“Could do with being updated!”

Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Blarney
Dublin, Ireland
“Could do with being updated!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel and grounds were nice and have good potential but the hotel could do with a bit of an overhaul I think. Room was spotless, bed was not the comfiest but it did the job! The hair dryer and TV in our room were not working and we did call reception twice but they never got fixed, though it didn't bother us that much to be honest! Location of the hotel is good if you want to see Blarney castle, but there's not much else around. Would not imagine staying here without a car is a good idea, as it's about a 15/20 min drive into cork city. Swimming pool area and that were grand, had a fantastic back massage also. Breakfast buffet was nice. Staff were very friendly

• Stayed June 2014
Conor O, General Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear ElaineM19

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review and thank you for your positive comments . Apologies for not replacing the hairdryer when informed, I will discuss this with the front office team. If you are visiting the Blarney area in the future please do not hesiate to contact me . conor.otoole@blarneygolfresort.com

Conor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Waterford City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Where to start?

The good: the Hotel is lovely and situated about a mile outside Blarney. The food is lovely, the staff couldn't be more helpful, and the facilities (overall) were very good.

My wife had a back, shoulder and neck massage and she found it to be excellent. Very quiet, even though there were families with children. The grounds are immaculate and the hotel is very pleasing to the eye.

Some (minor) quibbles:

When we headed to our bedroom we were greeted with a sign saying that the WiFi and TV in the guest rooms and lodges was "being upgraded". What this translated into is that there was NO WiFi, and the TV service (ten channels) was mediocre.

Speaking as a network engineer, there is no excuse for WiFi being out. At all. 3G reception was borderline and it was extremely annoying to say the least.

The bar is not fit for purpose, as it only accommodates around 50 people. The restaurant in comparison was very large.

We stayed in a room with a balcony (217) and the room was quite acceptable, with one exception - a tear in the join of a carpet which is very dangerous.

Lastly, some chairs in the restaurant were badly stained, as the material on them isn't really suitable for the environment.

Overall it was a pleasant experience and we will be back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eamonn B
Dear Eamonn B

Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are in the process of refurbishment and an infrastructure upgrade is a large portion of same. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Blarney in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was a very nice hotel, we got our room at a discount, so worth the money, although I wouldn't want to pay full price for it! The staff were nice, friendly and informative. Restaurant staff were just as good! Parking wasnt an issue for us, as some other reviewers have mentioned. We didnt have any time to spend in the fitness center/spa, but I looked in on the pool, seemed nice to me.

If you like stars and the night sky, this is a great place to be at night, as there are almost no lights around the resort at night, you have a great view of the sky! Astronomers and amateurs would be delighted! You can even ask the staff to turn out the few remaining ones for 15 mins or so (they cant do much longer than that) for a better view.

Say a fox one evening after dinner, wandering about the property, undoubtedly on a hunting expedition.

Withing a ten minute drive of Blarney Castle & Gardens, so a very good starting point if you want to get there early (as I advise you do).

They have a great vending machine, including electrical adapters for us tourists from N America.
As for outlets themselves, I found a few about the room, 2 in the cabinet where the kettle is located, 1 under each bedside lamp, 1 on the wall by the floor lamp, 1 next to the bathroom on the wall, and I believe one by the desk. All in all, enough outlets for me. It seems many others werent satisfied with the number of outlets in the rooms, but I count 5. If you cant get by with 5 possible sources of electricity...

As for the hot water, you may need to let it run for a bit. One morning I got up when it was 7 deg. C outside and it took about 10 mins before I could take a hot shower. That was fine with me, time to have a coffee and smoke before showering! I informed the staff that the piping at that end of the building could use some insulation to prevent long waits for others to shower.

Nice hotel, good staff, amazing place, not the most modern, but good all the same. Many locals seem to come here, live music Fri and Sat nights at the bar. So I am pleased to offer my rating of 4!

Room Tip: Suites have a balcony for you smokers out there. Wifi worked all over, no problems
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jay a
Dear jay a

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review , I have shared your positive comments with the team, whom are always very happy to hear that our guests loved their stay. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Blarney in the future.

Newry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was our second 5 day holiday in this hotel, having stayed last year also mid- July. We all had a lovely time & agreed although we didn't have much to complain about last year, we thought the standard in the hotel was even better. We had two three course evening meals in the restaurant which were excellent ( thank you Mark for looking after us) as was the Sunday buffet. The staff like last year were excellent and were very attentive. Breakfast was very good & when we commented low fat milk was not available, the staff made sure we had it every morning thereafter.
Perhaps a bigger TV in the bar area would be an asset especially when the World Cup final is on. All three couples said we would return again in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PJKNewry
Dear PJKNewry.

Many thanks for returning to us for your break , your comments re our staff and facilites , are greatly appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed in Blarney Golf Resort Hotel for two nights at end of June to celebrate my birthday and had a super time. Lovely location, nice and isolated but only a short drive to everything you want. Hotel had everything you want for a relaxing, romantic break. We went swimming, had spa treatments, walked around the grounds, had a drink on our balcony watching rabbits and foxes playing in the distance. Ate in the bar one night and in the restaurant the other night. Restaurant had a great deal on, €19.95 for two courses and food was delicious both nights. Bedroom was like an apartment, a bedroom area with a large bed, a seating/office area & the balcony. The staff were really helpful and efficient. Came home totally rested!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony - it was fabulous
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JOS455.

Many thanks for taking the time to convey your positive comments regarding your recent stay . I am delighted that you enjoyed your birthday and I look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

After a long journey on motorbikes we arrived to a very warm welcome from the receptionist who booked a table for a evening meal. When we opened the door to the lodge we were not disappointed. It had a sitting room with a lovely kitchen/dinner. The two bedrooms were very spacious both with ensuite. When the food arrived it looked so lovely, but unfortunately it was not very good and quite pricey. If you want good good just pop down the road to Aunties pub which is excellent, and far cheaper. Upon reading the info, you will need to pay for a swimming cap which is compulsory. So a little disappointed that we could go,swimming. If you want to go self catering then this is brill and is within easy reach of approx 10mins to Blarney Castle. So come on Blarney Golf Resort get your food sorted out or change your price to reflect the quality.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank shell e
Dear shell e

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review and thank you for your more than positive comments. I am however suprised that you found our food offering expensive as we offer more value for money that most in the larger cork area. Please drop me a mail if visiting the Blarney area in the future.conor.otoole@blarneygolfresort.com

Kind regards
County Wicklow, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Myself and my husband stayed in the Blarney Golf Resort hotel for 2 nights at the end of June 2014 to celebrate our 7th Wedding anniversary. I will start with the positives ... While we were happy with the overall hotel size, cleanliness and decor and my back massage with Trish in the spa on the saturday was gorgeous, we were very disappointed with the hotel bar in terms of service, food quality and size. On the friday night we went into the bar which we found very small for the size of the hotel, it seemed to sit approximately 45 people when full that I could count. There were 3 tables free when we arrived but they all had dirty plates on them. We were left standing at the bar for quite a few minutes waiting to order our drinks with no eye contact being made by the bar staff (2) or any acknowledgments that we were even standing there (and it was not busy at this time). While waiting for our drinks I had to ask for one of the tables to be cleared off so we could sit down. We then had another wait to order our food, at which time I decided to go up to the bar to order it myself as no-one was stopping at our table to take the order from us! At the bar there was another person waiting and I made a joke that this seemed to be a self service bar! (which is what it felt like). Both myself and my husband ordered the fish and chips and unfortunately they were not great quality at all and were not finished. In regard to relaxing with a drink it turned into a bit of a joke as the Heineken was terrible - it did not taste like Heineken, had no head & was flat as a pancake. It was also served in plain unbranded pint glass with no widget to keep it alive. We asked for a Heineken glass and were told by the young waiter there were no clean ones. On the next pint we asked for a Heineken glass again and were told they did not have any and would we like it in a carlsberg glass instead! this pint was just as bad as the first one, we then decided to switch to bottled Heineken and were told the fridge had just been restocked and the bottles were warm! On Saturday morning we were woken at 7.30-8am to a constant noise of machinery outside our balcony window, which turned out to be a cherry picker with its engine running while men varnished the overhang of the roof outside our balcony! We found the breakfast good and the restaurant it was being served in bright, airy and big. We however did not go back into the bar for the rest of our stay and chose to pay a taxi to take us to and from Blarney town on Saturday evening & night for food and drink there instead. (€10 each way). Attention to detail and customer service are so important in this day and age and unfortunately these are the weak points that we experienced on our weekend in this hotel. We will not go back to the Blarney Golf and Spa resort as we definitely do not feel that it provided or we received the 4* service rating that it claims to have.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gillian M
Conor O, General Manager at Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Gillian M
Many thanks for your positive comments with regards to your stay , I am sorry that our refurbishment works detracted from this . I have spoken at lenght to the beverage service staff and on foot we have commenced a refesher course in customer care. If you are every visiting the Blarney area in the future pls contact myself to allow me the opportunity to display to you the level of customer care which we here at Blarney Golf Resort strive to achieve. conor.otoole@blarneygolfresort.com

Conor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blarney
Blarney Castle Hotel
The Kingsley
The Kingsley
#5 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,056 reviews

Been to Blarney Hotel Golf & Leisure? Share your experiences!