“Romance is Dead upon Arrival”

Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I found this hotel on http://www.hoteldealsireland.ie/, the package I thought was very good for €125pps, it included 2 nights B&B, Dinner & one 30 minute spa treatment. The package was called the Romance package. Upon arriving at the hotel on saturday we were greated by 3 unprofessional & slightly immature receptionists who seemed to find it strange that my partner was a woman?! After this insightly conversation we were given our room & set off from the misleading reception to the twilight zone that was our room. Upon entering the room which was just off a grubby corridor, we were smothered by the stench of stale smoke & dust. I immediately opened the window & took a look around me. The carpets & duvet were stained. The bathroom was like something out of a seedy love affair motel room! I called reception to complain, I asked why we'd been put into a smoking room when I specifically requested a non-smoking room. The receptionist apologised but said 'ya I know but they still smoke in the rooms anyway!' Is this not illegal????
We were then moved to a similar room up the corridor which was equally as bad! We decided to make the most of it as we hadn't had a weekend break in about a year. It turned out id left something in the other room so we went back up to get it. On entering the previous room it seemed the receptionist had sprayed an air freshener!! How misleading. God love the guest who got that room next!!!
I had planned a nice relaxing weekend & was looking forward to enjoying being out of the chaos of Dublin, relaxing in the countryside. I was looking forward to the spa & relaxing in a nice hot bath. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been updated since the 70's. So clearly I wast going to attempt a bath. I waited for my spa appointment to 'Relax'.. My apt. was first so my partner waited outside for me. I spoke to the therapist for a few minutes and she asked me to sign a form. She asked me was I having the facial, I said yes. She then said 'and himself is having the massage' I said 'She'. She said 'Oh right ya' (No apology!!!) She seemed a bit confused & repeated herself again ' and he's having the massage?' Seething by this stage i said 'She's a girl, her name is*******' still confused she said to me ' Oh the receptionist said you were a couple?' OMG does this girl not know about Gay couples or what!!!! So I said' Ya we are?!' she said 'Oh thats grand so, you can pretend you're getting married!!!' and laughed!! I said ' We are' and she was like oh great!!! Seriously backward this girl! What made it worse was that when she went outside while i got ready for my treatment, she went & relayed the whole think to the leisure center receptionist!! My partner heard the whole thing! That girl ought to be ashamed of herself. I'm glad she was mortified, so would I be if I was that Ignorant & rude & I hope she realises when she reads this!
The only two nice people we encountered on the whole trip was the waiter in the bar & the receptionist on our departure. Geez was like taking a step into the past that place!!

PLEASE don't waste your money on this place as it is clearly not romantic. I just wish I had checked trip advisor the day I was booking as I missed the previous two complaints!!!

Pictures to follow people!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julie_stimpson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 21 February 2011

Pros: staff is pro, kind and polite. Breakie wasnt bad. Spa facilitty. Swimming pool.
Cons: Rooms are smelly (smoke, dirt, old) and not clean (stained carpets throughout the halls and rooms), i found a child's wool glove in a corner when looking for my sock, it was so dusty and hairy it made me gag... 2.5euro for a swim hat - rip off Ireland when you hold me tight!
Super noisy rooms, back breaker beds

If you have no choice, stay there, it is ok but not great, i am sorry i brought mi girlfriend there

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kitingchristy
IrelandICH, Manager at Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

The Auburn Lodge Hotel will continue to upgrade and improve service and standard in the bedrooms and all other areas within the hotel. Any error or problem which occurs at the hotel are taken care of immediately and noted so the same does not happen again in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2011

Stayed here with my husband and young baby, room was very small, bathroom was filthy, really dirthy, grout on walls had mould. It looks nothing like on website, well the room we got did not.
We went up to bar to get menu and have a drink, every glass I got was dirty. Food was average.
So dissapointed with this hotel, would NOT recconmend it

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank orlamc69

Reviewed 24 January 2011

I was one of hundreds travellers who were diverted to Shannon, Ireland on Dec 18th due to large snow falls. My flight was from Mexico City to Heathrow. We were placed in the Auburn Lodge Hotel in Ennis. This hotel was fantastic. Excellent staff, great food & comfortable rooms. The hotel only knew 1 hour before we arrived that we were arriving. Within 1 hour of getting our rooms we had a first class dinner served. This facility knows the meaning of "Customer Service"

• Stayed: December 2010
IrelandICH, Manager at Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Thanks for the review. It is great to hear the positive feedback from clients.

Reviewed 11 January 2011

We flew into Shannon for a weeks stay in Ireland. I originally had planned on staying in Limerick but was a little leery about driving around a large city on my first day on the right hand side of the road. So instead I chose Ennis, an easy 20 minute drive from the airport on a nice motorway. The Auburn offered great rates so I decided to book 3 nights there. Check in was a breeze and the staff were friendly and the room was clean with comfortable beds. Don't expect great views of the countryside because this hotel is located about a mile and a half from the center of Ennis kind of in the suburbs. There's a handy grocery store right next door that is interesting to explore. I never had the breakfast there but did eat in the restaurant a couple of times and found the food to be pretty basic but limited. There's an indoor pool that looked great but I never had the time to enjoy it. The overall advantage of staying here was the location. A quick ride to downtown Ennis and easy access to the Motorway. We did easy trips to Galway, The Cliffs of Moher, Limerick and Cork and a lot of drives out in the country exploring and stopping at little villages to eat and drink. Overall a nice experience with no problems. A word of caution if you plan to drive in Ireland, rent the smallest car you can get away with. Most roads are very narrow with no shoulders to speak of.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre is an ideal base for visitng Ennis Town and touring the many wonders of County Clare. All are Welcome!

Reviewed 31 December 2010

Pros: Leisure Center, massage, dinner, waitress service, bar.

Cons: Room is not nice, uncomfortable bed, door was open when we arrived, bathroom is just nasty, mix up with reception resulted in catching someone
entering our room, Problems with water shortage in the area resulted in brown glunge coming out the taps and no water or toilet from 11pm-10am.

Romantic package turned out to be not so romantic.

• Stayed: December 2010

Sorry but I do not understand the title of the reveiw? It is unfortunate you came across numerous issues with the hotel. Any error or problem which occurs at the hotel, they are taken care of immediately and noted the same does not happen in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2010

I had the pleasure of staying in the Auburn Lodge Hotel during the Clare Rally. Angela Lyne the owner of this absolutely wonderful hotel, has every year sponsored the Clare Rally. Well done Angela.
If you have an event you would like to run from this location the quality of organisation from this establishment is second to none.
The hotel itself has been added on to in stages which is evident from the rear outside, but within it you would never know. As it all comes together so well.
The decor and furnishings within the hotel and rooms you will admire, every piece of furniture in the place I wanted to bring home with me ! must bring a bigger suitcase next time
The carvery in the very spacious bar area is very well presented, good food, pleasant staff and very clean enviroment. Plenty of seating within the very spacious lounge which extends through to the bar area.
The ease of checking in here was perfect, the atmosphere and manner of staff likewise was perfect. A home from home atmosphere, very comfortable.
The restaurant area once again very well decorated, clean tidy and a great buffet breakfast.
The rooms are more than adequate and clean. Personally I loved the shampoo's and soaps that they use my hair felt great after washing it, as i would not usually use shampoo's in hotels.
I do not understand how it is only a 3 star rating, As the leisure centre at the Auburn Lodge is fantastic. Just the right size, they have a gym, pool sauna jacuzzi, all nicely fitted within a reasonable area. The chaging rooms were clean and spacious.
All in all a fantastic stay, very family friendly including free access to the local childrens activity play centre Barney's, free vouchers at reception. This is within walking distance about 4 minutes.
The garden area is such a pleasant place to go and sit for a while with a cuppa. Very pretty and peaceful.
I seriously loved this hotel.
An exceptionally large car park which surrounds the hotel, ideally situated on the Galway Road, that you are not actually in the city, but everything is just a couple of minutes away if you require anything.
Great location , Great Hotel, Great stay and seriosly great people.

A peaceful stay, a get-away break
The Auburn Lodge, you're senses will awake
A fine hotel with character and grace
A wonderful stay, you will have in this place.

The people here may sponsor you're race

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Bonneyann

The Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre is located just outside of Ennis Town in a quiet and peaceful area. Short walks nearby along with all local amenities, attractions and Golf Courses.
Shannon International Airport 15km.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel

Been to Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!