeal to me. Ok for a one night stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2009
Thank you for taking time to post your comments. I am happy to note that you had a pleasant stay at Temple Gate Hotel. The hotel, family owned and managed, is steeped in history and was once the location of a Convent of Mercy. Tthe history is most evident in the Great Hall with its stained glassed windows and vaulted ceilings.
It is unfortunate that you did not have a good experience of Ennis town . I hope and believe such an experience is quite isolated as Ennis is a popular leisure destination however it is a pity that you did not have a pleasant visit to the town.If you decide to visit again we would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel and we do offer special rates for past guests.
lexington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night before our flight back to the states. The staff was friendly and helpful but this hotel is need of major rennovation. The carpets are stained and the rooms reek the smell of a nursing home. Also there is no air conditioning.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2009
I regret to note that your stay at the hotel did not meet with expectations. The hotel underwent extensive refurbishment during 2008, results of which I hope you will have viewed on the ground floor. While many of the bedrooms also underwent refurbishment, some bedrooms are awaiting the next phase of refurbishment. I am happy however to read that you were greeted by friendly staff during your visit.
I hope you will grant us the opportunity to renew your faith in Temple Gate Hotel.
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

I stayed at the Temple Gate because of the great reviews I read here, so I feel obligated to write this review.

If you scroll back through the reviews you will see one that asks "are there two Temple Gate Hotels in Ennis?", because most of the reviews are so glowing! I had such high expectations --the photo's and write ups at their website look fantastic--this was my husband's last night on what had been a magical vacation--everywhere we stayed was enchanting--Temple Gate was to be the perfect ending. But this was the absolute worst place I have ever-ever-ever stayed! When I got home I had an email from Temple Gate encouraging me to come again, and here is part of what I wrote back.

"You must be kidding. My stay there was gross. The room was absolutely disgusting, and nothing like what was advertised on the internet. The "sofa bed" was revolting, with actual holes in the mattress with stuff coming out!, and stickers on the sheets! I spoke with the desk attendant--all he could say was "I don't know" to anything I asked him. As it was too late for us to find anything else we were stuck there. I didn't even open my suitcase as the place was so gross. The carpet was stained and none of us would walk on it with bare feet. I took off my blouse and shorts and hung them on the handle of my suitcase so as not to touch anything. I layed on the bare sheet and woke up 4 hours later, put my feet from the bed to my shoes, put on my clothes and left. I wouldn't even let my kids shower or do anything but brush their teeth. I dropped my husband at the airport and drove 3 1/2 hours straight to a hotel in Dublin to take a shower."

To their credit, I did get an email response from the hotel and the manager did call me. She checked out my complaints and found them to be correct. She had the disgusting sofa sleeper removed and the carpets scheduled to be cleaned. But the room was absolutely nothing like their website portrayed and this deception really bothered me. She said that the hotel was being remodeled and I had been put in the old side, and agreed that the website should be corrected, she said she would take care of that immediately. She also refunded me, which was only right.

Here's my problem. I am back on Trip Advisor planning another trip. I just went to Temple Gate's website as it has been a full month since my stay, and here is what it now says.

"All the bedrooms have been beautifully decorated and include the full range of modern facilities for convenience and comfort.
For either business or pleasure all our rooms offer exceptional comfort and facilities including: . . ."

I was told that they would start remodeling that wing in September 2009.

So, if you are thinking of staying at the Temple Gate, be sure you verify by phone that you are in the new wing. The old wing is vile and I can not stress that enough.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Texirish
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Temple Gate and enjoyed the stay very much. The rooms were very clean, facilities were updated and clean and the staff were very cordial. We enjoyed Ennis greatly for shopping and a good starting point for visiting the sites surrounding the city.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2009
Thank you for your kind comments regarding both the facilities and staff at Temple Gate Hotel. I agree that the hotel is an ideal base when discovering the interesting sites surrounding Ennis and County Clare.Our proximity to Shannon Airport also makes it the perfect stopover for those of you travelling from the U.S.A.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel.

Kind regards and thanks
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed for two nights and liked this hotel. Location is excellent right in the heart of town. Staff were very friendly. Breakfast was decent. I also ate in the bar on one evening and it was fine. Room was clean and comfortable. Rates were reasonable too so I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am happy to note that you had a pleasant stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel in the near future.

windsor
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

Room was very drab and overlooked an area with discarded rubbish and cigarettes. However no mention was made on check in about room location and we did not get a discount. I was told on check out that we are in the town!! Customer service needs to be installed here. Food in the bar was abysmal, omelletes advertised as fluffy were like leather and this was at a quiet period. Breakfast was ok apart from minimum buffet.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2009
I regret to note your comments and it is unfortunate that your most recent stay at the hotel did not meet your expectations. We welcome feedback, positive and negative, believing we can learn and develop from guest comments. I acknowledge that there is some work for us to do in order to restore your confidence in the hotel and I hope you will grant us an opportunity to renew your faith in Temple Gate Hotel.
Siobhán Hassett
Sales & Marketing Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
The Old Ground
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,069 reviews

Been to Temple Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!