“Nice Bar Dreadful Staff Member”

Franciscan Well Brewery
Ranked #10 of 665 Restaurants in Cork
Price range: US$12 - US$18
Cuisines: Pizza, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sunday's Well
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Was here on the night of Saturday 12th July 2014 with husband and friends who are both 'regulars' and passionate craft beer drinkers. As a coeliac, I can longer drink beer so settle on wine when I am out (with much regret!). Whilst all those drinking beer loved each brew and its only reasonable to say that in this review, I feel it imperative to point out the very poor attitude of staff working there, with particular specific reference to one female bar attendant working in the front bar that night. Sadly I do not have her name.

First off, my husband and I arrived into the bar and what with him being a craft beer fanatic and home brewer, we headed towards the notice board to see of any upcoming festivals, notice's, etc. Two members of staff who had been collecting glasses approached us en- route to the bar, this lady in front. Unknown to us, we must have been blocking their access to the bar but instead of saying excuse me or something similar, next thing I knew I was being 'shoved' out of the way by this female member of staff with her arm. I stood back in shock yet no apology or even polite thanks followed, and said staff member continued on behind the bar. This is not acceptable in my view however at that stage I just carried on and let it go (stupidly).

Following this, we continued on and went to order drinks at the bar (which I now totally regret). Husband ordered pint and I asked for a wine list from said female staff member. I was scoffed at and smirked at. I acknowledge that this is a craft beer pub in which I am looking for wine but I really do enjoy craft beer pubs for the atmosphere, staff and usual extensive wine lists like majority of other craft beer pubs such as porterhouse, Galway Bay crew, etc... not to mention that I am coeliac.
I then asked what wines were available and the response I got was utterly shocking. "White or Red, which is it?" was what she then shouted at me. Both husband and I were totally embarassed. It got to the stage when a more friendly male member of staff had to intervene as even he could see how rude his colleague was being. I got my glass of wine eventually, but sadly the experience was horrendous, down to this particular lady.

Positives include (or so Im told) that the beers are fantastic, there is a very nice beer garden with lots of seating and room but that's pretty much it. We have never had food there and given the experience we now never will.

3  Thank chasingrainbows10

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The pizza was the star, which is unfortunate as we went for beer. The beer was good, but the range and price just wasn't great. The music was great (we went on a Monday) and the pizza was fantastic. Loved the outside/ inside beer garden

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stellar beer that is brewed in house. We also had pizza that was made fresh and very reasonably priced, 12 eur for a pizza that could be shared by 2 ppl. We showed up in the afternoon so service wasnt sharp, but once we asked the staff were happy to help.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Rebel Red is SOOOO delicious, I am trying so hard to find a way to get it in the States! I highly recommend! Other beers were great too!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Loved the beers and ciders we tried. Also loved the wood-fired pizza, made to order in the beer garden out back. The World Cup was on while we were visiting, and the beer garden was plenty big for both those who are and aren't soccer fans. Go for the beer and pizza, not for the decor.