“Cheap deal!”

Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I availed of this 'deal' and used my voucher in mid/late December 2013. The welcome was good, the bar staff were great, the food was good. However, the room was a disaster! We were put in a family room, which would have been great if we needed that. What we didn't need was to hear the other guest arrive into his room just as we were going to sleep (directly adjoined to ours) and feel like he was in the room with us. This poor unfortunate seemed to be sick with a bad cough and obviously couldn't sleep because he watched TV for the night and kept leaving his room constantly, banging doors, etc. and it wasn't until 4 - 5am we realised he'd been going out to smoke and decided he'd had enough and decided to smoke in his room. I had to put a pillow under the 'adjoining' door to stop the smoke coming in. We were kind of in shock and stupidly felt the other guest would eventually go to sleep. He had paid for his room and was entitled to do what he liked, but i'd say he was as shocked as we were to realise we were all sharing a 'Family Suite'. He turned off the TV at 5.30am. We had to get up at 6am!
When I was checking out I complained (rarely would) and the receptionist was not interested and didn't care...she actually said to me 'oh you had one of those deals didn't you'!! Will never stay in Auburn Lodge again. I hadn't reviewed to date, but when I saw this deal again I felt I had to review. Whatever you do, make sure you know what type of room you are booking.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IrelandICH, Manager at Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Shirley,

I was personally very disappointed to read what happened with your room allocation for your stay and the negative issues as a result. This was a relatively unique situation but still could and should have been avoided. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay including the welcome at reception and the bar staff.
I see that you are based in Galway obviously not far away so I would like to invite you to come to our hotel again on a one night stay complimentary to show you that the room allocation issue is not the norm. Please contact me direct on riobard@rlynehotels.com if you want to arrange same. I hope it is not too late to try and make amends.

Regards,

Riobard Lyne.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed for 2 nights on the 14th and 15th of February. We found the room small but for a 3 star hotel it was comfy if somewhat outdated. We had a meal in the bar on the 1st night and enjoyed it. Two drunks sitting at the bar in the side room (where no beer is served) didn't add to our enjoyment but they left of their own accord after 15 minutes. My wife and I were surprised that they were not asked to leave sooner.
On the 15th we had our first encounter with the very rude receptionist. I do not recall her name but she would be in her mid to late forties. I wanted to print out a one page document that I needed for work. The hotel has a computer and printer that is coin operated. I inserted my €2 and went to my email to print the document. After trying for 10 minutes the internet stopped working. I went up to the reception desk and told the rude receptionist what had happened. She looked at me as if I was lying. She made no offer to give me back my €2 and just looked at me. I then asked her if she knew of anywhere I could print it off (as she looked at me over her own computer and printer). Unbelievably she told me to try in the town! A 20 minute walk! The other receptionist (a young girl with a nice personality) overheard this and rushed over immediately offering her computer for use. I was so taken aback by the rude receptionist that I said I would just leave it. (I eventually printed it off in a neighbouring hotel the following day).
On the day of check out on the 17th we went to pay for our meal from the Friday evening with the same rude lady yet again. (She never mentioned our incident from yesterday and still offered no form of apology.) We were not presented with a bill but thankfully my wife had remembered how much it had cost and agreed with the rude receptionist. When we tried to pay via bank bank the card system was not working. The receptionist looked at us again as if it was our fault and we were an inconvenience as we had no cash on us! How I stayed calm I will never know. My wife and I searched our bags, pockets and car and managed to scrape together the cash. The receptionist barely managed a thank you when we gave it to her. I could sense the embarrassment from the other young receptionist next to her who again tried to help but was somewhat overpowered by this rude lady.
My wife and I will never set foot in this hotel again after dealing with such a rude member of staff. Overall it's a good clean hotel with tasty food. What a shame we had to deal with such an unfriendly, antagonistic and down right rude member of this hotel's staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dec S
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed there in early march with my girlfriend and had contacted the hotel earlier in the week askin could they help with a wedding proposal during our stay.Mairead the recepionist was more than happy to help and she put the items i gave her in our room(which i think was upgraded)while we were at dinner.anyway all went well with the proposal and after arriving back on sat night there was a card and present from the staff in our room.really helpful staff and they helped me so much and played it cool because she hadnt a clue what was going on!

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank philyharris1986
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a deal with evening meal ... It was good nice hotel nothing fancy food was very good. Staff were friendly and there was great Craic in the bar til all hours!!! We would stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Kaikai5
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Not a bad hotel, does exactly what it says on the thin i.e its advertised as a 3 star and that’s the service it gives. I found the rooms to be fairly spacious and the sleep quality not too bad. Walls are a bit thin on the ground level and I did notice some noise traveling from other rooms.
In room features were adequate for a 3 star hotel. ( to be honest we didnt spend alot of time in the rooms so I couldn't say if my opinion would be more negatively impacted change if I was there for a longer term.)

Hotel layout internal feels more like a nursing home or old hospital. Wonder if the hotel has such a role previous.

Receptionists were hit and miss. Some friendly, some are not. There was a young girl on reception at the weekend that was particularly friendly. The rest, well, were a little bit grumpy.

Town centre is about 5 minutes away by taxi and it costs about 8 euro to get there.

I just used this hotel to rest my head during my travels so cant give a more detailed insight.However for that purpose, all in all, a not terrible average 3 star.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The room met my needs as a traveller, giving me a bed to sleep in after a long day of tours. However, it does have a rabbit warren feeling to this hotel. The gardens were nice, the staff were pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Crystalline4u
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We were a little disappointed on check-in, which made us a little wary as to how the remainder of our break was going to progress. We felt we had to ask all the questions???...as we had never stayed here before naturally you expect the receptionist to be welcoming and informative...our receptionist was neither!
We booked our dinner on arrival (with reception?) and headed up to our room to freshen up and get ready for our dinner. On arriving at the restaurant we found they had no record of our booking? Thankfully they sorted this out quite promptly and we were shown to our table. Dinner was lovely and our waitress very friendly. The bar was very busy and lively!!!
Overall we had an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Celtic2307
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel

Been to Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!