“Fantastic place - brilliant value” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Blarney
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place - brilliant value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

Very upmarket hotel with large well equipped rooms and great staff. Restaurant a little pricey but cordon-bleu standard. Well worth a visit and incredible value for money

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Boyle, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

We stayed in one the hotel's Golf Lodges & I couldn't recommend it highly enough. The lodge had 2 comfortable ensuite bedrooms upstairs & a sitting room, kitchen & toilet downstairs. One of the rooms had a balcony. If I was to pick one flaw it would be that there was no washing machine but the kitchen had every other appliance & I cooked there regularly.
We used the swimming pool every day, it was clean & safe. We ate in the Golf Club once & it was fine & in the Hotel on another night & it was fabulous. All staff were polite & helpful.
The location of the hotel is a good 10-15min drive from Blarney which we didn't mind. We were lucky enough to enjoy blazing sunshine for most of our week-long stay & each day was spent exploring the area & the rest of beautiful County Cork.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Bountiful, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

We booked a special deal on expedia.com the night before. It was a spectacular deal, about $63 USD for a king size room. The room was HUGE by Irish standards and pretty comfortable.

The room was quiet and we slept well, although the beds were kinda beat-down.

The bathroom was huge and spa-like. Powerful shower. Best shower in Ireland.

The hotel was tricky to find in the dark and in a pouring rainstorm. We trusted in the GPS and everything worked out ok, but there is NO way we would have found the place without GPS.

I thought the breakfast was better than most of the Irish breakfasts we had had in any other hotels in Ireland. They have a lovely breakfast dining room and tasty food.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank princesscr
Huddersfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed here to celebrate my mother's 80th in September and we enjoyed it so much we had to return with my parents for a few days. The rooms are really lovely. Beautifully clean and very comfortable. I agree with a recent review that a coat of pain outside would help but that didn't spoil anything. Staff are pleasant and attentive and all our needs were met. The breakfast is the best we have ever enjoyed and the retaurant is an absolute delight.. it is true that you are not actually in Blarney but it is not far and from what we could see most guests came by car. The Golf Club is a great alternative to the hotel bar.
Only one negative and it really is no fault of this excellent hotel and the staff there but I must warn other visitors.
On arrival my Visa credit card was 'swiped' and I assumed this was as usual in hotels for any additional expenses like papers or drinks etc.I was told no money was taken. In fact £545 was blocked on my card for 7 days. We were only staying 4 and on departure paid the £300 bill as well so for some time over £800 was out of my hands. The distress and upset this caused because neither us or the hotel knew what had happened not to mention the hours of phone calls costing me even more money spoiled the whole experience and because of this we will not return but that is only my personal position and I would not be prevented from reccommending the hotel to other visitors.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
blarneygolf, Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Blarney Golf Resort. Your feedback is important to us and detrimental to the success of the hotel. I was glad to read it was your second visit and that you enjoyed your stay even more so than the previous time you were with us, and I do hope you will return.

If I could address your comments regarding your credit card, I can understand your frustration and I do empathise with you. As a hotel policy we give the guest the option of paying up front on arrival or taking a pre authorisation on the credit card, this is not a payment it is a holding deposit and is held on the card for 3 - 5 working days on the card, this is done to guarantee payment to the hotel and that the funds are available to be debited on check out. The Hotel procedure on check out would be to then complete the pre authorisation which was taken originally which means it then debits the card accordingly. The reasons a pre authorisation is taken is too allow the guests to pay on departure and charge to there room rather than paying cash through out there stay for everything, and in return a pre authorisation guarantees payment to the hotel.

The reason your card was pre authorised for €600 is because the total amount for the two rooms you had booked was €600. I do believe the hotel was not at fault and that Adriana did everything with in her power to assist you in this matter, she contacted merchant services (who provide our credit card machines) and they explained to her which was relayed to you, that your credit card provider was at fault in this situation and not the hotel. I do hope my explanation gives you some satisfaction and I really do hope you return to Blarney Golf Resort.

If you require any further assistants in this matter please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Eamonn Murphy
eamonn.murphy@blarneygolfresort.com
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

I will state the only negative first. The place was a nightmare to find. But, in their defense, the roads in Ireland could be marked a little more consistently, and the GPS in our rental car must have had maps from 10 years ago as this wasn't the first time it wouldn't take us to where we wanted to go. It took us over an hour to find the place once we got into the area. We finally had to enter the town name into the GPS and then my wife picked a pharmacy in that town and fortunately for us, there was a sign in the shopping center with a arrow heading up the hill through a residential area for the resort. I personally would never have tried this road as it didn't seem like it lead anywhere.

That aside, we were more than happy with our room. The price was very reasonable compared to those in Blarney. We didn't know how we'd fit in at a golf resort as we don't golf, and we are certainly the exact opposite of the country club crowd. Apparently they were running specials because the golfers aren't staying there. It really felt kind of empty for its size.We choose the place for location and price. Once we found it, it was very easy to head into town to find a nice little pub. Our room was very large, modern and clean. We slept like babies on the king sized bed. We didn't eat or drink there except for breakfast. If I recall right I think it was 10 euro pp buffet. Less if you only wanted cold. A bit pricey for the USA, but average in Ireland, if not a bit cheaper. The food was what I would consider better than average and adequate. There was a decent variety and plenty of it.

Our room was very quiet even though there were two tour buses that came in that night shortly after us. The tour buses left very early in the am and thankfully they put them up on the first floor. We didn't hear them until we went down for breakfast.They were a noisy old bunch first thing in the am.

They have pay by the minute internet access in the lobby if you need it. 8 euro an hour I believe. Now that we know where it is, we would definitely go back if the price was still a bargain. I want to say $72 US, maybe a few dollars more. Thats cheap for Ireland especially so close to a larger city like Blarney.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

I have to say don't believe everything you read on trip advisor the blarney golf resort is probably the best hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying in food,rooms,staff etc everything was brill the value for money there is unbelievable my kids ate for free in the clubhouse and the restaurant was nothing short of exquisite well done
Regards

• Stayed June 2011
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

To whom it may concern,
I stayed at the blarney golf resort over the may bank holiday weekend and I have to say the place was brilliant,the food was so sooooooooooo good presented well and served so efficiently by really polite caring friendly staff,my room was cowsy and spacious and at night you wouldn't hear a sound so peaceful and quiet I slept like a baby in my massive double bed,10 out of 10 to the staff and management I will be back
Regards

• Stayed May 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blarney
Blarney Castle Hotel
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,282 reviews

Been to Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure? Share your experiences!