“In need of updating”

Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I didn't expect much given some of the reviews so I can't say I was surprised. The good: They let us check in early (11am) which was very helpful given we'd just flown overnight. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is very close to town and it was quiet. The bad: The family room we reserved had old furnishings and and the bathroom had rotting wood around the tub. The hotel rooms need a serious updating (not just putting flat screen tvs in the rooms as they were doing). One of the entrances was blocked by old tvs sitting on the floor. The carpet throughout the hotel is old and dirty. The breakfast was okay but the kids wouldn't eat it. A little air circulation may get rid of all of the flies that were all over the buffet. It was very cold in our room but as it was June I was told the heat is only on from 7-9pm. We stayed one night at the beginning of our trip and were to return for 3 more but cancelled due to the conditions and stayed at a B&B (Railway View House - very nice). One of the main reasons we picked the West County was the pool. The pool area (leisure centre) looked very nice. But be forwarned if you are travelling with kids. We booked a number of hotels for the leisure centre thinking the kids could swim at night after a day of sight seeing, BUT every hotel that had a leisure center did not allow kids to swim passed 6pm and all required swim caps (for everyone). Bottom line, you are probably better to find a B&B with a family room if you have more than 1 child. I rated the leisure center average because we never go to use it since it is off limits passed 6pm to kids.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mpg1063
SineadCusack, Marketing Assistant at Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Mpg1063

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, it is only by such feedback that we endeavour to maintain and improve standards within the hotel. I am delighted to read you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I am glad you enjoyed our location, we are ideally located with being only a few minutes walking distance from the town centre and still in a quiet and accessible location on the outskirts of town.

I am disappointed to read that you did not fully enjoy your recent stay with us. You are correct in saying the hotel is in need of refurbishment. The hotel was purchased by new owners on March 1st who do have an extensive renovation plan in place for the hotel. As you may appreciate it does take time for these plans to be put into action particularly at this busy time of year and indeed with our family rooms being very popular we are carrying out our plans in stages to create minimum disruption to our guests.

I am sorry that you found your bedroom to be cold. It is standard practice in the hotel to limit our heating hours during the summer months as we have received feedback from guests that our bedrooms can retain the heat quite well. We would usually offer our guests a portable heater to be placed in their room if they find it a little cold, I am not sure if this was offered to you and if not I do apologise.

I am also sorry that you were disappointed by the opening times for kids in pool. After receiving feedback similar to your own we have extended the pool opening hours each evening to 7pm for kids. This began on July 1st and response has been great so far.

Once again I am sorry that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations and I do hope you afford us the opportunity to restore your faith in the West County Hotel again in the future.

Sinéad Cusack
Marketing Assistant

Reviewed 3 July 2013

we have stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions over the years, some years we would visit 4-6 times. The rooms and corridors are shabby, the tv did not work properly. We remembered from previous visits a very rude polish?? dark haired girl who worked in the pool/gym. She is still here, even my sister and hubbie commented to me a few months ago about the way she addresses guests. She would work well in an inner city community pool in Dublin not in a place where people come to spend their hard earned cash in a recession! I hadnt mentioned her to my husband and he brought up her rudeness to me over a drink on our first evening. On entering the bar on our first evening , all we could smell was curry sauce, the chip van variety!!!...i was at the bar and beside me there was an american couple eating runny dreadful curry and fajitas. The meat for the fajitas was covered in a red sauce that dripped down the poor womans hands everytime she bit into her fajita! my heart went out to them being subjected to such vile cuisine. We ate in the Old Ground hotel both evenings. The staff the The Old Ground wore crisp white shirts as opposed to off white!! the staff were smiley and very efficient as opposed to the west county lounge staff!!! The food was top class and we decided that on our next visit to Ennis we will be defecting to his hotel. We loved the West County but unfortunately it ends here. Pull up the carpet in the lounge, food innovation is needed in the kitchen, new staff uniforms, a lick of paint and some cleaning and charm school for the girl in the pool area!!!!..PS: i had to cling onto the edge of my bed for dear life as the middle of the bed had caved in!!

Room Tip: The Old Ground Hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank deirdre k
SineadCusack, Marketing Assistant at Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Deirdre K

Thank you for your recent review. We do appreciate you taking to time to post your comments following your recent stay. Feedback whether good or bad will assist us in improving the facilities and services throughout the hotel.

I am disappointed to read about your recent bad experience with us. I have relayed your comments regarding the staff member in the leisure club to the attention of the club manager and can only apologise for the bad customer service you and your family received down there. We value customer service very highly and will be taking measures to ensure this is improved across the board. To help us further in this we would greatly appreciate it if you could contact us directly to speak about your experience in detail, you can email us at sales@westcountyhotel.com.

I am surprised to read your feedback in relation to the curry and fajitas as they are two of our most popular dishes. Feedback from guests on these dishes in invariably very positive.

You are indeed correct regarding the hotel needing refurbishment and improvement. We were purchased by new owners on March 1st. An extensive renovation plan is in place for the hotel. However this will take time and with the hotel being busy in the past four months and the coming summer we are trying to complete these changes with the least disruption to our customers.

I would like to assure you that your comments are being taken into consideration and I hope you afford us the opportunity to restore your faith in the West County Hotel in the future and we look forward to haring from you.

Kind Regards

Sinéad Cusack, Marketing Assistant

Reviewed 2 July 2013

we stayed here recently ,as we were meeting friends in Ennis ,I had stayed here before and it was always a good hotel,but that was about 15 years ago ,I think Nmae rune it now and it shows ,the rooms were fithy,the bathroms were full of dirty mastic filled cracks,there was a large hole in the corner of our bedroom ??? Breakfeast was a complete joke ,the poor american couple beside us were commenting was this Irish Hospitality I dont think so,staff running around ike headless chickens the food was below average ,thats if you got what you asked for ,wont be returning

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ben h

Dear Ben H

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay in the West County Hotel.

We were previously run by Nama but we have been purchased by new owners in the past four months. As you may read from other reviews we do have a renovation plan in place for the hotel but this unfortunately does take time. We are trying to carry out the works with the least amount of disturbance to our customers which is proving a slow process do to the busy summer period.

We would encourage guests to contact reception and or the manager on duty with any problems they may have during their stay so we can attempt to fix them as quickly as possible. I would be delighted if you could contact me directly at the hotel with the number of the room you stayed in so that I can look into getting that room looked at immediately.

It is disappointing to read about your experience during your stay, again if you kindly contact me I can look into what staff we were working during your stay and we can go about improving the experience for our customers.

I do hope you afford us the opportunity to restore your faith in the West County Hotel.

You can email me directly on sales@westcountyhotel.com , I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

that was our second stay in the west county hotel, and it was great like last time, this time we got room on third floor which was great you couldn't hear a thing at night compering to the ground floor room we got last year, many parking spaces outside the hotel, and breakfast absolutely lovely on both mornings and i am a fussy eater so it was great seeing lots of choice for breakfast.

Room Tip: third floor room more quiet then ground floor.

Dear Monikasean

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I am glad you found the breakfast selection good and that we had choices to suit all your party.

We do always appreciate our customers feedback so thank you for sending us yours through this review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the West County Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here for a 3 night break to kick back and relax for a few days.

Checking in all seemed ok place looked nice the receptionist girl was lovely to deal with and very helpful (small blonde haired girl forget her name) On way to the room it was clear this place hasnt spent much on keeping the hotel updated, fusty kind of smell coming from carpets, the dark wood which is all over the hotel is either chipped, scratched or paint peeled away.

Then the room which was ok size but on closer inspection there was hairs around the dressing table, blue moulded tea bags and the bathroom has random hairs on the bath and on the floor. OK so the OH did some quick cleaning and we then put on the tv which in turn didnt work, the porter came and couldnt fix it, while he was trying we went for dinner in the bar which ended up being a bad decision, very poor quality of food and a very dirty eating area.

While in the bar the porter informed us tv is broke and we would have to change room if we wanted a tv so change rooms we did, again another fairly poorly cleaned room which i would say wasnt used for some time time as the dust was so thick on everything and guess what! the tv had very poor signal and was virtually unwatchable.

The hot breakfast food was horrible I could not believe how bad it was, the bacon was something else it was half cooked on one side and a deep purple colour on the other it looked rank and possible close to it best before date and there didnt seem to be many going for it! So it was cereal/toast/yoghurt for us each morning.

I sat and watched some of the young waitresses who were always very busy topping things up/cleaning tables/serving people and on top of that being hounded by their supervisor a small women for no reason which i thought was pretty unfair on the the young girls and the supervisor standing doing nothing even when there were people standing waiting to be seated!

Luckily we didnt spend to much time in the hotel and were only there early morning late evening time, would I stay here again? thats a defo NO, would I recommend it? again thats a defo NO

My overall experience with this hotel is being very very disappointed customer.

Room Tip: You are probably best to avoid altogether if you are looking a good room to be honest.
1  Thank ben b
SineadCusack, Marketing Assistant at Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear BenB

I am happy to read that you received good service from our staff during your stay as we do value customer service very highly.

I am disappointed that you had an un-enjoyable stat with us and can only apologise that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. As you may have seen from other reviews the hotel has been purchased by new owners in the past four months and they do have renovation plans in place for the hotel, but as you will appreciate these do take time to carry out as we try to cause as little disruption to guests as possible. The planned refurbishment will include all public areas including bedroom corridors and bedrooms.

I am surprised to read the bedrooms were dirty, we have indeed had full capacity on a few occasions in the past weeks therefore all rooms would have been occupied. I would really appreciate it if you could contact me directly and let me know which bedrooms you were in and I will investigate it further. You can email me at sales@westcountyhotel.com.

It is disappointing to read about your experience at breakfast. I have I have relayed your comments regarding the food and indeed service with the relevant department managers to be addressed and amended immediately. Again I would appreciate if you could contact me directly to learn more detail of your experience.

Once again I can only apologise for your disappointing stay with us and hope that you do afford us the opportunity to restore your faith in the West County Hotel again in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Reading most of the reviews here, on this facility, you get a sense they will never play 'catch-up' as this is a high volume, Tour Bus Pitstop and they churn folks through here at a very fast clip. It would be hard for ANY hotel to keep the place Looking New, Pin Neat, and Clean.... like many people seem to demand, who have written here.
Our only relationship, was one-time for dinner, in the Bar Dining room, sadly, for our last meal in Ireland-...think it was called "Palmers Pub", or something.. it was not memorable. It was decorated in the dark woods so prevalent in Irish Pubs but, the carpets and upholstery 'looked' dirty and old. The Service was slow, though the Servers very nice. One of them spent more time 'clearing' tables, then waiting them. We started with one server, and then noticed, she was snapped up for service behind the Bar so, we ended up with another girl.

I understand correct, 'slow pour' on Guinness but, it took almost 18 -20 minutes to get a refill and we were seated within 12 feet of the bar. Both my wife and I, still full from a late lunch, ordered the Chicken Wings (actually 9) Dinner for 11.50euro and it was less then spectacular (as Chicken Wings go) and my wife's Cheesecake (3.95euro) was 'mediocre' at best.
As noted before, this is a high volume operation and you can witness the mob in the lobby, & Tour Buses come and go, or see them stacked-up, parked outside. You-get-what-you-get ~ staying or eating here. This facility is about LOCATION, close to Shannon Airport.
The management doesn't have to post an answer; Reading through all the responses - they all start out stating "thank you for writing..." but, there is no sincerity here... new ownership or not - It 'appears' NO One Actually DOES Anything to solve the same-o, same-o problems.

1  Thank BentleyBoy
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The hotel was easily found and is very handily placed to be a base for the whole area - the Cliffs of Moher, Galway, The Burrens, Limerick etc. The town of Ennis itself is picturesque and interesting - so I was pleased with the choice of base.
Our room on the 2nd floor was fine - a rather gloomy view of plant room machinery for the pool but that didn't matter. The bed was really comfortable and I slept well - unusual for me. The outside was quite though one night I was woken up by a guest ----in his "cups" shouting - one can hardly blame the hotel for that. He did shut up and I went back to sleep ok. Loved the shower in the bathroom as it was powerful and good to wake up with.
Reception staff are friendly, efficient and helpful. We ate in both the bar on 2 evenings and in the restaurant on the other. The food was good value - we loved the chicken wings. We had sirloin steak when in the restaurant - the pepper sauce woke me up somewhat but I managed it :) I only ate breakfast once and the breakfast waitress was considerate and helpful - offering to collect things for me (I walk with difficulty) The waitress in the bar was always cheerful and pleasant too.
The pool was a surprise. It is quite a long pool 22 m at least and is divided into lanes so one can swim. It is also child-free from 6pm onwards on weekdays (7 pm on Fridays) There are different areas to "dip" in and a large spa jacuzzi pool. There was a sauna which I didn't use, and I think a steam room though I am not 100% sure on that. One does have to wear a swim cap but the helpful attendant supplied one so I was ok to swim.
The hotel has a relaxed ambience - good to relax at after a day of driving and sightseeing. Can recommend it.

Dear RemFam

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I am glad you found the rooms comfortable and the hotel relaxed after exploring the County Clare scenery.

I am also happy to read that you received friendly and efficient service from our staff. We are always trying to maintain and build on the level of customer service we have in the hotel and feedback from our guests is key in this.

It sounds like you made good use of the leisure centre facilities and I hope this helped you relax and unwind on your break away.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the West County Hotel again soon.

Sinead Cusack, Marketing Assistant

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
Temple Gate Hotel
Temple Gate Hotel
#3 of 9 in Ennis
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel

Been to Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel? Share your experiences!