“Enjoyed staying at the Ashford Court”

Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
valdosta, GA
“Enjoyed staying at the Ashford Court”
Reviewed 17 April 2009

My family and I stayed one night at the Ashford Court during a visit to Ireland in June 2008, and enjoyed staying there. Ennis is a nice city in a great part of Ireland, and the hotel was a nice place to stay. We had two big rooms (one with a king-sized bed for Mom and Dad, the other with three single beds for my two adult brothers and I), and they were real nice. The rooms were warm, and so were the showers. Breakfast was simple, but still good. The Italian restaurant at the hotel looked nice, too, but we had already eaten dinner by the time we got to Ennis. Like most of the reviewers on here have said, the hotel can be a little difficult to find (although we also should have printed a map off the internet before our trip) and there's not much parking, but we found it without too much trouble, and the staff cleared out a place for us to park. The staff was friendly and helpful, and even let me make a phone call to Dublin without charging me. I've seen some unhappy customers posting reviews of the Ashford Court, but all five members of my family really enjoyed our stay there, had no complaints and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
offaly
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Went to ennis with my boyfriend for the weekend. Had searched for a hotel on the internet that was modern and also good value for money. The hotel has only 27 rooms so I thought this might be nice for a change! Somewhere quiet! Which it was. Arrived late on the fri night and had no bother finding it...compared to other reviewers! As i didnt print off directions or a map for myself I rang the hotel on the way into ennis and the directions they gave me were spot on! Check in was great, Andrew, the man on reception had our keys ready and there was no fuss! He was helpful & informative. Got to our room and the heat had been turned on already, nice touch! Breakfast buffet was poor enough, but hot breakfast was good! Had dinner at the hotel on sat night, they serve food until 11pm which I thought was great, also it was very good value. Room was clean and comfortable, although was awoken on sun morning @ 8am by a very strange loud noise, as another reviewer mentioned. Tom the owner of hotel was very friendly.
Overall, had a pleasant stay nothing major to fault! Enjoyed the weekend.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Galway
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Stayed for one night during Ennis Book Club festival at an excellent rate (cheaper than most B&B's in town). Very difficult to find the hotel and after driving up and down Old Mill Road twice, I eventually rang the hotel. Area is run down and not very inviting, but I found an elusive carparking spaces which signaled a good start. Reception was TINY, with a note on the phone to dial 0 for assistance. The body odour of the assistance arrived before the very helpful staff member, but I honestly couldn't get away from the desk fast enough. There was no check in form or swiping of credit card (had given my details when I booked room earlier in the week) which I found a little odd for a 4* "boutique" hotel. I think "guesthouse" might be a more accurate description.

I didn't have high expectations of my room, but was pleasantly surprised by its size and layout. Built in wardrobe with safe, ironing board and iron was a treat. Bathroom was spotlessly clean and spacious. Bed very comfy and nicely dressed with white linen. Found lack of kettle odd, but had large dispensers of mineral water on each floor and jugs to help oneself with (a new one on me!)

Some sort of sleeping monster awoke a few times during the night with heart stopping groans - I think it may be an air conditioning unit, but whatever it is it needs serious attention. First time I heard it at 2am I thought the roof was coming in.

Breakfast was a very, very basic buffet with a reasonable hot menu. No cheese available though listed on menu and when a diner asked for a couple of pieces of fruit the owner said they had none but would run to the shop for an orange and banana!! (I kid you not). Mr Smelly from check in doubled as chef/waiter - very friendly and helpful, as was the waitress/receptionist.

This hotel should rebrand itself as a budget/inn/guesthouse. It is NOT 4* or boutique, but it does offer very good value for money and is centrally located.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We booked this hotel because it was described as a boutique-style hotel. On arriving in Ennis we had to telephone to ask for directions, which is no surprise as it's located ina council housing estate next to a garage.

When booking I confirmed that there was secure car parking, but when we arrived, none of the 6 pr 7 spaces were available. I tried to manoeuvre into the smoking area, but without success. We did see kitchen staff coming out to their car, so it seems that staff get priority when it comes to car parking. I thought the area looked far to dangerous to park a new car on the street.

Check in was a simple enough, but when I returned to the desk to raise the issue of the car parking, the attendant was outside smoking and had left a phone on the counter with a sign on the counter telling me to call for assistance. The man on the phone wasn’t much help, so I left the key card on the counter, walked out & told the attendant that the place was a joke on my way! He didn't seem interested.

We drove straight to The Old Ground Hotel, which we've used before, and had a wonderful night’s stay.

The hotel probably isn’t a bad place, but I was incensed that the parking wasn’t as described, and the desk staff were totally uninterested.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ennis hotels

Wexford
Reviewed 12 February 2009

I stayed here on business recently. There was a very good corporate rate and I was pleased with the room and big comfortable bed. The decor is fairly modern but some dodgy paintwork and scratches on the walls. There was no kettle in the room but i got a free cup of tea at the bar. Would prefer a kettle in the room though. There were no toiletries in the bathroom, but with the good rate I got i didnt mind too much. The strange thing was no one came to clean the room during the three nights i stayed there! I did have loads of towels to keep me going. The staff were very friendly but they need to get the cleaners in! Would not say its a 4 star. The tv was very fuzzy too and really only had about 5 channels. Friends said the restaurant was good and very reasonable but I didnt eat there. Car parking is very limited, only about 6 spots but i got one every day.

• Liked — Cheap and cheerful
  • Disliked — No one cleaned the room once in 3 days!
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Cork
Reviewed 3 December 2008

I visited Ashford Court Hotel last Friday and would like to say how impressed I was with the hotel,
my room 314 was beautifully appointed and extremely well kept. I would be very happy to recommend the hotel to anyone.
-----

• Liked — The standard of the acomodation
  • Disliked — a little difficult to find
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 November 2008

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. Consistent with some of the other reviewers, it is a little tricky to find. The receptionist was pleasant enough, however, we were offered no help with luggage. Given that it is rated a 4 star hotel I was expecting more. Our room was tiny but had a king size bed. The view was over the garbage area. Housekeeping was not so good. We returned to our room one evening and dirty glasses and coffee cup were left in the room and there was no toilet paper. As for the positive, we ate in the restaurant one night and liked it a lot. The bed was quite comfortable with down pillows, comforter, and soft white sheets. We were also glad to have the free wifi.

• Liked — The bed and free wifi
  • Disliked — smallness of room and location
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Ashford Court Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!