“Will be back again def.”

Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My friend and I have just returned from West Co. We stayed 3 nights with the PigsBack Voucher ie 3 nigths B&B + €20 Vchr towards food for 2 people. Excellent Value. Staff very friendly and efficient throughout hotel, nothing is too much. The early bird menu 4 course meal for €15 is brill. Served between 5.00pm - 7.00pm each evening. You need to book each morning though. OK so parts of the hotel "are a bit tired" but listen you are not paying Dromorland Castle prices! Reception Staff are tops - have all the info regarding touring and will book/make enquiries for guests... just ask. Will definitely be back. M & M Cork.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back away from carpark. Not too near elevator as that could be noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marie S
HarringtonBrian, Manager at Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear Guest,

I refer to your recent stay at the West County Hotel and to your review which you have kindly shared. We do appreciate the effort that guests make to share their experiences as it is very useful to us in trying to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Please accept our sincere thanks to you for your very kind comments regarding the value offered and the service delivered. We do appreciate greatly such feedback and please be assured that it will be conveyed to all our personnel.

We are delighted to hear that you will be returning to the West County Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Brian Harrington.

Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

On Sunday last, 29th April, my family and I visited the Modern Homes exhibition at the West County Hotel in Ennis. When we were finished looking around, we decided to eat in the bar at the hotel as the kids were hungry. The bar looked in need of a revamp and generally seemed untidy, but we thought if the food is good, decor is only a minor thing. Oh, I should have gone with my gut instinct!
Firstly, there were plenty of staff strolling around oblivious to the general air of dishevelment around them. We were sitting waiting for at least 10 mins before a waitress came over to us. We were thinking "do we go to the bar to order ..?" This lady seemed capable and professional so confidence in our decision to eat here was temporarily restored. So we ordered; steak sandwich for me, bangers and mash with a portion of veg for my husband, baby bowl for two year old, kids portion of fish and chips for three and half year old( Sunday treat). The food arrived minus portion of veg and adults portion of fish and chips. No big deal, veg on the way we were told. That's fine we said. And so we tucked in..I took a bite of my steak sandwich and I can't describe to you the taste of rancid meat in the mouth but I hope I never have to taste it again. Absolutely disgusting. Vile. Vile. Vile. Clearly this meat was gone off. It stank. So we called the waitress to a) enquire where veg were and b) to tell her to take back the steak. When I told her it was bad so looked at me as if I had two heads. " but it's cut fresh from the loin everyday" she said. "You smell it" I said. She declined. She brought it to the kitchen, returned a few minutes later to ask me if I wanted something else; so I chose a panini. She didn't mention the steak.
The children ate their dinners, husband ate dinner, no sign of veg, I waited. I called a passing waiter and ordered drinks but something got lost in translation as we were still waiting 10 mins later. My panini arrived, no chips, no cutlery, veg arrived for husband who had finished dinner at least 10 minutes earlier. Completely shambolic.
I'd like to say we are not snobs. We go out once per week for dinner on Sunday. We are locals and were treated badly. No apology for serving dangerous food to us was given by any member of staff. If either of my children had eaten that steak they would have ended up in hospital. It's just not good enough. Triona

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank Trionamcm

Dear Triona,

I refer to your recent visit to the West County Hotel and in particular to your experience in our Borus Bar. Firstly, may I thank you for taking the time and effort to share your experiences as often it is only through guest feedback such as yours that we can attempt to maintain and improve the standards that we set.

Please accept my sincere apologies to you for the disappointment caused as a result of the poor service you received and the matter of the Steak sandwich. I cannot explain how it tasted so poorly to you but I wish to assure you that all our beef is Irish Beef and in accordance with our HACCP is fully traceable. I have the details concerning this particular batch of beef which does meet all the necessary requirements.

We are very disappointed to learn of your experience and regret that your evening was spoilt by this experience. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly at the hotel as I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter fully and to try and restore your confidence in the West County Hotel.

In the meantime, please accept our sincere apologies to all concerned and our thanks to you for bringing the matter to our attention.

Brian Harrington

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I got a good deal for this hotel so wasn't sure wht to expect. I don't think I could fault any part of our stay. The room was lovely, staff really plesent and helpful, yummy food and a lovely pool and gym to work it all off in.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Myself and my boyfriend carried out a trip to County Clare and we discovered a package on pigsback.ie which was in relation to this hotel. We got a deal for €95 for three nights B&B and €20 credit.
This was an excellent deal - the rooms were very standard - however we were only using the rooms for sleeping as we were to go sightseeing for most of the time. We didnt require for our room to be serviced for the days which we stayed and on our way on the door - we did not come accross any of the accommodation staff - however, when we arrived back to the room after our long day - there were fresh towels in a bag awaiting our arrival hanging on the door. This was a really nice touch, which i dont see in many of the hotels which i have stayed in.

The breakfast times were very good - they ran from 7am - 11am, we were given vouchers for our breakfast and it was in a buffet style. The breakfast was standard of the breakfast was good. No complaints and the waiting staff were lovely.

There was a deal when we were there for the month of April for Dinner - this could be booked if you wanted the early bird meal from 5pm - 7pm. The menu was well varied and it was only €15 for a 4 course meal - if you got the steak - you would have to pay a €5 suppliment - which is still an excellent offer. The waiting Staff for the Restaurant were extremely helpful and very friendly.

These is also a small gym and a swimming pool, sauna, steamroom (out of order) and Jacuzzi. I used the swimming pool, Sauna and Jacuzzi - however the steamroom was out of order. The swimming pool was clean and well mantained. The Sauna was small but it did its purpose. In regards of the changing areas, there were no cubicles - the lockers requried a lock and the area wasnt as moderised as i would have liked.

Overall, we had a great experience with hotel - the staff were exceptional - they helped us out greatly in getting around.

I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone - if you just want a place to crash over a few days when you travel the beautiful Burren and other areas - it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dublin1983
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Spent 18th, 19th, 20th of April in the hotel for a break. Very friendly and effficient reception staff as were the staff in the bar and grill. Room was adequate.Had a light and very flavoursome pasta in the bar on the first night. The four course early bird menu is excellent value for money and we ate in the grill the other two nights.Had a very informative visit to the museum in the Tourist Information building. Used the hotel as a base to visit north and south Clare to places we had not visited before such as Poulnabrone Dolmen,Michael Cusack Centre, Burren Perfumery, Vandeleur Walled garden

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sean
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in the West county 10-14 March 2012. the first night we were in a tiny room, no bath even, no ledge or shelf in the bathroom for toiletries. It was beside the lift and extremely noisy during the night.
We asked to change room the next morning and the hotel were happy to oblige, we had a much nicer room with complimentary mineral water and bowl of fruit. Average hotel room though, but nice enough, and standard size bathroom (with bath!)
We had breakfast each morning, bar one which was nice but limited. Full Irish breakfast which was tasty and a range of cereals and 3 juices. Had to wait too long for toast and coffee and one morning we weren't even approached for toast and coffee, after waiting ages we had to get up and find someone to ask. There were no herbal teas, fruit, cheese, yoghurts etc. available. Nevertheless the fried food was good and fresh, even though we came down later for breakfast.
The dinner however, was an absolute disgrace. We had dinner in the town the first night, and as we were tired from touring, decided to eat in the hotel the second night. Never again!! We were informed they had no steak left (at 8.30/8.45), my partner had chicken and I had salmon. It was like bad carvery food which had been left there for hours. Neither of us could even finish, it was so bad.. do NOT eat dinner there.
They had a lovely bright coffee area called Cafe West at the front of the hotel where we enjoyed a selection of coffees and nibbles daily. We had nibbles such as cookies, and on occasion a toasted ham & cheese sandwich, which was nice.

The bar is quite nice, and there was some good music on the Saturday night, we did not use the leisure facilities.

The staff at reception and the cleaning staff were very friendly and efficient. the waiting staff were not, both for the evening we had dinner and each morning at breakfast.

Overall, a very pleasant stay in a nice hotel, but do not eat dinner there. There are so many nice restaurants in the town, which is 5/7 minutes walk away, where dining is a lovely experience. We ate at the Town hall for the remainder of our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms near the lift are quite noisy, and the ones beside the lift are much smaller to accommodate th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We recently stayed in this Hotel and value for money was second to none, with a family of four of us staying in the hotel for just €79 - Great value. The room was excellent and all in all, if I were in Ennis again, I would look no further than the West County,

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
Temple Gate Hotel
Temple Gate Hotel
#3 of 9 in Ennis
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel

Been to Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel? Share your experiences!