“Better than expected”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
London, UK
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

From reading the reviews on here after booking I was really worried about where I'd end up but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is a little tired in some areas but maybe I got lucky because my room was lovely (except for the view which was of the illuminated German supermarket sign nextdoor!). I was pleased with the quality for the price.

The restaurant food was very good at both breakfast and dinner and the drinks at the bar were mega cheap (always a bonus!).

It's a little out of the way so I probably wouldn't stay again, but for the price I couldn't fault it!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
IrelandICH, Manager at Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thanks for the review. It is great to hear the positive feedback from clients. The Auburn Lodge Hotel is constantly improving the quality and service provided in all areas.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

Auburn Lodge is homely, friendly and great value for money. This was my second visit for the Ennis Bookclub Festival and I will certainly stay here again. I had a good sized, comfortable room with a large bathroom where the water was always very, very hot - unlike some hotels. The hotel is old and perhaps a little faded but spotlessly clean. However the most endearing thing about it is the remarkably friendly and helpful staff. Well done Auburn Lodge. You are a wonderful example of Irish hospitality at its best. M. O'Malley, Cork

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Thanks for the review. It is great to hear the positive feedback from our return clients. The Auburn Lodge Hotel endeavours to make all customers to have an enjoyable stay.
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel at the weekend, and had a great time, the staff were very friendly, the receptionist was very professional and very helpful. The room was very spacious and clean, We ate dinner in the bar and the food was lovely, breakfast was also very good and the restaurant staff were very pleasant and very accomadating. I would definately stay there again, and found it great value for money. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review. It is great to hear the positive feedback from clients. Come and enjoy your own experience while staying at the Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

I found this hotel on http://www.hoteldealsireland.ie/, the package I thought was very good for €125pps, it included 2 nights B&B, Dinner & one 30 minute spa treatment. The package was called the Romance package. Upon arriving at the hotel on saturday we were greated by 3 unprofessional & slightly immature receptionists who seemed to find it strange that my partner was a woman?! After this insightly conversation we were given our room & set off from the misleading reception to the twilight zone that was our room. Upon entering the room which was just off a grubby corridor, we were smothered by the stench of stale smoke & dust. I immediately opened the window & took a look around me. The carpets & duvet were stained. The bathroom was like something out of a seedy love affair motel room! I called reception to complain, I asked why we'd been put into a smoking room when I specifically requested a non-smoking room. The receptionist apologised but said 'ya I know but they still smoke in the rooms anyway!' Is this not illegal????
We were then moved to a similar room up the corridor which was equally as bad! We decided to make the most of it as we hadn't had a weekend break in about a year. It turned out id left something in the other room so we went back up to get it. On entering the previous room it seemed the receptionist had sprayed an air freshener!! How misleading. God love the guest who got that room next!!!
I had planned a nice relaxing weekend & was looking forward to enjoying being out of the chaos of Dublin, relaxing in the countryside. I was looking forward to the spa & relaxing in a nice hot bath. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been updated since the 70's. So clearly I wast going to attempt a bath. I waited for my spa appointment to 'Relax'.. My apt. was first so my partner waited outside for me. I spoke to the therapist for a few minutes and she asked me to sign a form. She asked me was I having the facial, I said yes. She then said 'and himself is having the massage' I said 'She'. She said 'Oh right ya' (No apology!!!) She seemed a bit confused & repeated herself again ' and he's having the massage?' Seething by this stage i said 'She's a girl, her name is*******' still confused she said to me ' Oh the receptionist said you were a couple?' OMG does this girl not know about Gay couples or what!!!! So I said' Ya we are?!' she said 'Oh thats grand so, you can pretend you're getting married!!!' and laughed!! I said ' We are' and she was like oh great!!! Seriously backward this girl! What made it worse was that when she went outside while i got ready for my treatment, she went & relayed the whole think to the leisure center receptionist!! My partner heard the whole thing! That girl ought to be ashamed of herself. I'm glad she was mortified, so would I be if I was that Ignorant & rude & I hope she realises when she reads this!
The only two nice people we encountered on the whole trip was the waiter in the bar & the receptionist on our departure. Geez was like taking a step into the past that place!!

PLEASE don't waste your money on this place as it is clearly not romantic. I just wish I had checked trip advisor the day I was booking as I missed the previous two complaints!!!

Pictures to follow people!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Julie_stimpson

Travellers are raving about these Ennis hotels

French in Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

Pros: staff is pro, kind and polite. Breakie wasnt bad. Spa facilitty. Swimming pool.
Cons: Rooms are smelly (smoke, dirt, old) and not clean (stained carpets throughout the halls and rooms), i found a child's wool glove in a corner when looking for my sock, it was so dusty and hairy it made me gag... 2.5euro for a swim hat - rip off Ireland when you hold me tight!
Super noisy rooms, back breaker beds

If you have no choice, stay there, it is ok but not great, i am sorry i brought mi girlfriend there

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kitingchristy
The Auburn Lodge Hotel will continue to upgrade and improve service and standard in the bedrooms and all other areas within the hotel. Any error or problem which occurs at the hotel are taken care of immediately and noted so the same does not happen again in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

Stayed here with my husband and young baby, room was very small, bathroom was filthy, really dirthy, grout on walls had mould. It looks nothing like on website, well the room we got did not.
We went up to bar to get menu and have a drink, every glass I got was dirty. Food was average.
So dissapointed with this hotel, would NOT recconmend it

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank orlamc69
La Paz, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

I was one of hundreds travellers who were diverted to Shannon, Ireland on Dec 18th due to large snow falls. My flight was from Mexico City to Heathrow. We were placed in the Auburn Lodge Hotel in Ennis. This hotel was fantastic. Excellent staff, great food & comfortable rooms. The hotel only knew 1 hour before we arrived that we were arriving. Within 1 hour of getting our rooms we had a first class dinner served. This facility knows the meaning of "Customer Service"

• Stayed December 2010
IrelandICH, Manager at Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
Thanks for the review. It is great to hear the positive feedback from clients.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,058 reviews

Been to Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!