“Mixed”

Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
“Mixed”
Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

Nice welcome by receptionist , room was very old fashioned I was shocked that this hotel has a 3star rating. Our room was such a let down everything was old and worn no excuse in my opinion for this standard in today's world. Staff was very nice and hard working , the menu in the bar is out of date and the food is such poor quality items on the menu do not match what is presented, cheaper cheese on burgers then what is on the menu, over cooked veg nothing is seasoned come on is bar food that hard to get right ?
When we were staying there was a big function on in the hotel we asked to speak to the manager after getting our meal in the bar, we're were so let down by the room and then the meal that we felt we should bring it up , he was so nice he insisted on taking back our meals and making sure they were done right, he moved us to a superior room, at 5 am there were people playing hurling in the corridor again it was the same man who came up to deal with it.
I would return again if we got a superior room.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bernie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 16 January 2013

my wife and myself stayed at this hotel from the 2nd jan to 6th jan 2013 we bought the coupons on grab one deals we found everything satisfactory we had breakfast each morning and 2 two course meals on 2nights the staff was very nice and helpful to us it is only a few minutesdrive into town ideal place to stay for touring and close to the cliffs of moher about 1 hours drive from galway and about 35minutes from limerick would not have a problem staying there again

Room Tip: we found it very quite at night no noise
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank larrykielthy
IrelandICH, Manager at Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Dear Larry Kielthy,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed you stay and that you would return to our hotel again. Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I will be sharing same with the staff as they always enjoy hearing people had a nice stay.Hopefully we see you later in the season and always please check the hotel website as that is were the best deals are available. Thanks again for your feedback.

killarney
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I stayed here last week on a business trip. I was arriving early in the morning and requested a late check out which was not an issue at all. A very pleasant receptionist had just come on duty and had a welcoming smile, even though it was about 7am!!! My room, 517, was a pleasure to stay in and had all I needed. Also, it was cold outside so the cosy hotel and room were very much appreciated. I had a good quality TV, radio and CD player, safe for my valuables etc etc. It was also a quiet room which I needed. Breakfast was very tasty and had much more on the buffet than I would need but it catered for all tastes, including a selection of nuts and seeds. I had a business meeting afterwards in the lobby by the lovely fire and it made for a great and successful encounter. Before I went for my snooze, I had lunch in the Bar which had a good carvery( lots of locals there which is always a good sign). I had the chicken curry and it was nice and spicy but not too much. When i went for a quick rest before departing, the houskeepers were very quiet so i wasn't disturbed. Overall, I am very glad i stayed here and intend to do so again. Thank you from a weary travellor. Peter.

Room Tip: I did not see other rooms but i was in 517 so these are definetly good rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank killarney c
IrelandICH, Manager at Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Dear Killarney C,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for also taking the time to post up the photos as most recent photos give people a great indication of what our hotel is like. It seems you did not get a chance to use our leisure facilities which is a pity as same are very modern and I am sure you would have enjoyed same. Our staff will appreciate your compliments re our hotel.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed in the hotel few weeks ago. Hotel's lobby is very nice so we got the impression we are staying in a nice place. How wrong we were.
The hotel haven;t heard about non smoking rooms. Bedrooms are smelly and dusty.
Bathrooms clean enough. It needs to be done up, badly!! We went for a bite to the bar. There was one barman and manager behind the counter and one girl on the floor. She seemed stressed out, as she was dishing out the food, collecting the money and serving drinks to our table, while the bar person and manager stood there and chatted doing absolutely nothing. We had a chat with them, whilst having drink at the bar. \they seemed friendly. Frendliness is more than welcome, but efficient service more important, we thought.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer45_13
Dear Jennifer,

thank you for your review of or hotel. I am sorry that there was shortcomings experienced in relation to our standards and service. Your detail re service received and your observations will be acted upon immediately. Trying to ensure our bedrooms are not used by smokers is challenging but every effort will be made to eliminate same. I appreciate you taking the time to bring these matters to our attention.

Seamus.

Travellers are raving about these Ennis hotels

dublin
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I stayed here between Christmas Day and New Year. It has been a few years since staying here. A lot and little has changed. The outside of stone etc still looks appealing and lobby is all modern bright and welcoming. At check in I enquired to see if I could see the difference between standard and superior rooms and a young manager showed me both. The standard room was a little older and basic but was perfectly presented but the superior was fairly modern and more appealing. I choose the standard as was on a budget but they upgraded me anyway as they had the rooms available.
I was delighted with gym, swimming pool etc. All staff I encountered were friendly and seemed content even accommodation staff saluting with a hearty good morning. I was happy with my visit and will stay again.

Room Tip: request the rooms starting with 5.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank dobalina
Dear Dobalina,

I am really glad you enjoyed our stay with us. It is great to hear that you were satisfied with all aspects of your visit. We realise it is challenging to please all of the people all of the time but our team do find it rewarding when people are happy with their experience. Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

Yours sincerely,
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed for two nights at €70 per night incl breakfast over New Years which I thought was very good value. The leisure centre was very good with a decent size pool, steam room and sauna. I didn't use the gym but it looked like it was well equiped.

Some reviews have said that the rooms are dated but ours wasn't at all. The room was a good size with a double and single bed, was clean, the bathroom was fine as well. It was a pretty standard hotel room, nothing fantastic but I certainly wouldn't call it dated. The staff were helpful and courteous.

The hotel is located about a five minute drive from Ennis town centre. There's plenty of parking available. The breakfast was a bit of a let down. There wasn't much of a selection apart from rashers, sausages and scrambled egg. The sausages tasted a bit dodgy on one of the mornings as well.

Overall, for a hotel with a leisure centre it was pretty decent value. We would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SF3415
IrelandICH, Manager at Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Thanks for the review. It is great to hear the positive feedback from clients. The Auburn Lodge Hotel is constantly improving the quality and service provided in all areas. Come and enjoy your own experience while staying at the Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights from New Years Eve. On check-in we were given room 235 which was tiny and we felt claustrophobic as soon as we walked in. Asked for an upgrade but no double rooms were available so we were moved to what I assume was a family room (room 116). Heating didn't work till we were checking out this morning, room wasn't serviced the first day and we had to call for replacement toiletries. The WIFI didn't work and the staff were less than helpful. I had an important document that needed to be sent on the 1st which I couldn't send. Large crack across the ceiling. Single glazed windows with the worst condensation I've ever seen, mouldy too. Mould on the bathroom ceiling and tiles, dirty shower head and unsteady toilet. Wouldn't recommend this hotel and definitely wouldn't go back. They did however take €24 off the overall cost of the room as compensation. Restaurant food was lovely and my partner only had good things to say about the leisure centre which I did not visit myself.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank egande
Again, It is unfortunate you came across numerous issues with the hotel. Management have since implemented further staff training for all departments to upgrade and improve service and standard in the bedrooms and all other areas within the hotel. The outside company who manage the WIFI on behalf of the Auburn have since recitfied the WIFI breakdown. Again, it was great to hear your enjoyment of the Food and the Leisure Centre on site.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,088 reviews

Been to Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!