The Islander's Rest
  • Pool
US$191
US$146
Agoda.com
Blarney Hotel & Golf Resort(Blarney)(Great Value!)
US$153
Trident Hotel Kinsale(Kinsale)
Agoda.com
All reviewssherkin islandhakeislandersbaltimorepintharbourireland
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I think Tina k is a spoilt prat because I I went to this hotel to have dinner and it was fabulous. I have two friends who stayed at this hotel for two nights and they loved it so Tina k you are spoilt and I'd say you're art is bad as well

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Paul O
Reviewed 25 July 2014

spent 4 nights here on a boat on the pontoon. great value for money 20 euro a night with electricity and water . we ate in the restaurant and found the selection good ,specials included pork belly with crispy crakling , thai curry and stew .one of our party has dietry restrictions and the staff were very helpful , one night even the chef came out to discuss options with him .i found the owner and staff very relaxed and the atmosphere very casual ,not a typical hotel atmosphere,exactly what you head west for. loads of pool tables for kids to be entertained.Will def. be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank triggsandkelly
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have just returned from an art course on Shirken Island.
This is my third year to attend this particular course, which would indicate my appreciation of the course.
However my overall experience of staying at THE only hotel on the island has remained each year lacking in certain aspects. A large proportion of staff are very young and inexperienced and appear to have little training. They are very polite and very helpful however they have no experience in dealing with the public, simple tasks such as taking orders from the menu, delivering same orders correctly was very poor.
The menu has not changed over the last three years. "Fish of the day" without fail was the same for my whole stay Hake!! It was the first time I've ever eaten pickled onions and capers in a simple green salad. The vegetables tasted fresh and were very good. But again carrots and cabbage every evening!
Breakfast was very good.
My room was nice and clean and of course the view was amazing.
The manager I think is called Mark who I think owns the hotel, sorely lacks hotel management skills. His overall attitude appears to be a "Faulty Towers Syndrome" We as paying customers are an infringement on him. Total lack of communication and a general feeling of unfriendliness from him made my overall experience very reluctant to returning to stay as a guest at his hotel!
On leaving the hotel I went into the reception area to get my suitcase, the owner who I think is called Mark was approx 1.5 meters from me on his laptop. I asked permission to take my bag and without him moving his eyes from the laptop he said "yes, take it". I said "thank you" and left the reception area without a response from him. As the manager of the hotel I feel he should have if not for the sake of the customer but for the sake of his business acknowledged me, offered help and at least thanked me for staying at his hotel.
Very very poor show.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the sea.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Tina K
484Mark, Owner at The Islander's Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Tina,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Business on Sherkin Island.
We truly value the opinions of our customers and we heartily apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Providing our guests and visitors with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our everyday goal and ambition. We cherish being a warm, welcoming and friendly facility, and hope to make Sherkin a beautiful home away from home at least , we want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for good hospitably and friendliness of Sherkin Island with our visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed, relaxed and wanting to return to us and our Island community.

We have addressed the young employee's training in question. We regularly take on young local extra staff for the Summer, and glad that you found them friendly and courteous by nature.
We can see that taking extra time in training our new staff in taking orders and delivering food will be necessary and sorry that you experienced otherwise. With such a short season a good percentage of or staff are made up of students. We hire extra staff from mid july to the end of August each year to cover the busy period. At the time of your stay we would have just hired a dozen or so student staff.

I'm glad you found the breakfast excellent, As regard to your concerns on the variety of fish available we endeavor to ensure that the best and finest fresh fish is selected daily, and at times that may be of the same variety over a week or more but this is mostly down to supply and demand. Our menus have includes prawns ,Salmon (smoked & fresh) ,Hake ,Haddock ,cod along with seafood chowder .
We do try to have regular changes and seasonal specials added to our daily menu, and as an island business we always try to keep a good selection of standard fare in stock all season.
We as a business must except constructive criticism as this helps to improve our service to our guests who are staying with us for short or long breaks .
We are particularly proud of our sea views over the bay and glad you found your room comfortable and clean.
Most of all though, I am most sorry for any unintended rudeness and lack of due attention you feel you received from myself, the proprietor. At times the long days this time of year catch up with us all and we may not always be at our best.
It is far from my intention to treat visitors to the Islander's Rest with anything but courtesy and good will. Sherkin Island is known for its beauty, scenic tranquility and friendliness, and as the owner of the islanders Rest & Murphy's Pub . I only wish to extend this hospitality.

If you ever wish to come back to Sherkin, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, make my apologies in person,

We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Regards

Mark Murphy,
The Islanders Rest,
Sherkin Island, Co.Cork,
Ireland
Tel: +353 (0)28 20116

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here over night with 3 kids. Location is fantastic. Bedroom was spacious with fabulous views. Breakfast was very good. Dinner was ok. Staff were friendly and very tolerant of children but very little for young kids to do later in evening - limited television and no DVD player. However, overall a very positive experience and would happily go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MelzieH
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We had been to Sherkin to visit friends on several occasions before this visit. We had visited Murphy's Bar, and had enjoyed that, but this was our first opportunity to stay at the Inn. We stayed for three nights and were not disappointed. From the owner Mark, to Finn and Karen, we were treated to Irish hospitality.
Our room was very clean, and the view was spectacular. Also of note, was that the shower was excellent - great water pressure.
We opted for the B&B plan, and breakfasts were more than generous. Best Scrambled eggs I had on our six day visit to Ireland.
As we were here in off season, we usually had the bar to ourselves, though locals would stop by for a pint. As we had been on Sherkin before, it was great to see familiar and friendly faces.
We had dinners at the Inn as well as our breakfasts, and once again, very generous portions.
Over all a great visit to Shekrin and The Islanders Rest

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends