“Nothing special”

Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 12 February 2009

I stayed here on business recently. There was a very good corporate rate and I was pleased with the room and big comfortable bed. The decor is fairly modern but some dodgy paintwork and scratches on the walls. There was no kettle in the room but i got a free cup of tea at the bar. Would prefer a kettle in the room though. There were no toiletries in the bathroom, but with the good rate I got i didnt mind too much. The strange thing was no one came to clean the room during the three nights i stayed there! I did have loads of towels to keep me going. The staff were very friendly but they need to get the cleaners in! Would not say its a 4 star. The tv was very fuzzy too and really only had about 5 channels. Friends said the restaurant was good and very reasonable but I didnt eat there. Car parking is very limited, only about 6 spots but i got one every day.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 December 2008

I visited Ashford Court Hotel last Friday and would like to say how impressed I was with the hotel,
my room 314 was beautifully appointed and extremely well kept. I would be very happy to recommend the hotel to anyone.
-----

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2008

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. Consistent with some of the other reviewers, it is a little tricky to find. The receptionist was pleasant enough, however, we were offered no help with luggage. Given that it is rated a 4 star hotel I was expecting more. Our room was tiny but had a king size bed. The view was over the garbage area. Housekeeping was not so good. We returned to our room one evening and dirty glasses and coffee cup were left in the room and there was no toilet paper. As for the positive, we ate in the restaurant one night and liked it a lot. The bed was quite comfortable with down pillows, comforter, and soft white sheets. We were also glad to have the free wifi.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We came upon this little gem after having the horror of another hotel we booked being a complete dump (Auburn Lodge), from the minute we checked into the Ashford Court Hotel the staff were amazing!!!! bent over backwards to make sure we had everything we needed.
The room was perfect, had a great breakfast and amazing dinner in the Italian restaurant down stairs.
The hotel is modern, clean and friendly and only a stroll from the town centre. I will gladly stay here again, and luck forward to it.
Laura McCormick
Wicklow

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 24 May 2008

Thie is a nice hotel, but good luck finding it. Luckily for us the bus driver (from Shannon Airport) took the time to let us off in the vicinity then pointed ("Its that way,") There is no address, only a street name, so we only found it by asking three separate people who vaguely pointed down a side street. A taxi will cost you 7 Eruos. The pavement leading up to and away from it was frequently broken and unusable. Not a very good start. The room was fine and the breakfast terrific, but the TV had only three channels and boring programs, The news channel usually showed two or three guys talking and vidos of the newspaper headlines. The desk gave us a hand drawn map which was usable but we got a much better one from the Sicilian restaurant where we ate both nights. There may be pubs nearby (which was our goal,) but no one could tell us where. We found one next day down near the information place in the center of town but that is not that close to the hotel.
In town there is a nice small musuem and we took the trip to the Cliffs of Moher, which were spectacular , and the bus trip there and back through the countryside was pleasant.
There seemed to be any number of B&Bs and other small hotel nearer the center of town. I would check them out before reserving in the Ashford Court Boutique

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NavySeaEagle
Reviewed 13 May 2008

I didn't check Tripadvisor reviews for the Ashford Court until after I confirmed my reservation for one night in May. I had haggled by email on the overnight rate, so I didn't really want to pull out.

The previous TripAdvisor reviews were very curious. Many seemed to be either outrageously negative, or wildly positive, and many seemed to be from one-time posters, who only posted on this hotel - no others.

Fortunately, I ignored the bad reviews and went ahead with my booking, and I had an overwhelmingly positive experience. First, the bad news....

The location of the hotel is indeed a bit 'industrial', and is slightly off the beaten track in Ennis. It didn't stand out, so I had to watch closely. Parking is indeed limited, though I managed to find space in what may have been the smokers terrace, but no-one seemed to mind! I would have been a bit concerned about parking outside the hotel.

The view from my room window was a bit 'industrial' (see photos), though this didn't really bother me. When I'm traveling on business, I tend to arrive late and leave early, so I'm not spending hours pondering the mysteries of life while looking out the window. I had asked for a quiet room, and the receptionist put me in a room at the rear of the hotel.

The central ceiling light was flickering when I arrived. I didn't report it at the time, as I didn't really want porters messing around in my room at 11 pm at night, and there was plenty of lights from the bedside lights and the desklight. I couldn't work out how to switch on the light above the mirror in the bathroom.

The night porter seemed a bit confused when I asked for a 7am alarm call, possibly because the office staff wouldn't be on duty by then! Eventually we agreed on 7.15am, and the call came on time.

Now the good news....

My room was fine (see photos), and was reasonably spacious (see photos). There wasn't a whole lot of room between the desk chair and the bed, but I felt this was similar to many other hotels. The room was nicely decorated, and it was nice to see a quilt bedcover, instead of the usual sheets and blankets.

The bathroom was fine (see photos), with all the facilities you'd need and well stocked with shampoo, soap and shower gel. As other posters had mentioned about 'holes in the wall', I checked closely and did indeed find two small dents in the wall - one from the door handle. I've taken photos to show how small and minor these are. While they should indeed have been touched up with paint, anyone complaining about this is indeed nitpicking.

Breakfast next morning was fine, with a buffet of fruit, juice and cereals, and cooked breakfasts available to order. It wasn't the biggest breakfast buffet I've ever seen, but it had everything I needed.

I had no problems with noises in my room (as mentioned by other reviewers). At one stage, I did hear a noise like a fan or pump running for a minute or two, but this soon stopped.

All in all, I had a good experience and a great night's sleep. I'd be happy to stay at the Ashford Court again when in Ennis, provided I can get parking.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank IrishRainyDay
Reviewed 26 March 2008

This hotel is nothing short of Faulty Towers,
Upon arriving after 4 hours drive we found the hotel in the middle of a housing estate. There was no parking facilities in the hotel and we were advised of a car park (when we got there the fire brigade were putting out a stolen car) we should have left then. The room was small enough but ok, until we wanted to go to bed and found the sheets had not been changed since the last guests. I contacted reception who then told us there was nothing they could do at that time of the night apart from give us new sheets. I demanded a new room (it was after 12 otherwise we would have been gone) we got a new room after much aggrivating questioning from the Porter, the room was laughable, a king size bed that you had to climb over to get to the other side of the room because you could not walk beside it. A single bed would have been just about ok in this room.

All in all a pretentious terrible place which would have given a B&B a bad name let alone a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Old Ground Hotel
Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
The Oakwood Hotel
The Oakwood Hotel
#2 of 3 in Shannon

Been to Ashford Court Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!