“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Blarney
Calgary
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We are at a loss to figure out why a rating agency would give this establishment a 4 star rating. It just does not come together. Workmanship and materials used in construction are very poor. It appears to have been done "on the cheap" and haphazardly. Indeed, parts of the hotel look and feel like a DYI project gone awry. Of particular concern are things like the apparent use of wall tiles on bathroom floors. This results in a very slippery surface when wet and in our opinion is dangerous. Our room was large but sparsely and cheaply furnished. There were no reading lights. The TV remote sensor was located behind the TV set and it was impossible to use unless we moved the TV (a large CRT unit). The bed was dreadfully soft. Facecloths were not supplied. The breakfast buffet had a minimal selection. On a positive note, the staff was helpful and friendly. No complaints about service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AvidTravellerCalgary
Conor O, General Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear AvidTravellerCalgary

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review and thank you for your positive comments with regards to staff ..

I can assure you that only high quality materials were used when buliding the Resort and whilst the tiles in the bathrooms may look similar they are in fact two different types of tile as required by Irish buliding regs. There is also a floor matt/ towel provided in all bathrooms.

I hope that this did not deter too much from your travels around Ireland

Conor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Upon check in, one is greeted by a sign proclaiming 4 AA stars along with other awards including one from trip advisor. The AA really need to come and take at least two of those stars back. The mattress on the bed was so badly collapsed, that when I sat on it, I thought it was a water bed. You couldn't lie on your side in the bed because your head and feet would be over a foot or 30 cm above your hips, very uncomfortable and it have me backache for days afterwards. The temperature control on the shower did not work, so you had a choice between tepid or cold water. The lighting in the room was so dim that reading a book was not an option. Still it helped to hide the generally grubby state of the paintwork and carpet. In the bar the food was mediocre at best, while the serving staff were inattentive and dour, giving the impression that we were inconveniencing them with our presence. Breakfast was poor, even the coffee was lousy. In no way does this hotel meet the criteria set out by the AA to rate four stars and I shall be forwarding a copy of this review to them in the hope that they reassess this property as soon as possible.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Damien C
Conor O, General Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hi Damien C.

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review , I am sorry that you didnt enjoy your stay. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment and the replacement of bedding is part of it. I have looked at the temperature log during your stay and can report that the water temp was as high as 40c during your stay. I am sure that if you had contacted reception we could have helped and perhaps organised a room move . I would be delighted if you would consider returning to us following our refurbisment . If i can be of any furhter assiatance please do not hesitate to contact me .. conorotoole@blarneygolfresort.com

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night the room was sensational large spacious and a super comfy bed when we checked in the staff member was very helpful.
We thought it was awesome until we had dramas with the wifi so went down a few hours after checking in and got the night clerk and she pretty much wiped us and a dirty snot rag, So rude and un helpful.
We were going to book for another night ,she pretty much sealed the deal to stay somewhere else in the bat of an eyelid.
If you looking for a good deal this is the place it's comfy clean. I just got person who obviously got a person who has the personality of a door handle.
Other then her it was ok.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear steve m

Many thanks for taking the time to submit you review and thank you for your positive comments. I have spoken to the staff member involved whom delivered below standard service , they have in turn asked me to apoligse on their behalf. I do hope that this incident didn't take from your visit to Ireland.

Stafford Springs, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is a one star hotel at best in much need of upgrades. Townhouses are very run down.
Additionally, we booked three separate rooms. They were over booked and decided to "upgrade" us to a townhouse.....we were a party of 5 adults and the townhouses only sleep 4 adults. When we complained and asked for our confirmed reservation rooms(over 6 months in advance).. They told us they were totally booked and that they would add a cot to our townhouse. This was absolutely not acceptable so we demanded a second townhouse which they agreed to. We unfortunately had to stay here two nights. We were supposed to be on a 4 star tour of Ireland for 12 days and this was by far the worst hotel on our journey. The breakfast was poor and the wait staff in the restaurant was below average and more interested in setting up tables for dinner, than attending to their breakfast customers. If you ever find an Ireland tour on Travelzoo and one of the listed hotels is the Blarney Golf and Spa Resort, pass this deal by.......the hotel is very run down, in the middle of nowhere and the breakfast is the worst we had in Ireland.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank CTLAKELADY
Conor O, General Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear CTLAKELADY

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review , I would like to aplogise for the lack of care and service which you recieved it is not accepatble . The misallocation of rooms was as a result of a breakdown in communication between reservations and the front desk . With regard to the lodges we have commenced a full refurbishment program with a view to upgrading the product . I do hope that this didn't take from your trip to Cork . If you are ever in the Cork area again pls contact me conor.otoole@blarneygolfresort.com to give me an opportunity to make amends.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I went there for my boyfriends bday 3rd of may 2014checked reviews after purchasing the tickets (i know lol)and was really in shock thinking we will get there and it will be crap,but reality is that it turned out to be great.room was really big,plus balcony, very clean,beds were very soft and comfortable(2single together but really felt like a big
bed and had a great sleep for 2nights) swimming pool facilities very clean that gets a 10 from me.dinner was amazing as well,staff were great.aparently the place was bought by someone just 3 weeks before we arrived so I think they doing great so far.there was a problem with water at 9:30 am but was fixed in half hour while we had breakfast,i really dont get people complaining about every bit,get real and enjoy your stay ,they are working on it obviously,they just got the place lol.we had a car so it was a 5min drive to blarney castle,taxi is €10 to blarney village.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ks S
Conor O, General Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Ks S

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Blarney Golf Resort in the near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

When we arrived at the hotel, they told us they'd upgraded us to a suite because it was our honeymoon. Our suite was bigger than our apartment in Dijon, with a huge bed, a sitting room and 2 bathrooms. The swimming pool, jacuzzi, hammam and sauna were just what we needed. The staff were lovely too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear DenisLAHAYE

Many thanks for your kind words , I am delighted that you choose to spend some of your honey moon with us .

Palm Cove, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed here for three nights for my birthday weekend! The room was large and very clean. The food at the bar was delicious and had nice hardworking staff! The jacuzzi pool sauna and steamroom were very nice, large, and relaxing. By far the best was the staff!! They helped us with coordinate info for our Gps, directions to the coast, and top places to go out during the evenings and no matter how busy they were and how many questions we had they never made us feel like a bother. By far the best resort I've stayed at! In the good words of Arnold, I'll be back!!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear scottm300

Many thanks for your kind words and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Conor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blarney
Blarney Castle Hotel
The Kingsley
The Kingsley
#5 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,075 reviews

Been to Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure? Share your experiences!