“A great value”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Blarney
Newark, Delaware
“A great value”
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I will state the only negative first. The place was a nightmare to find. But, in their defense, the roads in Ireland could be marked a little more consistently, and the GPS in our rental car must have had maps from 10 years ago as this wasn't the first time it wouldn't take us to where we wanted to go. It took us over an hour to find the place once we got into the area. We finally had to enter the town name into the GPS and then my wife picked a pharmacy in that town and fortunately for us, there was a sign in the shopping center with a arrow heading up the hill through a residential area for the resort. I personally would never have tried this road as it didn't seem like it lead anywhere.

That aside, we were more than happy with our room. The price was very reasonable compared to those in Blarney. We didn't know how we'd fit in at a golf resort as we don't golf, and we are certainly the exact opposite of the country club crowd. Apparently they were running specials because the golfers aren't staying there. It really felt kind of empty for its size.We choose the place for location and price. Once we found it, it was very easy to head into town to find a nice little pub. Our room was very large, modern and clean. We slept like babies on the king sized bed. We didn't eat or drink there except for breakfast. If I recall right I think it was 10 euro pp buffet. Less if you only wanted cold. A bit pricey for the USA, but average in Ireland, if not a bit cheaper. The food was what I would consider better than average and adequate. There was a decent variety and plenty of it.

Our room was very quiet even though there were two tour buses that came in that night shortly after us. The tour buses left very early in the am and thankfully they put them up on the first floor. We didn't hear them until we went down for breakfast.They were a noisy old bunch first thing in the am.

They have pay by the minute internet access in the lobby if you need it. 8 euro an hour I believe. Now that we know where it is, we would definitely go back if the price was still a bargain. I want to say $72 US, maybe a few dollars more. Thats cheap for Ireland especially so close to a larger city like Blarney.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I have to say don't believe everything you read on trip advisor the blarney golf resort is probably the best hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying in food,rooms,staff etc everything was brill the value for money there is unbelievable my kids ate for free in the clubhouse and the restaurant was nothing short of exquisite well done
Regards

• Stayed June 2011

To whom it may concern,
I stayed at the blarney golf resort over the may bank holiday weekend and I have to say the place was brilliant,the food was so sooooooooooo good presented well and served so efficiently by really polite caring friendly staff,my room was cowsy and spacious and at night you wouldn't hear a sound so peaceful and quiet I slept like a baby in my massive double bed,10 out of 10 to the staff and management I will be back
Regards

• Stayed May 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 June 2011

This hotel looks as it is about to close. We had a big room where windows did not close properly ( we were on the ground floor), with dirty towels and dirty duvet.
The food in the lounge is very poor and overpriced. I had a chicken open sandwich served on a plate full of dust with cold chips priced at 8 euro...
The place has a SPA, but after I have seen the cleaning standards I have decided to give it a miss....Avoid if you can.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
blarneygolf, Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for recent review on Blarney Golf Resort. Your feedback is important to us and is detremental to the success of the hotel.

If you would be so kind to contact me direct and we could discuss this matter further I would gratefully appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Eamonn Murphy
eamonn.murphy@blarneygolfresort.com
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Having read the previous reviews i was looking forward to staying at the hotel during my business trip. I consider the room cleanliness, room comfort and restaurant food possibly the most important criteria during a business trip. I was very happy with the room as it was very clean and comfortable, but the food (specifically breakfast) was unfortunately of a below average standard. The continental section consisted of 3 cereals, some museli and a plate of fruit, this compares very poorly to other hotels in the area. I am sorry to say that neither myself or any of my colleagues would consider staying there again considering what is available at other hotels.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank busytraveller25
blarneygolf, Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 22 May 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Blarney Golf Resort your feedback is important to us. I was dissapointed to read your review and I hope my findings give you some comfort.

I understand limited items were on the buffet on your arrival to the restaurant due to one of our tours being in for breakfast at the time, I also understand that we offered you and your colleague everything from the list I have highlighted below, and did so for the rest of your stay. We do offer a more substantial breakfast than you have stated and I believe that you and your colleague were made aware on the first morning.

We offer a selection of freshly cut fruit, 7 different type of cereals, yogurts, freshly baked Croissant' freshly baked bread rolls, a selection of juices a selection of dried fruits and obviously a variety of hot items, we also offer a al a Carte breakfast menu which has the likes of Eggs benedict, Poached egss ect and 6 other items, I do believe this was offered to you on the first day of your stay.

Thank you once again for the feedback and If there is anything further I can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Eamonn Murphy
Deputy General Manager
eamonn.murphy@blarneygolfresort.com
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Stayed here over the Bank holiday weekend, we had a brilliant weekend, the food was amazing, " master chef standard". Lovely friendly and helpful staff. thanks again for a great time.
McDermott/Goodman

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Tallaght, Ireland
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Firstly my first impression of this hotel was it was mediocre at best - however I put this down to being tired - as we arrived later than expected due to the difficulty in finding the hotel (I have to say I am obviously not the only one - this was already mentioned in a previous review) However, this was not to be case. On one specific day - myself and my wife returned to our room late in the afternoon (around 4 pm) to find that our room was not made up. I called reception and found that "because of a full house" the housekeeping staff were behind schedule - I find that a ridiculous argument for a start - but what irritated me more was the lack of an apology from the receptionist. Also she said that she would send down towels - which did arrive with the house keeping staff over an hour later.

The hotel is also very badly located - it is at least a 10 minute drive from Blarney - and at least 5 minutes from Tower (which is the address given) - you cannot walk down to the Tower village due to lack of footpaths either - so you are pretty much a captive audience unless you get a taxi or as I said drive (a view shared with the number of taxi drivers we used) . Nightlife - none - shopping - none - food - was ok to be honest - but I would not want to be paying those prices every night , might be a decent golf course not sure as I do not play.

And this might seem like I am just totally down on the hotel - but the beds were too soft - which did nothing for my bad back.

My advise - do not stay here - Blarney is a lovely town - and there are at least 2 decent hotels in the town itself - which looked quite nice when we stopped for food.

Room Tip: Bascially my advise would be don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nevyn666
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blarney
Blarney Castle Hotel
#1 of 7 in Blarney
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Centre
Clayton Hotel Cork City

Been to Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure? Share your experiences!