“Great Value for a Really NIce Hotel”

Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
cork
“Great Value for a Really NIce Hotel”
Reviewed 21 August 2009

I really don't know what some of the other reviewers want in a hotel ! The staff are Extremely friendly and accommodating - one of the last hotels where you can get a genuine Irish welcome. The food, breakfast, lunch and dinner were very nice. The leisure centre is an excellent facility in the hotel.

We stayed for three nights. Great Play place next to hotel for kids. You can get discount vouchers at the reception. The hotel is very clean, cosy and has a very nice feel to it. Genuine Irish entertainment in the bar at the weekend - and Not too loud. Would recommend this hotel as a great place to see the beautiful county of Clare - great value that I would say is hard to beat.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I stayed with my wife for a weekend in July. We booked over the web and got an excellant deal including breakfast. Its a great base to see Clare and the hotel and facilities are great.
The leisure centre is very new and the room we were assigned was very modern. I believe they are renovating the rooms at the moment..
Overall great value for money !

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Croker95
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Stayed here for a Saturday night (which was actually our second stay, having stayed here about two years ago in November 2007).

For the price, we think this is a very good value lodge. It's not flash - but who would expect that for only £60 a night..? [Sometimes I think other reviewers forget that you get what you pay for and won't get 5* or even 4* for only a 3* price!!] It's perfectly functional and tidy for the price.

Both times our room was clean, basic and comfortable - in fact this time we had a very comfortable bed and lovely soft (German/Swiss/Swedish style) pristine white duvet - which was a surprise for the price.

It's on the main road to Galway, only a quick couple of minutes drive to Ennis town centre.

Breakfast was fine - my husband said the bacon was excellent, there were also hot tomatoes, scambled eggs, black and white pudding, sausages. Also juices, 3 x tinned fruits, and cereals, plus loads of the local Irish brown soda bread (which I love!), toast and jams. Simple, but ample, and good value for the price of the room.

We were very tired after a long day driving around the Dingle Peninsula, so ate in the restaurant - simple food, but tasty . Probably a bit expensive for what it was, but that didn't bother us.

The staff we encountered were very nice. A lovely Asian lady in the restaurant - nothing was a problem and she was so sweet, and a very nice and helpful young girl on reception.

Come on people, it's a small town in down-to-earth, low key Ireland. It's not 5* or even 4* - but it's perfectly functional and simple and very good value for a cheap night in a lovely little town.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Kildare
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I went with my sister, but I won't be going back. They fulfilled my request for a room away from hall doors etc as I sleep badly in hotels. The room was very far away but I slept soundly 2 nights in a row which is amazing. The beds were clean and comfortable. The room very simple, relatively clean but outdated. Most staff were friendly and helpful (bar one obnoxious waitress). The free WiFi is also an upside. Location is good. Unfortunately, here is where the compliments end! If you enjoy eating...at all....don't eat here. The food is quite literally horrendous. The breakfast consists of either a fry or cereal. I don't like frys and can't have milk so the 2nd day I was reduced to bringing my own. We stood waiting to be seated for ages, so eventually decided to seat ourselves. Seeing no small table we sat at the end of a table for 6. Immediately said obnoxious waitress came over and barked at us to move to a smaller table. I said we would if there were any free! She then mumbled that if we'd waited she could've cleaned one off but that it was ok, she'd "let" us stay where we were!! How kind of her. The meal that night that came included was beyond a joke. The duck springrolls came out being just 1 springroll with hot salad?? and the stir-fried veg with my incinerated salmon was scant, oily and mush. Said waitress again barked at me that I wouldn't get a side of ordinary veg cause I'd some on my plate already. That being said my sister's chicken was lovely. The couple beside us who weren't residents, ordered off the al a carte menu and didn't eat their pork because both said it was just about to go off. Why they paid for their meal is beyond me. We were at the table for 2 1/2 hours!! Even at check out they couldn't get it right. First they overcharged us, then couldn't figure out how to rectify the problem as we didn't bring out voucher with us. (Even though we booked online with a voucher code that seemed to calculate the price just fine). I'm sorry to say I wouldn't recommend this place at all. I'm embarressed to be Irish when tourists have to stay in hotels like this.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Ennis hotels

Cornwall
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We travelled with Shearings Coaches and were booked in for 4 nights at this hotel, I had asked for a Disabled ground floor, twin bedded room (as it does not have a lift), I even e.mailed them the week prior to our trip and ther acknowleded my request. On arrival we were allocated a first floor room which meant going up stairs, I declined this one, we were then allocated another at the far end of a very long corridor (we both have walking difficulties). We tried this one, but the key didn't work so had to go back to reception, they gave me another key, I then asked if this was a disabled twin bedded room, the answer was "No", so again we declined and I told them that I had e.mailed them and expected a room suitable for us. We eventually obtained a suitable room on the ground floor (not disabled) but it was very cold and damp. I asked for some sort of heating and more pillows as there were only one to each bed. I was told that they would be sent to our room while we had our evening meal. The meal took two hours, the service was so slow that most of our group were nearly asleep (mostly elderly people). On returning to our room at 9.30pm, we had our pillows but no heating. The next day I was told that the heating would come on at 10.00 pm, but I still asked for an electric fire as my husband has a heart condition and has had a stroke and feels the cold and if he starts to shiver he could become very ill. Again our meal took over two hours and still no heating. I went to the reception and was told that a fire would be delivered in five minutes, this was now 9.45 pm. At 10.00pm I again went to reception to ask for heating and found they had a change over and knew nothing about my request, they said that the heating should come on if I turned it on at the radiator, I said I had tried that but couldn't move the taps, I was then told a heater would be sent to me within a few minutes, by 10.15pm still no heating and it was very cold and damp so again back to the reception (my husband had got into bed to try to get warm), they told me they were trying to find a heater for me, I said I would wait there for it. The manager then said that one had been found and would be delivered immediately. I returned to the room and within five minutes a heater arrived with the manager who said that the heating should be on, I told her to try it but she couldn't turn the taps on either, but at least by 10.30pm we had a bit of heating. The next day we spoke to the owner about our problems and also about the bad service in the dining room, she asked if the restaurant manager had been overseeing the service to which we said "No, we have only seen the three girls trying to serve 46 people", she told us she would look into it. That evening we had our meal with the best service we had seen, it was all over within a hour and a half, the next evening we were back to waiting again for two hours. In our room, the handle on the toilet broke so we were unable to flush it, I reported this to the reception and was told that the maintenance man would be with us within five minutes, this was at 6.00pm. We had to use a bucket of water to flush the toilet...the next morning we were leaving the hotel to start our journey home and we never did see the maintenance man. This was the worse hotel we have ever stayed at and would not recommend it for any group travel or for any lenght of time. There is no bus service to get you into the town of Ennis so taxis are your only choice.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank Lavorrick
Zürich
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Having stayed in more than 100 Hotels worldwide and ca. 10 different Hotels in Ireland, by far this has been the WORST Hotel I have ever been to. The room was okayish but dirty. One of the pillows had blood stains on it! I kid you not!! The bathroom had broken lights and was not cleaned. There was no soap by the sink or for the shower and it was not even refilled the next day. The furniture was absolutely horrible in all of the Hotel. But what has actually made this stay there absolutely shocking is its incredible rude staff. Asking simple and fair enough questions like about the opening times of the restaurant were answered in a manner of such annoyance that confused myself about what I had actually just asked. Even though we got our room at a special offer to include one evening dinner at a choice of a night, we actually prefered not to avail of it, as we really enjoyed being away from the Hotel much more than being inside. The staff, the staff.. horribly trained people. I wonder if they ever got trained at all. I can actually not even name one single good thing about our stay with this hotel, not one.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mocka4shocka
Dublin
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The room is fine, no complaines. But the housekeeper was ridiculous. We only stayed one night, check out time is moon, but the housekeeper came to wake us up at pass 9am, and came back 2 or 3 times after. We were checking out by 12pm, why the hell we need housekeeping???!!!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kittycat275
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,089 reviews

Been to Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!