“Just average hotel catered more for business travellers”

Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel from the website looks much nicer than it is in real life. But for the price I guess one cannot complain too much. The comfort level of the bed was inadequate and the room a bit noisy with the sound of every closing door very audible. Our breakfast was not included so we purchased breakfast at 30 euro for 2 everyday during our stay. The service was poor and disorganised and please for the price don't serve a waffle half-frozen with some syrup on a plate as part of the special order menu. I will say the gym was very nice for a hotel which brought up the rating of our overall experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Edel C, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Mbryant73,

I was disappointed to read of your experience during your stay with us.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please dont hesitate to contact myself directly at 021 4297000.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We chose to stay here as we have been yo a few other radisson blu hotels and loved them. This one did not live up to the high standards of the others.
Check in was fine. Got to our non-smoking room and it was clean and well decorated maybe a little dated but nice. We had a drink in the bar in the evening and headed up to the room and realised how hot the room was tried to turn off the heating which did not seem to work used a plug in air cooler which we had to leave on all nite to at least have a bit of air we just got used to the clicking!!! The press which hides the fridge came off the hinges when we opened it too. In the morning we opened the window and the curtains to and on the window ledge there was an aray of fag butts... yuck!!! And trying to have a shower without flooding the whole bathroom... well we didn acheive tat.
I informed the receptionist off all these so i do hope something is done.
Sorry to say we wont be returning!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katefitzy

Dear Katefitzy,

I was disappointed to read of your experience during your stay with us.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly at 021 4297000.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Overall this is a excellent hotel, maintained to a high standard with excellent staff.

I will write two reviews here, firstly on my overnight stay a few months back and more recently we had our wedding on this hotel.

1. Over night stay

We stayed here to get a feel for the hotel.
The hotel is located approximately a 20 minute drive to the city and less than 10 minutes to the dunkettle interchange. It would make a good base for business customers and tourists.
The hotel is a modern build, with the original house still remaining.

The staff were excellent, it's quiet obvious that the hotel management do a great job training the staff as every member of staff do a great job.

The double room was spacious and immaculate.

The onsite gym is small but well equipped and the swimming pool is a nice size, the jets around the edge of the pool are a nice feature.

We ate in the restaurant during our stay and have had lunch several times in the past, we have always found the food to be excellent.

2. Wedding review

Deciding which hotel to use for your wedding is a tough decision, we viewed 8 hotels before deciding on the radision blu.
We wanted a hotel that we could trust to deliver on the day, and a hotel that we could with which we could negotiate all the elements of wedding day in an open and honest manner.
The radisson really delivered and we decide to have both our wedding ceremony and our wedding reception there too.

The wedding organiser Amy is sincere, warm and professional. Her follow up work was excellent, anytime we asked a question and she didn't have an immediate answer she followed up with an email within hours.
She guided us through the planning process and invited us to view wedding and civil ceremonies early in the day when everything was setup.

For the tasting the food exceed our expectations and we were waited on by the legendary Pierre (aka the loveable French man). He provided us with advice during the tasting and he was also present on our wedding day.

On the run up to the wedding Amy had comprehensive checklists and answered all those last minute questions.

On the morning of the wedding I walked around the 3 rooms for the ceremony, drinks reception and the wedding reception. Everything was as we requested.

Our day went like clockwork and we spend our day having fun and socialising with our guests.

The format of the day was civil wedding ceremony in pre-reception area, drinks reception in ditchley house(including jazz trio provided by hotel), wedding reception and afters in the main room(including candy cart provided by hotel). A late bar was provided in the pre-reception drinks area.

The following day we had a BBQ for lunch for all our guests, again everything was of a high standard.

Based on the our experienced we would highly recommend the radisson blu for your wedding day.

Stayed: July 2014
Edel C, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Conorfi,

Thank you for your recent review of Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us along with your Wedding Day especially your wonderful feedback in relation to Amy, who will be too delighted to receive your feedback.

I would like this opportunity to thank you for chosing to spend your special day with us and allowing us to have the chance to make it as special as possible for you.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your First Anniversary.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Myself and my husband recently stayed a this hotel in July 2014. On arrival they had the red carpet out, for us of course!!! There was a wedding on! We arrived into the lobby/reception area with large tiled floors, they looked a little dull... maybe they are meant to. We had a bit of a wait as we timed it badly with the wedding guests also checking in. Bless the girl that was bussing about trying to shorten a que by getting peoples names and telling them they were next to be checked in, it didn't really speed things up, but it made the people feel they were being looked after.
We got to the desk and met with a young male who checked us in. We got to the room and the first thing we noticed was the heat, the windows were opened, so we rang down and asked for a fan, our fan arrived promptly. That night the heat was terrible, really really hot. There is no air con in the rooms. There is down stairs, for such a modern hotel its a shame they never added it in when building it.
The next morning we had breakfast, all the usual buffet style, it was very nice, and piping hot. The dining room was very nice.
After breakfast we stopped by reception on our way out for the day, we spoke with the same guy that checked us in regarding the heat. I asked him if there was anything they could do with the heat, he suggested a fan, we told him we already had one, I said that I couldn't believe that there was no air con in such a modern hotel, his response "we don't have much call for air conditioning in this country" not sure where he thought i was from!! We are Irish, and nearly everywhere had Air Con installed at this stage. He said he would get a manager for us, which he did. Pauric the manager met us, and offered to take a look at our room to see what he could do. He offered us lunch in the hotel, but we didn't want to as we were going away for the day. regardless, this was a nice gesture. He was so nice to us when we were leaving, give us tips on where to visit and what to do. He was giving great plugs for west Cork, and he from Limerick!!! We took his advise and his map and set off for the day. We got a call from the hotel while we were out and it was Pauric confirming that he was moving us to another room. We returned and my husband was shown a choice of 2 rooms, he opted for one with a balcony which we left open all night, it was much cooler too. The rooms were both really nice, very modern design with lovely lighting on the bed headboard. Lots of storage space. The hotel is very suitable for people who want to visit places like Kinsale, Fota island, Cobh. We had a lovely time. Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for room 133 if available
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear golemma79,

Thank you for your recent review of Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will certainly relay your wonderful feedback to Padraig.

Edel Caufield

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night with partner and daughter. There was a wedding on at the same time, we weren't much disturbed. The room was lovely and they had set up an extra bed without being asked, very nice touch. We used the pool facilities which were excellent. We found the restaurant a little pricey and the food a little 'nouveau' but it was lovely and the service was excellent. Great parking facilities and not too far from Mahon Point shopping centre which has a cinema and plenty of shops. Will stay again if I find myself in Cork again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank verygerryheffernan

Dear verygerryhefferenan,

Thank you for your recent review of Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us .

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel is very good: clean and comfy, the rooms are large and the bathroom too. I have to say that if you are not driving then it is not a good spot as Little Island is outside Cork centre. The food is not excellent.
The Spa treatments we had were very good however I have to report that the pool was over crowded by kids. There was a sign in the pool saying that kids younger than 16 yo were not allowed in the pool but obviously this was not the case. So if you are looking for a quiet place where to relax do not use the pool. I have reported this and the manager came back to me advising that the sign was removed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Silvia P

Dear Silvia P,

Thank you for your recent review of Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork.

I would like to thank you for your feedback in relation to the rooms and our swimming pool.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The room temperature was at 27 degree celsius and could not be changed, hard to find a good sleep. Elevator did not work, I had to curry my luggage to my floor. He credit card machine at checkout did not work, delaying checkout process. The room was clean however and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear 244PeterR301,

I was disappointed to read of your experience during your stay with us.

Our Elevator was back in service along with the credit card machine shortly after your departure.