“Good, but not great...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Good, but not great...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here the night of Friday 6th December as part of a weekend break in Cork. First impressions of the hotel were very positive - though dated in places, the premises were clean and well maintained. The staff at Front Desk were excellent from start to finish - they couldn't have done more to help us. A special mention must go to Patrick (the Night Manager/GSC on duty) whose service was exemplary; we ordered a pizza from the late room service menu which arrived later than expected, but Patrick apologised, explaining that this was due to the oven requiring time to heat up, and offered us complimentary mineral water and no tray charge as compensation, which was a lovely and very well received gesture.

One of the highlights of our stay here was the massive hydrotherapy pool. Though in need of a minor face lift, the pool featured multiple massaging water jets and Jacuzzi booths which were ideal for relaxing after a busy day's sight-seeing around Cork city (approx. 10-15 minutes from the hotel by taxi). Be advised that all pool users - male and female - are required to wear swimming caps in the pool area; should you not have your own, you are required to purchase one at the spa reception (2.55 euros each) which you can keep as a souvenir.

Breakfast was rather disappointing, I'm sad to report. Despite it being reasonably quiet (we came down to breakfast at 10:00am and the breakfast room was more than half empty), it took a while for our server to acknowledge us and take our tea and coffee order; when she did, her uniform was in a dreadful state (stains everywhere on her blouse, didn't convey the best of impressions) and her tone was rather brusque. The cooked items (especially sausages and bacon) were cold (scrambled eggs were good though) and the selection of cold meats, smoked salmon and other options available was rather limited (we'd previously experienced some amazing buffets at other Radisson Blu properties before coming here, so our expectations were rather high).

All in all, we had a nice time and I would consider staying here again, provided improvements were made to the breakfast (and perhaps not be so strict about the swimming caps)!

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the rear of the hotel - we had one of these and it was very quiet...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanMcD77
Edel C, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork and your wonderful comments in relation to my colleague Patrick, who was delighted to receive your feedback.

I was disappointed to read of your breakfast experience with us and I have relayed your feedback to the Management of the hotel.

In relation to wearing swimming caps, there are specific Health & Safety Regulations which require all pool users to wear a swim cap when using our swimming pool.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Polish first
Teddington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have now stayed here on a number of occasions. It has the benefit of not having to navigate the city to park the car and it is but a short distance to the main road to Dublin, Cork or Waterford. The reception staff were more tha helpful on this occasion as my suitcase needed some TLC. The leisure centre is worth a visit. The only drawbacks are that in its design it lacks any character and the meals in the resturant are formulaic.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Edel C, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this review, 6 December 2013

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I was delighted to read that you found our staff to be helpful.

I will relay all of your feedback to the team here at the hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to the Radisson in the future should you return to Cork.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I used this hotel this week, while visiting a company in the nearby business park. For me it was ideally located and about 20 minutes from the airport. The gentleman who booked me in was polite and friendly and happy to help. As I was late arriving I chose to eat in the room, again the food was good and the staff polite. The only down side was there was no bottled water in the room. There was a fridge in my room, but it was not stocked. Breakfast is a buffet like many hotels, again the staff friendly and the service good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I will relay your feedback to the rest of the team here.

Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Went for an overnight stay with 3 friends. We did the girls just wanna have fun package which included bnb, dinner, 2 spa treatments and a cocktail on arrival. The hotel itself is a good bit out from town but its not too expensive when you get a group taxi. The hotel itself is beautiful. The reception area is all decorated for Christmas and looks fab.The rooms are spacious with comfortable beds and a walk in shower. The cocktail on arrival was a sex on the beach.. very tasty but had zero alcohol in it. We had a two course dinner in the hotel restaurant. We booked in for 8.30pm and there was nobody else in the restaurant so very little atmosphere. The menu choice is very limited but what we got was gorgeous.. crab cakes and a steak dinner. They could do with investing in proper steak knives though I like mine well done and found it a bit tough to cut. For spa treatments I got my eyebrows and nails done and the beauticians were both lovely and very professional. The relaxation room is lovely aswell very peaceful i nearly fell asleep! The breakfast is probably the best i've ever had in a hotel.. hot, great choice and wonderful presentation. Had a really good say and would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank miakav86
Edel C, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this review, 19 November 2013

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have relayed your feedback in relation to the coctail that you ordered to the Bar Manager.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was at meetings for a company in the Eastgate Business park - the hotel is more or less on the campus. Its close by and it has everything you need. Full service hotel without the high prices. Free fantastic breakfast - great food, friendly and helpful staff - free wifi (which is a checklist item for me) I cant find anything not to like about it. The pricing is reasonable and its a good value for business people especially if you are wanting to be near the east gate business park. I checked in and the staff contacted me and said - how about we move you to this better room? Who does that in the US? They helped me move to a better upgraded room without me asking for it and carried my stuff - and get this - would not accept a tip. The culture here is service oriented and customer oriented - this would rarely if ever happen in the US. Wonderful service - would I stay anywhere else in Cork - probably not.

Room Tip: away from the bar - the music noise can get loud. Just ask staff for a quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I was delighted to read your review of the hotel along with the kind words in relation to our wonderful team here at the hotel and the level of service that we provide.

Front Office Manger
County Clare, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

The room and bathroom were very clean, aesthetically pleasing and spacious with a nice contemporary look. We really enjoyed the king size bed with amazingly comfortable pillows. We had drinks at the bar in the evening where we met Martin who made me a delicious daiquiri. He made our stay unforgettable through his kindness and helpfulness. He took time to speak to us despite being busy and offered us help with things to do in Cork. We felt he genuinely cared about us. He even came to greet us at breakfast the next morning and wish us a pleasant day. The Island Grill bar food was really good and we would definitely recommend their pizzas!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank FenGr
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork..

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will relay your feedback to Martin who will be delighted with your kind words.

WATERFORD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Would just like to say a big thank you to all at reception who made my stay very pleasant. They were all very helpful when i need help and when i asked for any information They all could not be more helpful from the time i checked in to the time left.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I was delighted to read your comments in relation to our Front Office Team. The friendliness of our staff is of the utmost importance to us here at the hotel.